New School

Me, my mom and my dad were all moving from L.A. to Atlanta Georgia. I was the only child and I had a lot of friends. Friends that I may never see again. I will still keep in contact with most of them, and the majority of my friends weren’t really my friends at all. Mom and dad were fed up with the hustle and bustle of L.A.’s traffic, the overpopulation and the pollution of the beloved city I called home. Yes, it may have its flaws but it was where I grew up and I was sad to say good-bye as we drove along the Golden Gate Bridge. I sighed deeply as I stared at a picture of my bestest friends: Lacey, Paula and Alexandria. Ahhh good times. We were driving to the airport in San Francisco and taking a one stop flight out to our destination. I’ve only been to the east coast a few times. Mostly to go to NYC. It’s the polar opposite of L.A. and it sort of reminds me of home but not quite. I also went to family trips down in Orlando Florida at Disney World. I enjoyed those times. They were so special to me, because my parents didn’t have demanding jobs like they did know. Quite frankly, I don’t know what types of jobs my parents worked so I didn’t bother to ask.

Mom: Hey sweetie, you ok back there?

Me: Yes mom. I’m fine.

Dad: You know Jessica; you’ll make new friends at your new school. Heck, a great gal like you can make friends anywhere you go. No matter our occupations. Right honey?

Mom: Of course dear.

Me: *sad* yea, I guess you’re right.

Oh and if you didn’t know, my dad calls me by my real name Jessica. I don’t like that name. My middle name is “justice.” Not sure why but I’ve been called that ever since.

****Atlanta, Georgia****

We have arrived in the ATL two days ago and now it was time for me to get ready for school. I already had my outfit planned out. A blue and black long flannel shirt, khaki pants, and black and white high top converses. I wanted to rep the west coast amongst the eastsiders so I can feel like a misfit. I really didn’t belong here but who said I had to fit in?

Mom: Justice honey where on earth are you going in that outfit?

Dad: yea, this isn’t south central L.A. anymore. You’re on the east coast.

Me: *shrugs* so? Can’t I wear what I want too? I don’t want to be here anyways.

Mom: We never told you that you couldn’t wear what you wanted, but we expected you to have a little class. It’s your first day of school.

Dad: And besides, you don’t have a choice. You’re 16 years old and you still live with us. Now change into that outfit we bought you.

Me: *rolls eyes* FINE. Where is it?

Mom: It’s in your closet sweetie, in a dry cleaner garment bag.

I shooked my head and stormed off. I couldn’t believe this. It wasn’t fair. I’m 16, don’t and a human being with my own rules, my own decisions, and my own style so why couldn’t I be the person who I wanted to be without my parents interfering all the time. I opened my small closet to find this see through dry cleaning bag when my eyes widened at the hideous “outfit” my parents bought me before we left L.A. Ugh. This wasn’t some “outfit” this was a “uniform.” It was so plain, I was afraid that the popular kids would make fun of me if I would be caught dead wearing it. The outfit had a white collar short-sleeve shirt and khaki slacks. Basic right? I know. So I took the stupid thing out of the closet and laid it on the bed. I stripped out of “my” outfit that was already planned and put on my uniform “my” parents wanted me to wear. I walked in the living room and presented myself to them.

Me: Happy?

Mom: Awww Jessica you look so adorable. *pinches cheeks* Except for your hair.

Me: What’s wrong with my hair?