Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Draco Malfoy should have been on top of the world. Everything was finally coming together. Despite the setbacks he experienced in the beginning of the year, once he sat down and scheduled things out, he found life almost do-able. Well, whatever he did, it must've worked because he was chosen to be Head Boy. Yup, that's right – Head Boy.

Like everyone else, he heard Dumbledore's announcement at breakfast regarding the new Heads. However, unlike Granger, whom he swore choked on her spoon in excitement, he met the news with some apathy. Throughout the day, he wasn't entirely sure how he felt about the upcoming news so he decided to put it out of his mind. The whole day went by as most days did and if he looked back on it, Granger would probably be the only thing that would've stood out in that day. Granger choking on said spoon, Granger's bushy head vibrating in class as she tried to stay still, Granger's shoe turning blue, Granger's bushy head again, whacking Weasley in the face as she rapidly turned her head when the final bell rang, and Granger practically running out after Dumbledore after dinner.

The girl couldn't be subtle to save her life. Draco thought with a smirk.

He had gone to his room right after dinner, not wanting to squeeze in with the rest of the students as they crowded around the Entrance Hall. His robes weren't worth getting wrinkled for that. He was sure that someone would let him know who the "lucky" ones were and sure enough, Blaise walked in a few minutes later to tell him that he had gotten the position.

Shock was the first thing he felt. On some level he did expect it but he never thought it would actually happen. He was sure Scarhead would be Dumbledore's first choice.

I guess the Head Boy duties would've hampered his ability to save the world. Draco snickered. Can you imagine if all Voldemort had to do to achieve world domination was make Potter Head Boy?

In any event, Draco excused himself after Blaise delivered the news and went to grab his broomstick. Once he was up in the air, Draco took a deep breath of the cool night air and heaved a sigh. Flying always helped him clear his head. He loved flying and he desperately needed it to sort out his feelings on the matter at hand.

If he was happy with becoming a prefect, he should have been ecstatic after seeing that poster in the Entrance Hall. After all, it was one of the things his father wanted him to accomplish and it did tell people that he was the best of the best. However, one, he didn't need another thing to pile onto his already overloaded plate. Two, if he was being honest with himself, he was scared shitless of what his father or the Dark Lord would make him do now that he held such a high position in the school. And three, he wasn't sure why he had gotten it in the first place. He knew he was the smartest guy in his year (he only came in second to Granger after all, and even then, his grades were always pretty close to hers) and by all accounts, he deserved getting the Head Boy position. What bothered him though, was the possibility that his father – or worse Voldemort – had something to do with it. It's not that he would've given it to someone else who might've deserved it if that was the case, he wasn't that noble. It's just that, it would be nice to know for sure that he had gotten it on his own merit. Somehow, it was hard to believe that Dumbledore would've really picked him on his own merit, seeing as how he was evil and all that. And if, his father or the Dark Lord had anything to do with it, well, see reason #2.

On his way out, Draco had stopped in the Entrance Hall to look at the list himself, just to make sure Blaise wasn't kidding around. He confirmed that he had gotten it and he saw that he would be working with the new girl, Genevieve, next year. He was honestly floored when he saw that. He was more shocked than when he found out he had become Head Boy. Normally, he couldn't care less about Granger but if anyone was going to be Head Girl, it was her. He thought Divination was a load of bollocks but even someone as stupid as Trelawney would've put their money on Granger becoming Head Girl. It was just as inevitable as a Weasley having red hair and being poor forever – it was a fact of life!

Now, he was working with someone new. He didn't know how to feel about that either. He obviously would rather Avada himself than choose to work with Granger but the rare times that he entertained the thought of being Head Boy, he also mentally prepared himself for having a difficult time working with Granger. Though it might all be insults and arguments, at least with Granger he knew what to expect. Now he was working with Genevieve Harrington. He remembered when she first arrived at Hogwarts and how all the girls wanted to be her while all the guys wanted to have her. She was attractive, he'd give her that but he's seen (and had) lots of attractive girls before and she wasn't all that special. What held his attention was the fact that she looked vaguely familiar but he couldn't place her. It wasn't until a few hours later after overhearing other students that he realized she was a Harrington. Because the Harringtons were, of course, part of the wizarding upper class, they were invited to all the Malfoy events. Draco realized that he must've seen her a few times in France when his mother threw all those lavish parties. Aside from that, Draco didn't really know much about the new Head Girl and he didn't like that one bit. Two of the things Draco hated the most were surprises and being unprepared for them.

Draco was thinking about all of this while he was flying. The wind had considerably picked up whipping Draco in the face and making the night even colder which is just how he liked it. It had started to rain though so Draco decided to call it a night. He was flying back towards the main doors when lightning flashed illuminating the school grounds. At that moment, he saw someone fall out of the astronomy tower.

Not her. It was Draco's only thought as he sped toward the falling figure.

The figure approached the ground fast and Draco wasn't sure he would make it. He took a dive and spurred his broom faster, determined to reach the person before they lay flattened on the ground. Just when he thought it was too late, he was able to grab the person's collar and yank them up on his broom. He quickly steered the broom back up higher into the air before both of them crashed to the ground. The rain was coming down in torrents now. When they were high enough, Draco let the broom hover as he panted to catch his breath and calm the adrenaline pumping through him, the person he saved still slumped over his broom.