Declaration of War: Act 1

I burst onto the courthouse roof, all adrenaline and cautious flames meant to catch some baddies off guard. But no; it's only Luffy standing at the edge, staring defiantly up at the building opposite us. An inappropriate (for the situation) smile graces my lips.

I can smell the sea again. 

That intoxicating aroma of salt and misty water. I feel renewed, just being out in the open again. As much of a risk as this position puts me in, I prefer it over the confined conditions of the courthouse I've just exited. So, smiling a smile that shouldn't be seen in a hundred-mile radius, I sprint for where my captain is standing atop the pillar-things that make up the edge of the roof.

"Hey, Cap'n!" I shout in greeting.

He twists at a dramatic rate, almost convincing me he'll topple off into the roaring "waterfall" I can here below us. But he keep his feet planted firmly on solid ground and manages his overenthusiastic grin when he spots me standing beneath him. "Raya! You made it!"

"Course I did," I reply nonchalantly; I can't help showing off for my adorable captain. "You think these baka are a match for the Red-Haired Demon?" I may hate the name, but damn, Zoro's right; it is pretty fitting for someone like me.

It makes me hate it all the more.

"Shishishishi! I wasn't worried! My crew's amazing for sure!" he assures me, throwing his fists skyward. I laugh a little at the sight. Even amongst all this insanity and uncertainly, he remains his childish, ridiculous self. It's part of the reason why I love the guy so damn much.

I look around and, spotting no routes up to join Luffy - makeshift or otherwise - I grin. Just gotta be creative, I guess. Luffy cocks his head to the side, puzzlement written all over his goofy face. He opens his mouth to voice a question (an obvious one, most likely) but I raise a hand to silence him. I bend my knees a little, preparing, then let loose a torrent of flames from the soles of my feet, jumping at the same moment, and propel myself up onto the column beside Luffy's.

He shouts excitedly, "So cool!"

I can't help but grin in agreement. These Devil Fruit powers are so cool, as he so casually puts it.

"So what's the situation, Cap'n?" I ask, crossing my arms under my chest, jerking my chin at the Tower of Justice. 

Luffy scratches his chin in a thoughtful manner; I barely keep from snickering at the display. C'mon. My captain, thoughtful? Not in a million years. "Dunno," he says at last. "I yelled for Robin, but she won't come out! Those bastards are probably keeping her from us."

I sweat drop, only because I heard his shouts on the way up here. It had confirmed that Luffy was up here but... did he really think Robin would just waltz out of the Tower and hop back over to our side? I mean, I want that as much as or more than anyone, but let's be realistic here. Robin chose these guys, for our safety. Just yelling ain't gonna convince her it's safe to come back.

Do I tell my oddball of a captain that, though? Of course not. It wouldn't get through to him, anyhow. 

I rub my hands together eagerly. "Alrighty then! So while we're waiting for the others, who may or may not be dead at the moment, what kinda havoc do you wanna wreak?" I momentarily twinge at the mention of our friends. I know they're not dead. Obviously. Honoo's told me Zoro, at least, is fine, and he's with them, hence my certainty in their safety. The Demon Swordsman would not allow any real harm to come to my crewmates (excluding Sanji).

Again, Luffy looks thoughtful. Or constipated. With his face scrunched like that, and his muscles so tight, I can't really be sure. 

"I was gonna just attack 'em..."