Destination: Alubarna

Third Person POV

"DAMN YOU, RAYA! WAKE THE HELL UP!"

Nami, tearful eyes dark with regret, places a hand on Zoro's arm. "She can't hear you, Zoro," she says quietly. "Shouting isn't going to help."

His grip on the cage's bars tightens, to the point where the others are expecting him to bend the Sea Prism Stone. A dark look crosses his face that no one, save Captain Smoker, can interpret. "She has to wake up," he growls, so softly that only Nami hears him.

He's been yelling for ten minutes already. The water, flooding in from the trapdoor opened by Crocodile earlier, is up to their knees. Luffy is as panicked as Usopp over this fact, but he is too angry to join in the chaotic shouts.

His nakama is dying out there, and he can do nothing but wait for Vivi to return. He prays Sanji or Chopper is with her, because they're the only help the rest of the Straw Hats are likely to receive.

The rest of the bananadiles have already made it into the room, and are prowling around hungrily, searching for something to satiate their growling stomachs. One of them lifts its massive head, snout turned towards the demolished stairs. And the unconscious Raya.

It stomps ever closer to the vulnerable girl, and Zoro, having been keeping an eye on her since she collapsed, notices instantly. "Hey!" he shouts, hoping to draw the attention of the overgrown reptile. "Bastard, over here! Get your ass over here!"

"Zoro!" Usopp cries, leaping to tackle to Swordsman to the ground. But Luffy drags him back, guessing at Zoro's intentions.

Despite Zoro's constant shouts, and the ones added in by the rest of the crew, the beast only flicks a glance at them with small, uncaring eyes. Somewhat smarter than his brethren, he recognizes that he won't be able to get at the trapped crew, due to their imprisonment. So he settles for the bloody, unmoving girl on the stairs.

The beast reaches the stairs, ignoring its dead companion below him, placing its colossal paws on either side of Raya, who's yet to understand the danger posed to her. It's putrid breath washes over her. If she wasn't in a state of rest surpassing that of REM, the deepest stage of sleep, she would have lashed out, angry at whatever had just assaulted her senses.

It studies her for a moment, head titled to the side, waiting for her to move, to run, to scream. But she is silent, motionless. And a devilish, reptilian grin lights up the beast's eyes.

It opens its jaws wide, and lunges forward--

"Anti-Manner Kick Course!!"

Sanji, seemingly appearing out of nowhere, rockets a kick to the crocodile's snout. The kick sends the beast reeling. It collides heavily with two more bananadiles, knocking the three of them into the glass windows. They crack from the force, spilling countless gallons of water into the rapidly filling room.

"SANJI!!" the Straw Hats shout joyously. Smoker remains passive and silent, sitting forward on a bench with his arms resting on his knees. Zoro is also silent, unwilling to give praise to the half assed cook.

But his opinion of the blonde cook doesn't stop the relieved grin from lighting up his face.

"Raya!"

Vivi, who followed Sanji in, rushes to the unconscious girl's aid. She feels for a pulse and gasps. "It's so soft," she whispers. Sanji, hearing her, takes a look back at his crimson-haired crew mate. She is deathly pale, covered in her own blood. There is barely any color to her clothing besides the demented red.

For once, he doesn't feel the urge to fawn over her, to swoon as though there's no tomorrow. Even Sanji can see that would do the situation no good.

He sweeps the weak girl into his arms and jumps down down to the water-covered floor, knowing the others will want to see her. Vivi manages to follow him and they wade over to their captured nakama.

"Is she alright?" Nami asks, pressing as close to the bars as she can manage. "I don't know," is Vivi's soft answer.

"Raya'd want me to get your asses outta here before we deal with her," Sanji says, feigning confidence with a wicked smile. "So where's the key?"

Vivi, standing behind him, points to the group of bananadiles, hand shaking. "One of them ate it," she says. "I'm not sure which one."

"That one..."

All heads snap to Raya, as she lifts her hand and points meekly to the third croc to enter the room. Then just as quickly, her hand flops onto her stomach, and she is as unresponsive as before.

