{20} I Can't Sleep

When I inside the cabin, I walked to the kitchen to see Serge and Clayton sitting down on the kitchen chairs with their arms crossed over their chest and they were breathing heavily. They looked like they could break everything that was in the kitchen. Chase was standing behind them with a drink in his hand.

"Denis is not supposed to be alive," Serge growled and flipped over the table.

Chase and I jumped. Why can't they leave us alone? Denis knows and he'll know more tomorrow. I put my hand on my cheek and I could feel the warmth of Denis' lips. It was a friendly thing, nothing more.

I glared at Serge and said, "He's innocent just like Aria. Leave him, us, alone. This isn't your problem."

"It's my goddamn problem when I have a big mouth Slayer telling off his friends about our kind. I will speak to my father about this."

"Does it look like I give a shit? Tell your daddy. How about you tell your mommy too and see if she cares?!"

Serge grabbed my hoodie and slammed me onto the wall. "Never talk about my mom ever again or I'll ripe your throat with my teeth."

I stared dead in his eyes and leaned closer to him, our breaths together.

"I don't think you got the wolf balls to do that, freak," I whispered and pushed him away.

Segre eyes flashed with hurt but then they turned blank. What he said to me didn't hurt me at all. I knew it was going to say some werewolf shit and show off. Vincent appeared and glared at me before looking at his pack.

"I need you. Now," Vincent ordered.

Serge growled and they followed him. They walked into a room and the door slammed. I sighed and looked at Chase who was taking sips from his drink. He threw his cup away and ran a hand through his hair. I stand to him, leaning my hip on the kitche counter and took out a cigarette.

'This is how we met...'

I blew out the smoke and waved my smoke around in the air.

"Shut up, mutt," I said and put the cigarette back in my mouth.

Chase raised an eyebrow and asked, "Are you okay?"

I nodded. I wasn't okay. I had a dead mutt's voice in his head and he couldn't make him go away. How insane is that?

Chase looked at me with his head tilted. "What if Denis is a werewolf?"

I froze and looked at Chase. I haven't thought of that. "We forget about him. He isn't us."

My heart clenched when I thought of that. I couldn't forget about Denis. At this moment, he meant something to me and I couldn't leave behind the people I cared.

"We can't. We are protecting him now."

I frowned. "You really shouldn't be talking about business, Chase. They can hear us."

Chase rolled his eyes and yelled, "Stop listening to us! Get a life!"

It was my turn to raised an eyebrow. "Are you okay?"

Chase nodded and looked around, avoiding gaze.

'I can't sleep, with these hands around my neck.'

I lowered my cigarette when the man said that. I remembered a few days again when I felt a hand on my throat. I rubbed my hand on the front of my throat and  swallowed a lump in my throat.

'I can't sleep, with these hands around my neck.'

I dropped my cigarette in the sink and quickly walked upstairs to my room. I shut the door behind me and jumped on my bed. I pulled the blanket to my body and shut my eyes tight. I had to sleep. If I sleep, the voice would go away and he won't say that. I felt my heart beat go slow when I calmed myself. I shouldn't be scared. I should taking over this voice. I smiled faintly when I felt myself fall into a nice sleep. His voice got quieter and quieter, and I was drifting off to sleep when I felt something on my neck.

I snapped my eyes open to see Chase standing over me. I smiled and I was going to sit up when I was pulled down. My eyes widen and Chase had an evil smirk on his face. Oh, how much I never wanted to see it. It was twisted and sick. I wanted to face palm myself when I kept the lights on. I grabbed Chase's hands that were on my neck and tried pulling them away.

"I can't sleep, with these hands around my neck," Chase said monotonously.

"Chase! Let go!" I screamed and struggled. I twisted and turned and pulled but he had a iron grip. He tightened his grip. His nails were digging into my skin, blood sliding on my neck to my chest. I gasped and tried crawling away from him.

"Chase! Stop!" I screamed again.

This time, tears were running down on my cheeks. I haven't cried this much in my life. Who would want their best friend to kill their other best friend?

"Breathe, don't sleep," Chase said. It wasn't Chase talking. It was the man's voice. He was controlling Chase. The Chase that was my best friend. "You’re so pretty in a body bag."

"No, I'm not! Chase!" I roared.

"Now close your eyes and let it end."

I screamed loudly, with my eyes shut. And then breathed. I opened my eyes slowly and saw Chase, Clayton, Serge, and Vincent standing above me. I sat up quickly, rubbing my neck. Chase's hands weren't holding my neck. I looked at my shirt. No blood. I slowly looked up at them and felt tears running down my cheek. The only person who could see me weak is Chase, not these fleabags.

"Hey buddy. Don't cry or I'll cry with you," Chase said softly and got on his knees.

He smiled warmly and placed a hand on my cheek. It was the same cheek that Denis kissed. I hiccupped and smiled. I knew it was the real Chase. Not the Chase who was being controlled by a dead mutt.

"Why were you screaming?" Chase asked slowly. My smiled faded and I looked away. He didn't need to know. They didn't need to know.

"It's nothing. Just-just don't make me go to sleep, okay?" I ordered and Chase raised an eyebrow but nodded. I looked at the mutts and they were confused and worried. I huffed and lay down my bed.

"You can go," I said and turned the away so I wouldn't have to see them. I heard their footsteps move towards the door and the door opened, and then closed. A weight dropped next to me and an arm wrapped around my waist.

"They're gone, Eddie. Tell me what happened in your dream," Chase muttered.

I gulped and cleared my throat. "I don't want to talk about it, Chase. You wouldn't like it."

"Please, Eddie. I'm trying to help out my best friend. I haven't seen you cried this much."

I stayed quiet for a few minutes. Chase sighed and I felt him move, the arm disappearing. I blinked, trying not to cry but I failed.

I let a few tears go before saying, "I can't sleep, with these hands around my neck."