Crocodile Tears

I drop to my knees in shock. The world is spinning, and I can't blame it in massive blood loss this time. Everything we've done up until this point... was absolutely worthless.

"Well, the shit has officially hit the fan," I mutter, raking my fingers through my hair. "Actually, the shit hit the fan hours ago. This is us getting a whole load of shit in the face."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing, Zoro, I'm just... This entire time, I've been ranting about how the Straw Hats never give up. And we don't. But what exactly are we supposed to do when something like this happens? Crocodile outsmarted us... again, and again, and again..."

Zoro gives me a sidelong glance, looking as though he wants to say something but can't find the words. I know how he feels. 

The others are also freaking out, though I'll admit I'm not as... spastic as the rest of them.

"Damn!" Sanji grits his teeth, glaring up at the open clockface. "How could this.... We stopped the cannon.... But the bomb is...."

"Is it a time bomb?!" Chopper squeaks, his face a strange mix of shock, anger and fear that I've yet to see from the reindeer doctor.

"If it's a five kilometer blast area, this whole town will...." Zoro's voice drops off. It seems the news has stolen even our Swordsman's voice, the calm and collected unnofficial leader, who I've come to look to in a crisis. I wish Luffy were here. He wouldn't let us sulk in the probable outcomes... he'd lift our spirits by being the vibrant child he always is. 

"What the hell is going on?!" Usopp demands. It's easy to see why he'd be so confused. None of us expected this. We thought that if we stopped the bomb, Alubarna would be saved. But we were naive in thinking so... Crocodile wouldn't leave anything up to chance. He's not a run-of-the-mill pirate. He's a Warlord, same as Mihawk. You don't become a Warlord by allowing "Fate" to rule your life. At least, not a successful Warlord.

"You mean stopping the bomb... was it impossible from the beginning?!" 

"It seems that way, Usopp," I say, pulling at my bandana. It comes loose in my hands, and I play with the fabric while I think. If this is it... I've had a good run. I loved my parents, and even though I lost them, those feelings never went away. I met my biological father, and rejoiced when I discovered he was none other than Red-Haired Shanks. I got a bounty on my head, though I still hate the name. And I joined the crew of the Next Pirate King. Yes, even on Death's Door, I still believe in Luffy. He's instilled that much faith in me since I met him all those months ago. 

Yeah, I have had a good life. And I'm going out with my nakama. I... I can accept that.

The only thing I regret? I never fell in love. It's stupid,, it's cheesy, but it's also true. I never fell in love with someone, and that will forever be my one regret.

I slowly stand and start towards the clock tower. Everyone is so wrapped up in their panic, they don't notice as I walk past them, my head lowered, my hair hiding my face. But someone grabs onto my wrist just as I reach the door.

"Where are you going?" 

"Zoro?" I turn around and find myself face to face with the Swordsman. I stuff my white bandana into my back pocket, then reconsider and shift its location to the inside of my boot. I think it has a better chance of surviving in there. "I'm just... going to see Vivi one last time. She's alone up there. And she shouldn't be."

"You don't think we're going to get out of this," he states, arching a brow with his arms across his chest. I look him up and down, a little incredulous myself. "You do?" I ask. "Look, I know I said it's true that we don't give up, but this is entirely different from other situations you guys have been in. This was designed to be the end of Alubarna."