"How did she...?" Nami is dumbfounded, unable to comprehend how a girl who is half-dead from blood loss and unconscious, could possibly know which one holds the key. And yet, she doesn't doubt the crimson-haired girl is right.

"Interesting," Smoker grunts. His legs are now pulled up onto the bench to avoid the water and he crosses his arms over his bare chest. "She's right. Even half-dead, she was able to distinguish the key-holding one from the group."

Zoro whips out his white hilted katana and settles it at the base of Smoker's throat. "Half-dead?" he echoes, his voice no more than a snarl.

While everyone else gasps, Smoker is unperturbed. With one gloved hand, he pushes Zoro's sword away and continues to address the group. "What's even more impressive is that she wasn't even conscious when these others entered the room. Maybe she's able to use Haki..." He mumbles the last part to himself, wanting to investigate further into the matter without attracting the attention of the other Straw Hats.

"Vivi," Sanji says, his eyes locked on the croc Raya pointed out. "Is there any way you could hold her? Normally I would never ask a beautiful woman such as yourself to do such a task, but I have something to attend to, and I can't let Raya get hurt."

Vivi doesn't hesitate; she nods vigorously, wanting to do something for the girl who risked her life for a country that isn't even her own.

"She's really light," Sanji adds, carefully handing the injured girl off to Vivi. The Princess struggles under the weight, but doesn't drop the poor girl.

"Now," he says, turning to face the horde of beasts staring at him like the starving animals they are. "It would seem I have to knock all the table manners I know into these beasts, who dare harm an innocent lady!"

And Zoro can't help but mutter, "Innocent? She took down one of those things in two seconds. I wouldn't exactly call that innocent. Not that I'm complaining..."

Sanji attempts to go for the indicated croc, but others bar his way. It becomes increasingly obvious that to reach the destined beast, he'll have to take out the others...

And all the while, the room keeps flooding.

"This is bad," Zoro says, watching as Sanji kicks another beast into a helpless state. "Raya, Luffy and this guy"-he jerks a thumb at a stoic Smoker- "are going to have trouble if that ero-cook doesn't hurry it up."

"Not to mention us!" Usopp squeaks, wincing. Sanji's just launched a bananadile into the thick walls, cracking them. It doesn't get up.

Truthfully, Zoro doesn't give a damn about himself. Raya on the other hand, continues to worry him to no end.

"What's THAT?!"

The Swordsman is snapped from his worries by Usopp's sharp exclamation. He follows the sniper's gaze, and raises an eyebrow.

He has no idea what he's seeing, but it's most definitely NOT a key.

Sanji, having just defeated yet another croc, stares after the white, waxy ball, seemingly large enough to fit a person, sail out of the mouth of the beast he just demolished, and splash into the water.

The strange object splits open with a loud CRACK, startling all those who watch. A bizarre, emaciated man jumps from the abandoned "shell" hands thrown to the sky in triumph. He is not a pretty man, and his partially mummified appearance only adds to his haunting look. His hair is styled into a now drooping 3 high above his head, and his glasses are cracked and useless.

The infamous Mr. 3 has returned.

He mutters to himself, oblivious to the astounded pirates, and beasties, surrounding him. And one lone Marine, who is indifferent to the matter.

"... Oh, what's this?" Mr. 3, finished with his half-coherent murmurings, wades over to the halved wax ball he used to keep himself from dissolving in the beast's stomach. The object in question is a glimmering key, trapped within the outer layer of the wax. He picks it up, while the Straw Hats, mostly Luffy, scream for him to hand it over.

(A/N: Mr. 3 was deemed by Crocodile to be useless and so was fed to the bananadiles a few hours before the Straw Hats arrived. It didn't really involve Raya, so I didn't write the scene. Also, in case you're wondering, Mr. 3 has the Wax Wax Fruit powers)

Mr. 3's eyes bug from his head when he catches sight of the pirate crew that ruined him, as shocked to see them as they are to see him. But seeing them, he takes stock of the situation and realizes that this key, held loosely in his hand, is worth more than gold to them.

