Chapter 30

With a sickening lurch, Hermione found herself in what she recognized as the entrance hall of Malfoy Manor.

This can't be happening.

If she had any doubts before, this certainly wiped them all out. Draco really did hate her. The thought made her want to cry, not out of fear, but frustration about her sheer stupidity. As if someone like him could actually be interested in her! Their relationship, Sophie, Narcissa – it was all part of his task, an elaborate plot to deliver her to Voldemort.

"Ah, Ms. Granger, we meet again."

Speak of the devil.

The DeathEater who held her captive roughly pushed Hermione forward. Voldemort reached a bony finger under her chin. Hermione tried hard not to flinch, glaring at the snake-like figure in front of her.

"My, my, my, such spirit," Voldemort hissed. "Not to worry, we'll break it soon enough." He laughed. "You remember our last encounter, don't you Mudblood? Did you enjoy it? Did you enjoy seeing the life drain from your boyfriend's eyes? Such a shame. He was such a good-looking boy. Don't know why he wasted it on the likes of you." Hermione's eyes flashed angrily. Voldemort continued. "But you always did want the ones you can't have; the ones who are too good for you. A little birdie told me you have quite the crush on the young Malfoy." Voldemort paused watching Hermione. "Yes, you may be blocking your mind from me Mudblood but I can see it all over your face." He laughed. "Did you honestly believe he would want you?" The DeathEaters laughed with him. "No," Voldemort continued. "Draco was merely following orders...my orders. Speaking of which, where is he? Step forward Draco."

With a deep breath, Draco willed his mask to stay on and walked out from behind the crowd to stand in front of Voldemort.

"Well done," Voldemort said. "You will be rewarded for your service."

"Thank you my Lord," Draco replied, giving a deep bow. He did his best to avoid Hermione's eyes, knowing that one look would cause his resolve to break. Keeping Voldemort's trust was the only way to save her now.

Voldemort turned his attention back to the crowd and Draco stepped back. "Now that we have the mudblood here, Potter will surely come and we can finally finish what we started!"

The crowd cheered.

"But I don't see why we have to wait for Potter to have some fun," Voldemort continued. "Crucio!" He shouted, pointing his wand at Hermione. Hermione fell from her captor's grasp, writhing in pain on the floor. Draco had to give everything to stop himself from throwing his body on top of hers to protect her from the curse. His knuckles went white as he clenched his fists by his side.

After moment, Voldemort lifted the spell. "Well, this is no fun, I want to hear her scream!" He laughed evilly, lifting the silencing spell from Hermione. Soon, the sounds of her heavy breathing filled the room.

Hermione looked up from the floor. "You're wrong," she said to Voldemort. "Harry will never come for me. Thanks to your servant," she sneered, looking over at Draco. "Harry hates me."

Voldemort laughed darkly. "We'll see mudblood," he replied. "Potter has always been the...emotional type. No doubt he already has his broom in his hand. In the meantime, why don't we make you more useful, hmm? Whether or not he hates you now, you no doubt know what he and Dumbledore are planning with their precious Order."

Hermione remained silent, glaring up at Voldemort.

"No?" Voldemort asked. "Pity. Crucio!"

Hermione gasped as the agonizing pain of the curse took hold of her once more. Still, she refused to make a sound.