39- A long time to wait

Amanda survived the wave of new emotions as it swept her along into a direction she did not want to go.  A shudder shook her world apart as she fought for control over her body.  It did not help at all that she could feel his joy seeping through her; her wolf affirming the validity of the mating.  This is not what she wanted.  Not now!  She was still too broken hearted to appreciate the complexity of all the different sensations and strange emotions clouding her mind.

As soon as she found the balance she was looking for, she stepped out of his warm embrace.  And for an instant, she regretted her actions.  But only for an instant.  Then she remembered that she was not as happy as she should be that she had at last found her mate; the one that was supposed to understand her better than she understood herself.  Bracing herself; she looked up into his eyes.  And sighed.  Damn, he had gorgeous eyes.  It felt as if she were sinking into an emerald pool of desire, heating her insides up until she was ready to burst into flames.

Quickly she shut her eyes.  Get a grip already!  You are not going to fall into his arms and give in to all of this so easy.  It wouldn’t be fair to you or him if you did that now.  You still have to come to terms with that fool of a boyfriend that had been stringing you along for three years and then just out of the blue; he had decided that you were too immature for him.  Even though she had met her mate; the thought of her so called boyfriend’s betrayal left her reeling and she opened her eyes quickly when she felt dizzy.

Dennis battled against every instinct he had to draw her back into his embrace; the scent coming off of her was pushing him too his limit.  Her body was going into heat, and to top it off; the natural reaction her body had to this kind of attraction was driving him crazy.  Did she have any idea what she was doing to him?  Perhaps that oxygen mask Cassy was talking about could help him keep his mind focused.  And right now he should be focused on the cause of the pain he saw in her eyes and in the way her face still had signs of heartache.

Her eyes flashed open suddenly and he felt his heart tighten as if it had just been squeezed, slow, careful breaths lessened the pain he felt in sympathy with her.  Who on earth had hurt her like this and where could he find them so that he could tear something apart?

Slowly she lifted her hand her to his face and let her fingers run across his cheek.  “I’m sorry,” she said hoping he wouldn’t ask her to explain; because she did not have all the words to describe the mixed emotions that were tearing her in two.

He took her hand on his face in his and squeezed it gently.   “Don’t worry about that; we will get over it.”  Dennis dropped his head until their foreheads were resting against each others.  For a while they stood like this until the quiet discussion around them brought them back to reality.

Amanda’s grandfather was busy telling Cassy that because of the triplets, her body was having a hard time adjusting.  He gave her a few random tips about what to do for her morning sickness.

“In the end, every woman experiences pregnancy differently.  What works for some; will do absolutely nothing for the others.  The best advice I can give, is for Alex to wake up a bit earlier and for him to give you something mealy to eat to counteract the empty, nauseous feeling early in the morning.  Any plain kind of cracker or biscuit should do the trick.  And some women swear by apple juice.  Try them all until you find something that works for you.  But if you don’t; I suspect that due to you being a shifter; you should not feel like this for longer than about two weeks in total.”

Dennis did not miss the concerned and curious glances her grandfather gave them; the way his eyes would take stock of her almost made him growl.  Did the old man expect him to carry her off?  He and Amanda slipped out of the crowded examination room so that they could have a talk without anybody listening and peeking at them the whole time.