The Battle For The Fiery (Pun Intended) Straw Hat

I blink. "Excuse me?" I ask, a little slow due to my incomprehensible shock.

Foxy laughs again, and my eye twitches in response. "Fehfehfehfeh! Red-Haired Demon Raya! Wonderful!"

I sweat drop, taking an involuntary step back. It's excruciating even being THIS close to Split-head. I can't imagine being on a crew with him for the rest of my pirate career.

I bump into Zoro, and in return, he yanks me behind him, holding out an arm in a protective manner. I hear the clink of one of his swords coming loose in his free hand.

"Pick someone else," Zoro growls. "I'll take her place."

The rest of the Straw Hats seem too shocked to speak. Even Luffy is silent, his mouth gaping open in horror. It would seem none of them expected this.

Foxy scratches at his chin, head titled back just slightly. Then he shrugs and waves a hand dismissively at Zoro. "Eh, I have too many Swordsmen, Pirate Hunter." A devious spark lights up his narrow eyes. "What I do not have is a Flame Woman! So, be quick, and hand over the Demon!"

I feel Zoro stiffen in rage, jaw clenched tight. His grip on Wado worries me; I don't want him to damage his most precious sword.

I sigh softly, momentarily letting my forehead drop onto Zoro's back. Oddly enough, this causes some of the tension to flee from his muscles. "Well this is a pretty shitty situation, eh Swordsman?" I say with a strained laugh. He looks over his shoulder at me and I manage a smile. The dark look in his eyes doesn't change.

"Luffy made a deal, Zoro," I remind him tiredly. I told them this wasn't a good idea. Oh well. At least I don't have to watch my nakama walk away from me, swearing loyalty to someone other than Luffy. I'm not sure I could handle that. "He picked me. We have to go by his rules."

"You're not going, Raya," he says lowly, gripping my arm as I attempt to move past him. "Not for a bastard like him."

"We don't have a choice, Zoro. Not unless you all enjoy the thought of fighting your way out of here."

Zoro's eyes glint menacingly in the glimmering daylight. Alright, that didn't deter him. It's fighting... and Zoro... What made me think that would work?

Time for a low blow.

"If we leave here and break the rules of the Davy Back Fight, you can kiss your pride goodbye, Zoro. As a Swordsman, as a pirate, hell even as a man. This, this right here, what you're thinking of doing, will destroy your pride beyond repair."

His grip on my arm tightens, ever so slightly, as he grits his teeth. I believe I've struck a nerve.

"Screw my pride," he growls, startling me. "We're not letting you become one of them."

The shock falls away from my face, and I smile genuinely. I reach up and flick Zoro's forehead. He releases my arm in surprise. "I don't want that, Zoro," I say, giving him a closed-smile. "For you to lose the one thing you care about as much as your swords. Besides, you've got two rounds to go. Just win me back, and all's forgotten, right?"

I push off on the tips of my toes and kiss Zoro's cheek. "Just like in Alabasta," I say, rubbing my forearm. The dark X has since faded, but it still remains my symbol for the Straw Hats' friendship. "Forever and always a Straw Hat, right?"

Letting out a hissing breath, I turn around, half-expecting, half-hoping Zoro will tug me back. But he doesn't, and I stiffly make my over to Foxy.

Then something furry attacks my leg.

I look down and barely hold in a gasp. Chopper is clinging to my leg, big, wavering eyes staring up at me pleadingly. His entire body is shaking.

"Please don't go, Raya!" he sobs, hooves managing to grab hold of my jeans. "I don't want you to be a Foxy Pirate!!"

"Jeeze, Chopper. You're going to make me start crying right along with you," I say. Though only barely. Just looking at Chopper, my throat starts to close up, a precursor to my racking sobs. "Don't worry," I say, swallowing thickly, forcing the lump forming there back down. "Zoro and Sanji will win. Have some faith, Chopper. I'll be back before you know it!"

My smile seems weak as I look down at him, scratching his ear, something that usually calms him down. It's failing when I need it most.

I gently pry Chopper off of me, and hug him quickly, before placing him in Robin's arms. We both get along with Chopper best, and I know she's the one to comfort him right now. She gives me a reassuring smile as she walks back to where the others are standing.

"Oi! Sanji!" I call, waving my arm. He looks up, blinking the anime tears from his eyes and lowering the handkerchief he's been biting. "You realize they picked me because I'm in the next round right?" I ask. Getting no response, I sigh. "It's going to be two against three," I warn. "Try not to kill Zoro, please? And no stopping to gawk at women!"

He smiles obligingly, hearts in his eyes. "Of course, Raya-chan!" he explains passionately. If only it didn't make me shudder...

I smile slightly, then spin around again and descend into the Foxy ranks.

Dear Kami, this is worse than the time I pretended to be a Marine.

"Welcome, Raya!" Foxy greets, spreading his arm as though he expects a hug.

"Touch me, and you die," I state.

He sweat drops, but doesn't lower his arms.

"I will not hesitate to melt the flesh from your bones, Silver Fox," I say, "captain or no. So I suggest you don't provoke me. I will follow your orders, because if anything, I'm a good pirate. But know this, I will never recognize you as my captain. That position is already filled."

I look over my shoulder at where are my friends are huddled together. Sanji and Zoro are talking, both gritting their teeth. Robin is watching me, holding Chopper as he sobs into her shoulder. Nami has her hands over her mouth, eyes wide and face pale. Usopp's trying to look brave, but he can't keep his knees from knocking together.

And Luffy is still staring at me. I raise my hand and give him a salute, grinning. "Be seeing you soon, Cap'n!" I call cheerily. He blinks, and slowly his goofy grin fills his face again. I nod to myself, glad my real captain isn't paralyzed anymore.

With that said, I stalk off towards the stage, following some random pirate's directions. Apparently, all his TROPHIES are meant to gather here.

I slump in a chair, flashing eyes trained on the sky. I know the Straw Hats are watching me, so I can't show how upset I really am. Because that will make it seem like I don't trust them to bring me back. And I do. I 100% believe they can, and will, do it. I just hope they don't have to make the decision of who to save between two Straw Hats...

"Um, this is for you."

I tilt my head enough to see the man standing off to one side, awkwardly holding something out to me.

Hell.

"I'm not wearing that," I tell him plainly, wrinkling my nose at the black fox mask.

"But you're a Foxy Pirate now!" he says with an obviously forced smile.

I look at the mask again, and feel vile rise up in my throat. If I put that on, it'll be one step farther away from Luffy and the others.

"Listen closely," I say slowly, shifting my eyes to stare up at the man. "If you want me to be part of your crew, I'd go with the give-and-take tactic. As in, you TAKE that hideous thing away from me, and I won't GIVE you third degree burns. Understand?"

He takes off like a shot, skidding around fellow crew members and letting out a high pitched wail as he goes. And yet, he dropped the mask...

I kick my foot under the mask and toss it up into my hands. Smirking, I torch it, leaving behind unsightly ashes that slips through my fingers and fall silently to the ground like black snow.

I look up, and catch Zoro's eye. He turns after a moment, and spots the still-running Foxy pirate. An amused smirk curls his lips as he looks back at me.

I smile and mouth "Oops", resting my chin on my palm.