Well... Wasn't Expecting That

Third Person POV

Shanks stares at the pink eyed girl peeping over Mihawk's shoulder, unable to close his gaping mouth. He can't believe it...

"Mihawk, I..." His voice trails off, watching the girl as her own eyes widen. Surprise is written all over her face, and a strange sense of awe.

Mihawk smirks. "I made a promise, did I not?" he asks. "And here I thought you'd be happy!"

The pink eyed girl shakes her head, getting over her immediate astonishment and letting a grin fill her face. "I never thought I'd get to meet the captain of the Red Haired Pirates," she says brightly, dropping down from Mihawk's back. "This is awesome!"

Shanks slowly smiles, enjoying the girl's enthusiasm. He flicks his gaze up to Mihawk. "I am happy," he clarifies, pushing aside the hangover he's currently dealing with. "I just wasn't expecting to see her... today."

Raya scowls up at Mihawk, crossing her arms over her chest. "Are you finally going to explain why you kidnapped me and brought me here?" she growls.

"Mihawk!" Shanks says hysterically. "You kidnapped her?!"

The Swordsman lifts one shoulder in a casual shrug. "I had the feeling she wouldn't want to leave her crew, and I has a promise to fulfill."

"WILL SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS DAMN PROMISE TO ME?!?!"

Everyone, including Yasopp and Benn Beckman, jumps at Raya's shout. Benn is the first to recover, smiling faintly at the young girl. He remembers that impatience well.

Shanks blinks at her, practically seeing another woman in her place. One with the same captivating pink eyes.

"You haven't told her?" he asks Mihawk quietly. The man sighs. "I really supposed that would be a job better suited for you, Red Hair."

Mihawk sits down beside Benn, accepting a mug of ale when it's passed to him. They exchange a polite nod, sitting back to watch the captain and girl face each other.

The tension is thick in the air, enough that even one of Zoro's swords wouldn't be able to cut through it cleanly.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Raya sighs in exasperation and plops herself down a few feet from the infamous pirate captain. She pulls the soles of her feet together an rests her hands lightly on her ankles, her gaze on the ground. Then she looks up at the tense captain with a smile. "Since none of you are going to explain any time soon, mind if I say something?" she asks.

Shanks coughs, attempting to clear up the thickness in his throat. "S-sure," he says shakily, causing his first mate to chuckle quietly. He'll never cease to be surprised by his captain's reactions. He always does act childish when someone he cares for is in trouble. Or when they put him into awkward situations.

And this girl is making him positively flustered.

Raya smiles softly, memories dancing in her eyes. "You're the reason I wanted to become a pirate," she says, a little distantly. She continues before he can respond. "Well, more of the indirect reason. You were my parents' idol, and they always said that if they could be pirates, they'd want to be like you. And they inspired me to follow their dreams."

The thickness in Shanks' throat is back. "What do you mean, were?" he asks, having some negative thoughts on what she could mean.

Raya's eyes darken, and Shanks' suspicions are confirmed. "Eight years ago, a pirate killed my mom and dad, during a raid on our island." Her voice is soft, and lonely. Shanks can feel his heart constrict, not only for the girl, but for the beautiful golden haired woman he hadn't seen in years.