{4} Stay Alive

Serge's father, Vincent, is on the side! -->

~~~

I waked up to see a wall white and no dresser. I sat up quickly and searched for the one thing that keeps me sane. I started to bang and kick the walls. I didn't like being in here. Where the hell is it? Why can't I find it? Who moved it?

"Eddie? W-what the hell, man?" I heard a voice said. I got on my knees and dug in my bag, trying to find it.

"Eddie! Calm down. What are you looking for?" The voice got louder and louder and then something warm touched my back. I froze and relaxed. I heard footsteps booming across the hall and then the door slammed opened.

"What happened?" Vincent questioned quickly. I didn't look up. Did I want to tell him what happened? Chase knew but he didn't know if he should tell him or not like me.

"Are you hurt?" He voiced softened. Did he care for us? Why is his voice soft? I opened my mouth and I was going to answer him when I remembered what they were and how they forced us, verbally, here.

I clutched the bag and said, "Get out. This is none of your business, dog."

"Eddie-" Chase started.

I heard the door slam and I looked up quickly to see the wall cracking a little. I turned my head to look at Chase who had a disapproval look.

"Why did you say that? You could've told him the truth," Chase said.

I glared at him. "Have you forgotten that they aren't human? You can't trust them, Chase. It's either you join them or you join the Slayers."

Chase nodded slowly. He knew he couldn't choose. If he did, he'll be killed by both groups. They didn't need new breeds running around crazy and unknown wolves trying to control his thirst to kill.

"Anyways, what were you looking for?" Chase asked. I looked back at my bag.

"The picture of my family. I always have it next to me because it's the only thing that makes me sleep at night."

"Why?"

"Wouldn't you want your family next to you?"

He didn't answer. I got up and walked out of the room into the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. My dark brown eyes looked dull, my hair tossed wildly, and little cuts on my lips. I turned around and lifted my shirt up enough to see my back. I looked at myself in the mirror, closed my eyes and groaned. No. Not this again. I don't have time to deal with this. I pulled my shirt down and ran a hand through my hair. I need my pills. I need my picture. I need a cigarette.

There was a bang on the door. I quickly did my business, washed my hands, and before opening the door, I took another look at myself. I lifted my shirt and there was black liquid sliding on my stomach to the floor. I pulled my shirt back down and opened the door.  I looked into annoyed brown eyes and before he could say anything, I walked past Serge and walked into the room. Chase was texting on my phone, his back leaning on the wall and his legs crossed.

"Why are you using my phone?" I said and walked to my bag. I took out the necessary things I need to get ready for school.

"I used my phone last night while you were sleeping. I was in a deep conversation," he said not taking his eyes off my phone.

I rolled my eyes. Chase always had deep conversation with his big brother, Kristopher. Kristopher went to college last year and Chase would get panic attacks if Kristopher doesn't text him. Chase was like his mother. She was worried about her kids and husband, but strong when someone hurts them.

"Leave my phone alone before you I lose battery. You know how that shit takes long," I said and threw his shirt on his face. He threw it back at me but I dodged it easily. He groaned and went back texting.

"Dick." I heard him muttered.

"Wimp." I said back and smiled at his glare.

~~~

I quickly walked downstairs to see Vincent reading the newspaper and a mug in his hand. He had glasses which shocked me. Aren't werewolves supposed to see clearly?

"Not all werewolves are the same. Eddie," Vincent said and took a glance at me. I thought of a mean word and I heard growl. I walked to the fridge and opened to see bloody meat and beer cans and bottles scattered around. I wrinkled my nose and slammed the fridge door shut.

"Don't you have any human food? Some people might be a vegetarian," I said and looked at him.

"Are you a vegetarian?" He asked with the newspaper covering his face.

"No."

"Then shut up and go to school."

"I have a question."

He moved the newspaper away from his face and when he saw I was serious, he sighed and took off his glasses. "How long are we staying here?"

His blue eyes searched in mine. I wanted to go home. I wanted to see my parents. I can't stay here another night. I might go crazy without my picture and pills. "Look Eddie, I know you want to go home but we can't have humans knowing that we exist. I wished you weren’t here, but it's the rules."

"Fuck the rules!" I screamed. My hands gripped the table and I started to shake. My pills. I need them. I need a cigarette.

"We don't "fuck the rules", Eddie. This is life or death and I pick life. This isn't stuff to play around with. Gamma means business."

Vincent's eyes dropped to the newspaper in front of him and I sighed slowly. "Can I at least get my other stuff and say goodbye?"

He raised an eyebrow. "What makes you think that you're going to stay here long?"

"Long enough to stay alive."

"Stay alive? From who?"

I didn't answer him. I set my jaw tight and looked around but him.

"Fine, but you can't visit them, okay?"

I nodded. I heard a chair move and Vincent was in my view. "Okay?"

"Okay. Fine. Whatever."

I grabbed my jacket and walked out of the kitchen, walking outside. I took a cigarette and lit it. I sucked on it hard and blew it out harsh making my throat a little dry. If I could stay alive by killing mutts, I could stay alive by living with them.