"I have grasped your plight," he says, chuckling darkly.

"So... you're Mr. 3," Sanji says, stalking towards the eccentric man. "Hand over the key."

"Here you go!" Mr. 3 giggles, throwing the key as far as his frail arms allow. It plops into the water, and is quickly swept away by the current.

"Asshole," Zoro mutters, dark eyes on Raya. She's fidgeting, and it's making him nervous. Can you dream when you pass out from blood loss? Can you have nightmares?

The last thing he wants to hear is Raya's heart wrenching, soul shattering scream.

"What's this bullshit you're pulling on me?" Sanji demands, half a second away from cracking his foot over this freak's head.

"Wait, Sanji!" Usopp cries. "Couldn't you just use his Wax Wax powers to create another key?"

A devious smile light up Sanji's eyes as Mr. 3's darken in disappointment. So he wasn't getting revenge.

"Alright," Sanji says, stretching out his leg. "Time for you to actually be worth something, Mr. 3!"

Raya's POV

I cry out in pain, arms locking around my sides as though I can hold back the agony. Pain... I haven't felt it in a long while. It was blissful. There was nothing. Nothing at all.

"She's awake!"

Two arms, two very strong arms, wrap around me, shifting me into a sitting position. All at once, my thoughts of blissful nothingness are gone, forgotten. My back is pressed to someone's warm chest, and that in turn sends waves of pleasant heat throughout my body.

Why did I think the feeling of nothing was so great again?

"The bleeding's stopped, that's good." The voice is wholeheartedly relieved, letting out a soft sigh that I recognize.

"Chopper?" I say, forcing open my eyes. His little blue nose is directly in my face, blotting out the rest of the world. He smiles and steps back, hooves behind his back.

"Are you feeling any better, Raya?" Nami asks, stepping into view.

I pause to think. I do feel better. My wound aches, but it isn't nearly as crippling as before. I cried out when I woke up because I was startled, suddenly feeling that sharp ache after... You get the point.

And my mind is clear again. That, I think, is grandest blessing I have ever had bestowed upon me. I can think.

"Better," I confirm, smiling faintly. "Definitely better."

"We thought you were a goner!" Usopp says, sounding on the verge of tears. I smile at him, as reassuring as ever. In fact, everyone looks a little weak in the knees, giddy from my return to the living. And they all look as though they want to hug me, but are afraid to damage me further.

"I'm not going anywhere anytime soon," I promise. "It'd be no fun without you guys."

There's a collective sigh all around me. And behind me. I blink, looking over my shoulder.

"Swordsman," I say, giving him a closed eye smile. So he's the cause of that immaculate warmth. Of its own volition, my body presses back against his chest, savoring the feeling.

And yet, I have to ask. "Why are you holding me?" I ask the question in the sweetest tone I can manage, trying not to give off feelings of mistrust. The last thing I need is Zoro thinking I'm not grateful for having him around.

He doesn't seem bothered by the question, and I internally grin. "Chopper needed to check your bandages," he says, shrugging. "You were squirming around in your sleep, so he asked me to hold you."

I spare a look down at myself. My cloak's been removed, and my Marine vest as well. My pale pink shirt is nothing more than a demonic crimson. I don't compare it to my hair color, because nothing on this earth could make me dislike my lineage. And my hair is what connects me to Shanks, to my father.

I allow Chopper to lift up my shirt slightly. He runs his little hoof over the pristine, ivory-colored bandages , nodding to himself. "Am I gonna live , Doc Chopper?" I ask, surveying his adorable, childish smile.

"You're going to be fine, Raya," he says, dropping my shirt. "I stitched up the wound, so it shouldn't give you as much trouble. Just don't go around attacking giant crocodiles!"

My face flushes an unsightly red at that. "So I see you've been informed," I say lightly. He nods, crossing his arms over his tiny chest.

I blow the hair from my face and lean my head back, letting it rest on Zoro's chest. I can see Sanji seething off to the side, a look of betrayal and jealousy on his face.

"It couldn't be helped," I say simply. "Vivi was in trouble. I couldn't just leave her."

