38 - huffed and puffed

Brian stayed long enough to help her do the dishes, and then he wished her sweet dreams and let himself out.  He was half way to his bike when he realized he was not alone.  Dave was standing beside a large shrub, hidden from the house; so Brian new straight away that Sam’s father had wanted to speak to him without her knowing about it.

“Dave.”  He quietly acknowledged the older man’s presence.

Dave looked at him for a long time without saying a word; judging him.  “You said you loved her.”  His words were almost an accusation.  “Don’t you think it’s a bit early to say or know?”

“No.”  Brian said confidently, not rattled at all that Dave had heard part or all of their conversation.  “I don’t believe in wasting time with something as important as the woman I love.”  He took a few steps closer so that Dave could see him better.  “And, keeping that in mind; I would like your permission to court her.  And as soon as she agrees; I want to put a ring on her finger and marry her.”

Dave narrowed his eyes.  “Are you telling me or asking for my permission?”

“Neither.  I’m asking for your help.  If you can’t see now that I would do anything to make her happy, you will soon.  And I can do even more for her when she is married to me.”

“You’re a cocky, self assured bugger; aren’t you?”  Dave asked crassly.  “You remind me of myself, when I was younger.  A lot younger than I am right now.”  He kept looking at Brian thoughtfully; making up his mind.  “Well; if her behaviour the past few days is anything to go by; you have certainly managed to make an impression.  She has been acting all weird; she had been as moody as can be.  But; she also keeps on smiling at nothing in particular.  Can’t wait to leave here in the mornings; and I don’t think it is just because she gets to save the life of that silly tree.”

Dave punched his finger in Brian’s chest in warning.  “She is in a very fragile state at the moment.  Sam took her mother’s illness and its consequences very badly; it has taken her this long to get over it.  But I suppose it is never easy to find out you have a genetic time bomb ticking inside of you.”

Brian’s eyes narrowed and Dave didn’t miss it.  “She hasn’t told you about that?”

“She only said she can’t have kids.”  Brian admitted reluctantly.  He did not like going behind her back; he was sure she would tell him everything he needed to know when she was comfortable enough to do so.  Perhaps he should just end this conversation right now.  “I know that we haven’t had a lot of time to get to know each other very well just yet; I am sure we both have important stuff to discuss once we know where we stand with each other.”

Dave’s mouth twitched.  He had caught the unspoken admonition.  “Perhaps that is true young man.”  He admitted.  “So tell me, what secrets are you hiding?”

This time Brian’s lips twitched.  Dave was very perceptive; but then, Sam did say he was in special ops.  That meant he definitely knew how to use his brain.  Weighing his options for a split second, he decided to be as honest as he could be without actually saying anything.  “The dangerous kind.”

*****

That Friday morning Cassy was even sicker than the day before and Alex insisted on making an appointment for her at the first available doctor he could find.  He grabbed the telephone directory and paged around until he found the listing for physicians.  Then he had a merry time going down the list trying to find the earliest appointment possible.  It frustrated him that with so many of them available the earliest any one of them could see Cassy was at two thirty.  Are humans always this sickly?