The Heart of the Battle

"So this is Kohza?" I mutter under my breath, watching the tall dark-blonde-haired, tanned leader of the rebellion step forward, right into the deadly scene straight from the depths of Hell.

I can see his narrowed eyes behind his violet-tinted shades. They are the eyes of a man who has outlasted his patience. Much like Chaka only moments ago. Kohza wears a dark purple trench coat, held open to reveal his dirtied white shirt. A brown sash is wrapped around his waist, a blue scarf his neck. His fisted hands are adorned with brown leather gloves, the material straining over his tense hands. He has a sword strapped to his back, and I have no doubt he is very prepared to use it to obtain what he demands.

He's as dirty as I expected the rebels to be, and bruised and battered. A scar runs over the edge of his left eye, though it isn't recent. Vivi told me how he got it, when he protected her all those years ago.

"Kohza!" Vivi shouts again, somewhere to my left. I've become a little disoriented from my fall, and the sudden absence of pain, so I didn't realize she'd moved.

"It's you," I hear King Cobra breathe. "You used to come using the hidden shortcut..."

"It's me alright," Kohza says, narrowed eyes trained solely on the King. "You got problems with your eyes?"

"Harsh," I mutter, struggling to regain my composure. This connection is a pain in the ass.

"I've come here, to persuade the royal army..."

"Little late there, buddy," I tell him. He looks at me with the same hatred he wore for the King, then glances around the bloodied courtyard. His eyes slowly widen, taking in all the dead or incapacitated soldiers, and Chaka, lying limply on the roof, as well as the King, nailed painfully to the pillar, covered in his own blood.

Honoo hums in my hand, and I break away from staring at Kohza to address my blade. "Wado's ok?" I ask softly. Another soft hum. A slow smile fills my face, and I sit back, my relief making my knees weak. I get another look from Kohza; he's most likely wondering why I'm smiling, and sitting on my ass with scorch marks surrounding me.

Kohza looks up at Crocodile, and I turn my head to face him as well. "Why would the King nearly get killed by the hero of this country?" he asks, disbelief evident in his voice. "I won't believe this..."

"You won't believe what's right in front of your eyes, Kohza?" I demand, shooting him an unimpressed glare. He returns the look, raising a pencil-thin eyebrow as though to ask who I am in the first place, and what right do I have to be speaking to him like that?

I'd answer, but Crocodile's booming laugh cuts off any responses. "You're so funny!" he bellows. "In such a problematic time for both armies, I didn't expect you to show up here. It's like this war is being fought by lizards with their heads cut off!"

Kohza stiffens, sweat dripping down his tan skin, exhaustion present in every movement he makes. This information isn't helping his weakened condition. I don't think he's injured, at least not severely. But this war has been going on for a while now; every is bound to be tired out.

As Kohza still looks baffled, Miss All Sunday crosses her arms, smiling, and says, "You seem troubled. It's quite simple. Just think of the worst situation possible, and you'll understand."

"She speaks the truth," I mutter. "Even if I don't like her." From beside Crocodile, Miss All Sunday sends me a smile that makes me want to stab something with my sword. Repeatedly. "You gonna listen now Kohza?" I ask him, turning away from the infuriating Vice President of Baroque Works.

His eyes locked on Crocodile, he strides over to me. I expect the look of fury that's slolwy building on his face. What I don't expect is for him to offer me his hand and hoist me to my feet. "Who are you?" he asks, meeting my appraising gaze.