35

11 years later
I woke up to Britney screaming. I bolted out of my bed and rushed to her room. She sat up in her bed with her knees to her chest, head in her hands. I sat next to her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders.

"What if I'm Divergent? What will happen to me?" She cried

Tobias stood in the doorway. I let go of Britney and let her sit up. She stared at me.

"There is a guarantee that you are Divergent." I said

"What? How do you know?" Britney asked

I looked at Tobias. Britney gasped. I looked back at her.

"You're the extremely dangerous one they talk about in school. Oh my god." Britney said, backing away from me

"Divergents aren't dangerous. Everyone is just scared because we are different from everyone else." I explained

"What should I choose?" Britney asked

"Tell me your results when you get home okay?" I said sweetly

Britney nodded. I stood up and walked out of her room, Tobias following behind me. I went into my bathroom and changed into a tank top and training pants. I slipped on my boots and pulled my hair into a pony tail. I walked back into the main room. Britney was sitting on our bed, dressed and shaking. I sat next to her.

"You ready?" I asked

She took a deep breath and nodded. We both stood. We all walked out of the apartment and to the train. All of the 16 year olds were getting on the train. I gave Britney one last small smile. She hopped onto the train.

Tobias and I headed to the dining hall. There we saw Uriah, Zeke, Shauna and Christina. I sat down next to Christina. Her belly was showing more now. Tobias sat next to me.

"Did you tell him?" I asked

"I just did and he just stormed out. Says he doesn't want to have kids that's why we gave away the first one." Christina said angrily

We ate breakfast in silence. After breakfast, Tobias and I went back to our apartment. There, we found Britney sitting in a corner. I ran over to her and sat next to her.

"What were your results mom?" Britney asked shakily

"I got 3 why?" I asked

"Dauntless, Erudite, Abnegation?" Britney asked

"Oh my god." I muttered

I stood up and started pacing. She won't survive this. I sat down on my bed and cradled my head in my hands. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up. It was Britney. She sat down next to me.

"What should I choose?" She asked with pleading eyes

"Dauntless. I am the dauntless born trainer this year. I could help you." I said

She nodded and eventually stood.

"I'm gonna go to bed." Britney said.

I nodded as she walked to her room and closed the door.

Next morning
I stood by the net, waiting for the initiates to arrive. I have been tense all day. What if she didn't choose Dauntless. She'll die! Then the first initiate hits the net. A blur of black bouncing back from the fall. When the person finally settles, Tobias and I walk towards the net. Britney pokes her head up and starts laughing. Tobias pulls her off the net.

"Would you like to change your name?" I asked

"Brit." She smiled

"FIRST JUMPER! BRIT! Welcome." I said

Then the rest of the initiates come flying down. We end up with 6 Dauntless, 4 Candor, 2 Erudite and 1 Amity. Tobias took the transfers to show them around and then to their dorm. I led the Dauntless to their dorm.

"You can hang out here but be in the dining hall by lunch or you're dropping in the ranks." I said strictly

"You can't do that!" A voice called

I recognized it as belonging to Zach, Uriah's son.

"I can do that and if I wanted to deal with a bunch of candor, I would have joined Candor." I hissed

As I left the room, I heard faint 'oo's and 'burn's. I walked to the cafeteria and looked for Tobias. I found him sitting where he sat when I was in initiation. I sat next to him.

"Revisiting old memories are we?" I asked.

He didn't answer he just stared blankly at his plate.

"Four." I said.

He didn't answer. He still stared blankly at his plate.

I nodded and turned to my own plate. I ate quickly. When I finished, I walked out of the cafeteria. I went to my apartment. I locked the door behind me and slipped off my boots. I flipped down on my bed, eventually curling into a ball on my side. I fell asleep.

************
I woke sitting in a chair, tied down. I struggled to break free but the chair was bolted to the floor. Tobias emerged, eyes pitch black, just like Marcus had been in his fear landscape. He held a belt in his hand as he approached me.

"How dare you be Divergent Brit. How dare you." He hissed before hitting me across the face with the belt.

Then I realized, I'm not me, I am Britney. He hit me again and again.

"Stop." I pleaded.

Then he pulled out a gun.

"Goodbye." He hissed

The gun went off with a loud bang.