With that, whatever tension there was is broken, and the others bring me up to speed on what happened.

Apparently, after they got the cage open with help from Mr. 3, the entire room flooded. Of course we escaped, and even Smoker was saved. Once we were all outside again, Smoker did something I wish I'd been awake to see: He let us go, and ordered his subordinates not to chase after us.

Then Chopper showed up out of nowhere, riding a giant crab.

We're currently riding on him, and as he's a friend of Eyelash, he's also perverted.

I have to forcibly keep myself from stabbing at him with my sword.

Wait.

"Oi!!" I cry, spinning around in Zoro's arms, interrupting Chopper, and grabbing his shoulders. I narrow my eyes at him seriously, traces of despair and bewilderment in the luminous pink orbs. "Did someone get my Dad's sword? I know I dropped it when I collapsed. Please, please tell me you didn't leave it behind!"

Zoro blinks several times, before breaking into a smile. He unwraps one arm from around my waist and reaches for something at his side. "I knew you'd kill me specifically if we left this," he says, gently returning to blade to my trembling hands.

I'm trembling from the sudden absence of weight from my shoulders. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Tears spring to my eyes, but I don't attempt to wipe them away. I throw my arms around Zoro's neck, grateful beyond belief. This sword... it's a part of me now, as a part as me as my hair, or my attitude, or my smile. I wouldn't be me without this beautiful sword.

And because of Zoro, I don't have to lament its loss. A little voice in the back of my mind tells me he'll always be there to keep me whole, because he knows how much this sword means to me.

"Thank you," I whisper, my voice splintered from the onslaught of emotions. And to my surprise, he returns the embrace, albeit hesitantly. The same feeling I get when I'm with Dad blossoms in my chest, though it's slightly different. I cannot, though, for the life of me figure out said difference.

"Ahem," someone, probably Usopp, coughs. I ignore him for a moment, and so does Zoro. Then the cough comes again, and I break away, jack knifing to my feet and looming over Usopp, despite the difference in our respective heights.

"Do you have something to say, Sniper?" I ask, in a deceptively mild voice.

He sweat drops, backing away from me and inching behind Nami. "W-we didn't finish the story," he squeaks.

I narrow my eyes in confusion. "You didn't?" I ask, looking back at Chopper. I flinch when I see the wide, tear-filled eyes of my doctor, sparkling in the dying sun.

"Luffy's gone," he says, sniveling.

I start and look around frantically. The desert rushes last in distracting snapshots as the crab dashes, sideways, through the sand. Sanji is holding the reigns, Nami and Usopp are staring at me wide eyed, Chopper is blubbering, and Zoro is calmly watching me for a reaction.

Vivi is huddled next to Sanji, downcast.

"He's gone... because he was protecting Vivi?' I guess. The looks on their faces confirm my suspicions. They tell me that Crocodile tried to snatch Vivi away as we were making our getaway, and Luffy took her place, opting to meet Crocodile head on.

And we've kept going because Luffy told us to. And, we're meant to trust in him and regroup at the palace in Alubarna. And Crocodile isn't meant to be a threat any longer when we do so.

I take a deep, shuddering breath, and return to my position on Zoro's lap. No one comments on my choice of seating, and I'm glad. I'm not entirely sure why I made this decision. Though it may have to do with my instinct to seek comfort.

"So, we'll see him in Alubarna," I say, looking up, meeting everyone's eyes. They smile in response, even Vivi, so despondent just a moment ago.

I trust Luffy, more than I trust almost anyone. If he says he's going to remove Crocodile from our threat list, he's going to do it.

Now, all I've got to do is wait until we reach Alubarna.

If you're late Luffy, I'm telling the palace's cooks that you don't deserve your mountain of food you were promised.

(Several Hours Later...)

"And at that precise moment, I turned and said, 'You bow-legged freak!' And ever since then, all the crabs of the world have noticed how bow-legged they are."

"Wow! So that's why they walk sideways!"

