{41} The Dead Has Come Back: Part III

My granddad wasn't all that bad. We went fishing, bke riding, ice skating, and all the things that could make their grandson happy. His wife died when I turned thirteen, which was odd, but then he told me the truth. The whole truth. He told me about werewolves and Slayers and my dad. I thought he was nuts because that was only in books. He actually read me books about werewolves and slaying them and burning them. But knowing that they are real can be the scariest thing for a thirteen year old. I told Chase and Chase told his father and we had a group meeting. 

"We can't have your mother know about this," my dad whispered.

My eyes widen and I felt my heart squeeze in pain. How could I not tell my mom? She was my second best friend, my mother for crying out loud! It was too much for me so I walked upstairs into my room and looked out the window, wondering how my dad knew about werewolves and told me in a late age. I rememebred when the door opened and Chase and his dad came in without knocking.

"Are you okay, bud?" Chase's father, Mat, asked.

I chuckled and wiped my cheeks. Whenever I look out the window, I would cry myself and wonder why. I shouldn't be crying because I'm not going to join, right? I looked at them and Chase frowned. He walked over me and put his arm over my shoulders.

He pulled me close to him and whispered, "Don't cry or you'll know what happens."

I smiled through my tears and chocked. It wasn't a sad chocked. It was a humor chock whenever Chase gave me a silly face that mocked his brother's, Kris. Even though they look alike, they made different faces. Kris came in a knocked on the wall, asking for our attention.

"Mr. Cano wants to talk to us," he said quickly and rushed downstairs.

My happy mode decreased and I looked at Chase. Chase gave me a warm smile and got up, pulling my wrist. When we got downstairs, my dad clicked his phone off and moved his eyes on Chase's hand that was holding my wrist. He quickly let them go and my dad glared at us. I swallowed and waited for my dad to talk.

"Eddie, you're thirteen now. You're not a baby anymore."

I nodded and bit my lip. I hope he wasn't going to say what I think he's gonna say.

My dad sighed and took a knife behind him. He played with it and stopped. "Mat, hold him down."

I looked at Chase's dad and he had his eyes big. "Luke, you're not going to do it, are you?" Chase's dad chocked out. "I have to. It's the rules." I heard the sadness in my dad's voice. What was he talking about?

"Luke, he's your son. You-you can't do this to him!"

"I can do whatever the hell I want and I want you to hold him down!"

I jumped when I heard my screamed. My dad rarely scream and it scared the hell out of me. Chase's dad sighed and gave me sad eyes. He took a step toward me and Chase spoke. "Dad, you can't do this to him. He doesn't want it."

Kris grabbed Chase's shoulder and started pulling him back. Chase's dad put me on a chair and I looked at my dad, pleading with my eyes. Chase's dad ripped my shirt in half and that's when Chase lost it. He struggled, screaming hateful words to my dad and his. "Fuck you! Why are you doing this to him? Dad stop! Please! Get away from him! I hate you!"

My dad put the tip on the right side of my chest and pushed it, making me scream and scramble on my seat. Chase's dad held me down by my wrist as I screamed and cried. It felt like something cold was swirling around my soft skin, breaking it into something that was disgusting. My dad had a displeasing and hurt face as he did this. I didn't know he had feelings. I put my head back and screamed, crying for him to stop and let Chase go. Chase screamed as well but then it stopped. I felt the knife gone and I put my head down, my tears running down quickly. My granddad smiled.

I sniffed and looked up through my sloppy hair. "Fuck you." 

After the indicent, I had to be my dad's number one man. My dad's everything. And I never thought a second of it. Until now. 

"Granddad?" I asked with disbelief.

The smile stayed on his face as he played with the knife in his hand. It's been three years since I last saw him. He was on a hunt in L.A. to find someone who stole something from him. I told him it wasn't important but he said something about a book and saving the world. My granddad can be a little insane sometimes and he would end up getting his bones broken.

"Are ya gonna stare at me like a ghost, or are you going to give your pop a hug?" He asked playfully.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. "Why should I after what you've done to me?"

His smile dropped and he licked his lips. "Eddy boy,  you know why I didn't do anything. It was the rule."

I scoffed. "You rather let a rule come between us? What happened to my granddad who liked fishing and ice skating?"

"I never liked fishing because I don't like fish, and ice skating is for little kids."

I groaned and got up, walking to the door. I thought I would be happy to see my granddad, but now I remember why I wanted him gone. He was an jackass for an old man. I opened the door when a hand slammed it closed. I groaned again and turned around to see my granddad smoking.

"Grandma said you should stop smoking," I said.

"She also said I should stop drinking, but did I?" He put a finger up and waved it around.

I cracked a smile. "What the hell are you doing here?"

He took the cigarette out his mouth and blew out the smoke. "I came here to warn you and your pets."

Serge growled and got up, marching to my granddad. I quickly put my hand on my chest and felt him relaxed.

My granddad raised an eyebrow, looking between us. "I never knew you can keep a pup in check. Good job."

I nodded but it felt wrong to do that. Serge wasn't a pup; he was a person.

"What's going on?" I questioned.

"Lupo is here and he wants to talk to Vincent. Alone. I heard he has a deal with him and let us live."

I haven't met the wolf and he's already making threats?

"And, I need to talk to your dad."

My blood went on fire when I heard him say that. I didn't want anything with him right now. He could've kidnapped Chase and I, rebel for us. Instead, he listened to a fleabag.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I followed a furball. She was mumbling under her breath about ripping your throat and other shit. She was a real nut."

"What she looked like?"

"Red hair, blue eyes, a pericing on her nose. I thought she was a looker for ya."

My granddad punched my shoulder and I punched his back. We stared at each other, smiling but then I heard something that turned my smile upside down. Howls. My granddad looked around and then back at me. He grabbed my hand and put his knife in it.

I raised an eyebrow and opened my mouth when he said, "Good luck. I know what's going on. I'll meet you back at midnight. If I can't, call me. Do you still have my number?"

I nodded. He didn't need to ask. I still had t whenever I hated him. I still him, but he was family. He ruffled my hair and smiled. "I'm sorry for...everything."

My granddad quickly past me, opened the door and ran into the woods. I turned around and watched him. The chilly air making me hug myself as I watched the man who trained me run away from me again. Serge slammed the door shut and looked at me.

"He seems...nice," he said.

I blinked and chuckled. "You have no idea."