Chapter 7

December 20, 2008

It's a Saturday night and Paul & I just finished another round of NBA in the entertainment room of the Tanchingco Mansion while Jade quietly sat on the end of the couch— reading. I looked at her as the faint light from the lampshade gently grazed her pale skin. She placed her pinky finger in her mouth and gently bit the ends of her nails like she always does, as she scrunched up her nose in deep thought. She's so lost in her own little world that she didn't even notice that her black rimmed glasses slipped from the bridge of her cute button nose. Adorable.

I smiled and looked back at the TV screen when I noticed Paul staring at me with a wide mischievous grin on his face.

"Ang ganda ni Shobe, 'no?" He whispered.

"Huh? Ah... Eh..." I stuttered.

"Come on, you can tell me." He smiled encouragingly.

"Lagi naman eh." I said in an inaudible whisper.

Paul's smile widened as he took the controller from the coffee table and started another game.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." He winked and looked back at the screen to pick his team.

Paul and I became closer when I stumbled upon him playing alone in the entertainment room. I asked him if I could join and he excitedly threw a controller at my direction. He told me that he has no one to play with ever since their Kuya Gab went away, and that Jade could never be bothered to play video games.

It became our habit that he would come knocking at Jade's door every Saturday night and would ask me to play with him while Jade will continue on reading at the corner of the room.

Paul was like the brother I never had, and him finally knowing my secret made me feel somewhat... free. If only I could admit it to Jade.

A knock on the door disturbed my thoughts and Tita Amanda's head popped in the small opening of the door.

"Paparating na ang Ahya niyo. Maghanda na kayo, tatawagin ko nalang kayo pag naka-ready na ang pagkain. Althea, saluhan mo rin kami mag dinner. You can't say no." Tita Amanda smiled and went out the door.

A few minutes later, we were called downstairs for dinner.

I saw a striking young man in his early twenties with eyes that resemble Jade's. He came up to me and with a gentle smile on his face, reached out his hand and introduced himself.

"You must be Althea. Lagi ka sa akin nakukwento ni Shobe. It's nice to finally meet you, I'm Gab."

"Lagi rin po kayong nakukwento sa akin ni Jade. Nice to meet you din po." I smiled and shook his hands.

"And guys, may ipapakilala nga pala ako sa inyo," he added.

I noticed another person in the room with a familiar face when I remembered who it is.

"Guys, this is David. He's the son of the boss of the company na pinapasukan ko for internship. Nalaman ko na taga rito din pala siya and he's alone tonight so I invited him to join us for dinner." Said Gab.

David, like the gentleman that he is, greeted and shook the hands of everyone, obviously trying to charm his way off. I was surprised that he remembered my name, but what infuriated me was the lingering look and knowing smile he gave to Jade.

Jade was seated between me and David. I could hear everything they're talking about and I could clearly tell that he was trying to impress her. What make matters worse is that Jade seemed interested.

Am I jealous? Maybe. Probably... Most definitely, yes. I was so pissed that I didn't notice that I was continuously stabbing my dinner with my fork.