I snicker behind my hand, listening to Usopp lie extensively to Chopper. The youngest member of our crew is innocent and ignorant to Usopp's deception. I would straighten him out, convince him that Usopp has never done anything besides what involves the Straw Hats, but Chopper seems so happy when he listens to the tall tales. I don't want to break his little, naive heart.

It's dark now, the glittering moon casting its pale shadow over the barren desert sand. Stars wink in and out of existence, a blanket of natural, sparkling lights. I'd love to see them reflected on the ocean.

On Red Force, whenever my nightmares became too much to bear, I snuck out onto the deck to watch the rolling, crashing waves. It was pure, poetic beauty. But one night in particular stands out in my mind.

The ocean was calmer, almost as though we'd strayed into the Calm Belt. Not a wave nor a ripple disturbed its surface. It was a full moon, brilliantly shining down. And the stars... millions of twinkling little fairy lights. The still ocean cast a mirror image of the night sky, and the view.... was breathtaking.

I've yet to see another night like that. None have been as pure or magical as that night.

I almost sigh at the memory. I've found myself longing for that moment every time I wake from my nightmares. It was a such a calming view...

"Zoro, you're just wasting energy!"

I blink, still in a daze from my swirling thoughts. Lying flat on my back, I roll over on my side to look at Nami, scolding Zoro.

Will these two kids ever get along?

"Shut up!" Zoro grumbles, continuing to lift his cursed sword the same way he'd curl weights.

I wave my hand in front of his face, distracting him. He looks down at me, brow furrowed. "I thought you were asleep," he says.

"No, just thinking. So what are you doing?" I ask, sitting up and scooting closer to him. There's not more than two inches of space between us, and for some unidentifiable reason, that fact is very prominent in my mind.

"Training," he replies, resuming said training.

"How?" I ask.

He gives me an incredulous look. "What do you mean, how?"

I shrug. "It's one sword. It can't weigh that much."

At this, he smirks and offers me his cursed weapon. "Care to give it a try?" he offers.

I take the sword without a second thought, and promptly shout, "Shit!" when the weight drops my hand hard into my lap. Zoro barks out a laugh, reaching to take back his sword. But I turn away slightly, gripping it with both hands.

"Oi, what are you doing?"

"Is this sword really cursed?" I ask, skimming my fingers over the sheath, trailing them up to the hilt. I wrap my slim fingers around the hilt, feeling it hum beneath my touch.

I don't need him to confirm my question; I can tell just by holding this sword how much it wants to betray Zoro, see him die in battle without so much as a final word. What a dark past this sword must bear.

But as his fingers close around the black sheath, the malicious humming dies out, replaced by an obedient purr. He gently tugs the sword from my grip and continues on with his weight lifting.

"My... other dad," I begin, laying back down the furry back of the crab, tuning out the various conversations of my fellow Straw Hats. "He used to tell me that a sword, every sword, has a soul. Just like humans. And it's that soul that you need to impress to gain true strength, both in and out of battle."

"Do you believe in that?" he asks. From his voice, I'm certain he's genuinely curious. I reach for my own katana, letting my fingers play with the designs wrapping around its crimson sheath.

"When he first told me, I thought it was a joke," I say, frowning at the memory. I was really a very stubborn child. "How could a non living thing, a hunk of steel and leather, have a soul?"

Zoro tenses beside me; my words don't hold much respect for katanas, and he's reacting poorly to it. But still, I forge ahead.

"But when he and Mom were killed, my whole view of the subject changed. I kept this sword with me day and night, cherishing it as the one thing my father loved besides our family. And I felt its spirit, its soul. It lamented the loss of my father as much as I did, crying when I cried. And I felt its anger whenever a villager mocked me, my dream, or my parents.

"It wasn't my father's sword, though. It was Shanks'. And though it worked beautifully for that other man, it never forgot who made it sing in the first place. When I ended up with Shanks, and he started to train me, this sword sang again, with a crystal voice. It knew it had returned home. So in answer to your question, Swordsman, I do believe in that."

"You talk like a Swordsman yourself," he says, setting down the haunted blade.

"But I'm not, and I will never claim to be. I told Mihawk before: Whatever virtues this sword holds belong to my fathers, not me."

