Chapter 9

March 28, 2009

"Jaaaaade! Congratulations! Why didn't you tell me?" I ran up to her as she walks down the aisle, crushing her into a tight embrace.

"I wanted to surprise you. Okay naman ba speech ko?" She asked worriedly.

"You were brilliant." I smiled as I handed her a bouquet of white lilies and hydrangeas.

"You didn't have to. But... Thank you" She blushed as she smelled the flowers.

"I love them," she added.

"Our Ms. Valedictorian deserves the best, right?" I teased as I laced our arms together and guided her towards the exit where her family is waiting for her.

Today was Jade's high school graduation. I was running a bit late because I had my final exam this morning, but thankfully, I arrived just when Jade was about to deliver her valedictory speech.

She was amazing... as usual.

I was surprised, actually. I know Jade is smart and wise beyond her years but I didn't know that she was running for valedictorian. All the days we spent together and she didn't mention anything.

This girl never ceases to amaze me.

The celebratory dinner with her family was uneventful. A couple of praises from her relatives were thrown, and Tito Oscar was up all night showing off her precious daughter where Jade just responded with a tight lipped smile. I asked her if she was okay, but she said she was just tired.

Batchi, Sally, and David also came. Jade also invited Abby but she couldn't make it because there's no one to take care of her baby girl tonight.

David became our friend since Gab always brings him at the mansion. At first, we were a bit awkward with each other, but ever since he joined Paul and I in a match of Tekken, we became okay. He would sometimes hang out with us at the coffee shop wherein he also met my friends and Jade's. We eventually got along just fine. Especially when I noticed how he stopped looking at Jade like a fresh meat or something.

We never talked about what he saw during Simbang Gabi. I just assumed that he understood.

I am not claiming Jade to myself or anything like that. She's no one's property. But I am very grateful for David.

When dinner was over, Tito Oscar and Tita Amanda came up to our table holding a thick envelope.

"Anak, may sorpresa ako sa inyo ng mga kaibigan mo." Tito Oscar proudly smiled as he gave Jade the envelope.

"Dada, what's this—" she paused, and for the first time that night, Jade genuinely smiled.

"Oh my God! We're going to Bora!" she shrieked upon realizing that the envelope contains 5 plane tickets to Boracay.

"Yes hija. You and your friends deserve this vacation amd besides, last weekend niyo na makakasama si Sally at balita ko ay kukunin ka na ng parents mo para mag-aral sa States, tama ba hija?" Said Tito Oscar as he leaned closer so that his daughter could give him a kiss on the cheeks.

"Yes tito, I'm leaving next week." Sally happily said.

"3 days, no supervision. Himala at pumayag ang Dada mo kaya mag-iingat kayo dun Jade ha. Tatawag kayo palagi. Althea, ikaw na bahala dito sa unica hija namin ha." Tita Amanda added.

"Opo, tita." I said excitedly.

"Sige na, tumayo na kayo diyan dahil tonight's your flight. Wag na kayo magaalala dahil nakahanda na lahat ng gamit niyo, naipagpaalam ko na rin kayo sa inyong mga magulang."