Something Worse

Raya's POV

I really hate this damn Devil Fruit power I have. If I was normal, I could've saved myself from drowning, and I wouldn't be holed up in the ship at this very moment, seething with anger.

Wanna know the worst part? I've been here for three damn days!! Like I need that much time to recover! Of course, Nami argued that my shoulder still isn't healed, and that I shouldn't move it around much, but I think that's a load of crap. My shoulder hasn't been bothering me for days!

I mean, come on! Nami decides that I need the rest, that pervert Sanji backs her up, and everyone suddenly thinks I need to be treated like a child?

Ok fine, it could have been worse. Sanji could have stayed with me.

A shiver runs up and down my spine at the thought. Ugh, I really dislike that guy. What sucks though, is that I think Luffy wants him to join our crew! I saw how he was grinning at the guy, and since I'm fairly certain Luffy isn't gay, that could only mean one thing.

We're getting a pervy cook for the ship.

And yeah, apparently he IS a chef. As Nami was leading me back to the ship, I heard him talking to a guy who looked like a gorilla. They were arguing about soup that Sanji had made earlier. I'm not sure why Luffy wants him on the crew; that guy made it sound like Sanji couldn't cook to save his life.

But I'm not Luffy, therefore I don't understand the things that run through his mind. I trust him though, so I'll back up whatever decision he makes, as long as it doesn't endanger the crew.

I have to trust him, don't I? Not just because he'a my captain, but because he's my friend. And because I've already decided he's going to be the next Pirate King. If I can't trust him to make the right choices, I don't deserve to serve on his crew.

Wow, I just got all philosophical there, didn't I?

Grinning a little to myself, I hop off my hammock and head up topside. To my surprise, Nami is here, along with Johnny and Yosaku. They look like they're rifling through a huge stack of paper.

"What's going on?" I ask casually, crossing the deck to meet up with them. Johnny and Yosaku, newly healthy, cringe away from me, sending resentful looks my way.

Ah. Zoro must've told them about my little failed prank. Oh well, it's not like I was planning on trying again.

"Nothing is going on," Nami says distractedly, her eyes on a thin piece of paper in her hands. Her fingers grip the edges tightly, like she's scared to let go. But the look in her eyes only expresses hatred and anger.

"Ok..." I say slowly, easing up beside her to take a look at whatever is making her so tense. It's a wanted poster of some guy named Arlong. The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I've seen a lot of wanted posters in my sixteen years, so it's kinda hard to remember specific people.

"Anyway," I say, moving away from the previous subject. "Have I missed anything while I was locked on this damn ship?"

Ignoring the tone of my voice, and the thinly veiled accusation, Nami replies, "There was a man a while back, who escaped from the Marines over there. He was starving, so Sanji gave him some food and then he left. Oh and Sanji refused to join our crew because all of the guys are crazy for having dreams, I guess."

"But not us," I groan, slapping a hand to my forehead. "Right?"

"Right," she agrees.

All this time, her eyes haven't left the paper, staring at it as though she's paralyzed, and unable to move. Does she know this Arlong guy, who, I must say, does not look entirely human? But why would she know a pirate worth... My eyes slide down the page, stopping when I hit the 20,000,000 berries. Hot damn, this guy must be good!