Zoro reaches over me and places a hand on my sword's leather sheath, still warm from the vanished sunlight. In doing so, he puts his hand partially over mine. A shock runs up my arm from the contact, though I say nothing of it. It would only ruin the concentration, so clear on his tanned face.

Eyes closed, he says, in a softer voice than I would have expected, "You're wrong."

"How so?" I ask.

"Its virtues are as much yours as your fathers'. It wouldn't love you the same way if it were any different." He pauses. "With a connection as strong as this, you'd make one hell of a Swordsman."

I smile as he withdraws his hand. "That's high praise, coming from you," I note. An easy grin spreads across his face, transforming it. He looks younger when he smiles, less jaded. And, as hard as it is for me to admit, even to myself, he's cuter when he smiles. Boyish, even.

I never in my like thought I would come upon the opportunity to call Pirate Hunter Roronoa Zoro, boyish.

The thought makes me smile again, softer than before. This action earns me a curious look from Zoro. I don't give him an answer to his silent question, instead turning my eyes to the blanket of stars, ever present and ever constant.

(Morning, because I'm too lazy to write more about this "touching" moment)

(Side Note: Four Hours until the rebellion hits Alubarna)

"This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed," I mutter, pinching the bridge of my nose.

The CRAB is refusing to cross WATER.

"WHAT?! THIS CRAB CAN'T CROSS WATER?!"

I shove Usopp away from me, unable to bear his shouting for even another second. He won't admit to this, but he sounds like a five year old girl who just lost her teddy when he screams.

"Moving Crabs are creatures of the sand," Vivi explains, more like apologizes. "They don't like water."

I sit back while they argue, rubbing my sore side. The sky is a brilliant blue, not a hint of white fluff for miles. Similarly, the desert, on either side of the gushing river, is a vast expanse of brown, dotted with the green of cacti. I suppose deserts have their beauty as well, but I much prefer the ocean.

I look back to the group, and see that Usopp is still ranting.

"It'll take all day to float across this huge river! And look! Once we cross there's still kilometers of sand to go! If the crab can't make it to the other side, we have to run!"

I raise my hand. "I vote for that option," I call, eager to add my input. As it were, they aren't exactly eager to hear it.

"There's no way we can make it in time!" Usopp goes on, oblivious to the withering look I send his way.

"Look! There's the Sandora up ahead!" Sanji shouts. I applaud him for stating the obvious. It takes real skill to be able to perform such a feat.

Kami, I'm terrible in the morning.

I rub my eyes as Nami shouts out for "Scissors" to do something. Such an imaginative name for a crab, don't you think? I voted for "Lunch" but no one seconded my idea.

"Oh yeah!" Chopper squeaks, bounding over to Nami. "Scissors likes dancers!"

Dancers...?

So many hidden meanings. All of them dirty.

"Like this?" Nami throws off her cloak, revealing the "dancer" outfit beneath. It reminds me of something an Arabian princess would wear. Pretty, but you couldn't force me into it unless I was dead. And even then you'd have to fight my corpse.

Scissors' large, bulbous eyes turn towards Nami, exploding with hearts when he realizes what she's wearing. Behind her, Eyelash and Sanji do a strange wriggling dance, perverted smiles on their obnoxious faces.

Miraculously, from just catching a glimpse of Nami in her revealing (slutty) outfit, he takes off like a shot, barreling across the desert at what Chopper describes as Warp Speed!

"Nami-swaaaaann~"

"Vwoo! <3" (camel noise)

"Nami, you broke two extra animals!"

From the sudden increase in speed I'm thrown backwards with alarming force. Only to land in familiar, muscled arms.

"You ok?" Zoro asks, setting me down. He keeps one hand on my back, presumably to save me from taking another horrendous spill. I nod in response to his question. Then, with excitement I blame on the adrenaline rush, I throw my arms into the air and shout, "ERO POWER!" Zor chuckles in agreement. He's well aware of how much I dislike Sanji, Eyelash, and now this queer (as in weird, not gay) crab, dubbed Scissors.