Chapter 27

February 28, 2012

"Congrats, Jade!" we said in chorus when Jade entered our unit, while Batchi fumbled with the party poppers.

Wila grabbed the party poppers from her hands and popped it herself, saying, "ano ba yan, Batchi! Yan na nga lang trabaho mo palpak pa!"

"Guys, what's this? Anong meron?" Jade asked curiously while surveying the balloon and confetti clad room.

I handed her the thick envelope that the mail man delivered this morning and explained, "sorry, love, pinakialamanan ko na, na-excite kasi ako eh. Read it."

She opened the envelope containing her acceptance letter to NYU, not only that— she got accepted in full scholarship.

"Oh my god!!! Is this for real?! Full scholarship?" she asked, almost in tears.

I couldn't fight the tears that are also starting to form in my eyes. I'm so proud of her. This is everything she ever dreamed of. She was only aiming for at least half, but she got it in full— all expenses paid. All she has to pay for is her plane ticket, and everything else is already taken care of. She's that good.

"You deserve it, love," I said and kissed her tear stained cheeks.

"This is it, love. Our dreams are finally at arms reach. In a few months we'll be living the dream in New York!"

My chest tightened upon hearing her say that.

I haven't told her yet. How could I, right? I really do wanna tell her, but I don't wanna ruin this moment for her.

"Mamaya na lambingan niyo. Kain na tayo. Kanina pa kami gutom na gutom kakahintay sa'yo," Batchi interrupted just when I was about to lean in and kiss Jade.

We all laughed and we headed towards the dining area to eat the dinner that I prepared for them. I invited our friends over to celebrate this moment with us. David is currently in the US, while Cathleen said that she'll be running a little late, so it's just me, Jade, Wila, and Batchi.

As soon as I got the envelope, I already knew that she got accepted, given the striking difference from the thickness of hers compared to mine. I immediately called our friends and set up a dinner to surprise Jade. I'm even planning to let them hear the new song that I composed which I think is very suitable for the occasion.

"Kamusta na pala ang buhay may asawa? Long time no see and hear ah!" Wila asked while she reached out for the bowl of rice.

"Oo nga, hindi na kayo nagpaparamdam ah, nakakatampo na. Lalo na itong si Althea," said Batchi.

It's true, we haven't seen our friends in a long time. The last time we saw them was during Christmas Eve, but we really didn't have much chance to catch up with each other since we're in the presence of our families. Jade has been really busy, and me— well I don't really have an excuse for not keeping in touch. I guess I've been too caught up in taking care of Jade.

"Sorry guys, naging busy lang talaga, but I know you guys understand," Jade explained.

Batchi huffed and pointed her fork at me accusingly, "ikaw Jade naiintindihan namin, eh itong si Althea? Nakita ko nga pala tatay mo sa coffee shop, sabi sakin di ka na rin daw umuuwi dun sainyo."

I took a long drink of the iced tea— delaying her question, good thing Jade answered to rescue me.

"Nako, nakakahiya naman kay Tatay. Kasalanan ko yun, ayaw kasi ako iwan dito ni Althea eh, tapos nasakto pa na may sched ako pag weekends, kaya hindi ko rin siya masamahan umuwi."

The three of them looked at me, expecting me to say anything. The words seemed to be stuck in my throat, for reasons that I don't know of. Guilt, probably?