Lions, Tigers, and Bayers... Oh Hell

Raya's POV

"Shanks!" I call, ducking my head into his private quarters. He looks up and smiles upon seeing me. A warm feeling blossoms in my chest at the smile, but I push it aside for now. There are more important things at the moment.

"You know how you guys got drunk last night for no reason, like to the point where most of you started stripping thinking it would be a great idea to go swimming in Sea King infested waters?" I ask.

He nods, not looking shamed at all.

"Well, they're at it again," I grumble. "And I really don't feel like seeing that much skin ever again in my life. So could you--"

Someone grabs me from behind and I yelp as I'm dragged way from Shanks' doorway.

"Rockstar!" I growl. "Put me down!"

He giggles in a very high voiced, very drunk way. "Nuh uh!" he slurs, giggling some more.

Why can't all men be like Zoro when they drink, and NOT get drunk?

He tightens his grip around my waist, starting to move in some weird, flowing way. Like he's trying to dance but either doesn't know how, or is too drunk to care how he looks. Both are equally possible at this point.

He "waltzes" over to the railing, beginning to swing me dramatically. I really don't like this.

He spins me around in his arms so that I'm facing him. He's a big guy with spiky red hair that goes around his head like a flattened halo and a brutish face. He's a newer addition to the Red Haired Pirates, but just as loyal as any of the old salts.

Rockstar, grinning in his drunken stupor, lifts me up and dips me out over the ocean.

Oh hell.

"Rockstar!" I shout, almost in hysterics. "Put me back on deck NOW!"

No one here is sober enough to come to my rescue if this muscled idiot decides to drop me.

"Aw," he slurs, pouting. "Don't cha wanna go for a quick swim?" And his arms loosen their hold on me.

"Rockstar!" I plead. But he only grins, barely holding onto me.

"DAD!!" I cry, feeling myself begin to fall, the warm ocean breeze on my back, the sound of slapping waves pounding in my ears, drowning out my own heartbeat.

And then, a different arm is wrapped around my waist, holding me protectively.

I'm back on deck.

"Rockstar," Shanks says calmly, though I can hear the edge in his voice, the warning. "Go back over to the others."

The rookie, though still thoroughly drunk, obeys his captain's order, stumbling over to a group of young looking pirates sitting around a barrel of sake.

God, if their hangovers this morning were bad, I don't even want to imagine what they'll be like tomorrow.

"Raya, are you alright?"

I look up into Shank's face. He looks serious and worried, and that makes me sigh. I don't want to be a burden to him.

"I'm sorry," I murmur, giving him a quick hug before stepping away. "I just... I thought he was going to drop me, and... I can't swim."

His dark eyes soften, and he smiles at me, patting my head in a comforting way. "It's fine," he says. "And if you want, I could have someone teach you--"

"That's not gonna work."

"Why not?"

"I, uh, ate a Devil Fruit..."

There's a heart stopping moment where I think Shanks is going to scold me, or disown me, or something worse. Wait, that actually would be the worst thing he could do to me. KILLING me would hurt less than saying I wasn't his daughter anymore.

But then, I can breathe again, because he chuckles good-naturedly. "Just like your captain, huh?" he says, ruffling my hair. I smile slowly, relieved he's find with the confession. I didn't tell him before because I was terrified of his reaction might be.

"So, what powers have you got then?" he asks, all smiles.

"Well, I've found it's more interesting to show people," I reply, unsheathing the gold-emblazoned sword strapped to my hip, and holding it in front of me.

Shanks' eyes widen, like he's only just noticed that I carry a sword with me. And then he smiles warmly, gently taking the hilt from my hand. "Haven't seen this guy in a while," he says, turning it in his hand, letting it catch the light, making the gold designs glitter impressively.

I inhale sharply. "It's yours?

He tosses the sword and catches it, with the hilt now pointed at me. I take it reverently, slowly wrapping each slim finger around the familiar crimson hilt. "This was... my other dad's sword," I say slowly, thoughtfully. "He said it was a gift from Mom." I look up at Shanks questioningly. He folds his arm across the saber hanging from the red sash around his waist, smiling at some memory I know nothing about.

"I left that with Mia, your mother, hoping she'd give it to you. I guess she didn't like the idea of you becoming a Swordsman, and gave it to her husband. But it still found its way to you."

His voice is deep with his regret, like it is every time he talks about Mom. I can hear it in his voice that he wishes he'd convinced her to stay with him on his ship, to raise me among the pirates. Of course Mom said no to that though. She loved the idea of me becoming a pirate, but never so young. But to be honest, I kinda wish he'd convinced her too. I've never wanted to be anything but a pirate, and I would have gladly become one at any age. I don't think growing up this way would've changed me much. I'm me, no matter how I was raised.

"So, still wanna show me your power?"

I blink. I've practically forgotten why we even started this conversation.

"Sure," I say at last, holding the sword before me. I don't know why I want the sword; I could show him the flames either way. But it just feels right to hold this sword.

Without anymore hesitation, flames sprout up along my arm, traveling up and along the sword, dancing with a wicked brilliance.

Shanks can't hold back a gasp.

I extinguish the flames quickly, seeing the look of dread in Shanks' eyes. Did I do something wrong?

Shanks crouches in front of me, staring into my eyes seriously. I sheathe my--his--sword and lift an eyebrow, asking a silent question.

"That power," he says softly. "I didn't think there was a way for you to have it, because he's still alive."

"What?" I ask, puzzled. He's not making sense.

"You see," he goes on, hopefully planning to explain, "there is only one Devil Fruit per power."

"So like, there can't be two rubber people at once?" I guess, my thoughts drifting to Luffy and the others.

"Exactly. Which is why it should be impossible for you to have eaten the Flame Flame Fruit, Raya. Because there's a man who already has that power."

"I didn't kill anyone, if that's what you're thinking," I mutter defensively.

He shakes his head. "I wasn't," he assures me. "I'm only trying to make sense of this. Can you tell me how you got these powers?"

So I tell him about the goddamn awful tasting fruit I found back on Maya, and how I thought it was strange because I couldn't figure out where it had come from.

Shanks sighs, smoothing his hair back away from his handsome face. "There are rumors," he says, frowning. "Rumors that a man working for the World Government is manufacturing artificial Devil Fruits."

"Why would anyone do that?"

"I don't know for sure. I've heard it's so the World Government could have an army of powerful Devil Fruit users for whatever purpose they have. But I really don't know."

"Wait, so I ate an artificial fruit? Is that like, going to hurt me?"

"I doubt it, if nothing's happened so far. Just... be careful Raya, alright? For me?"

I smile softly, nodding. "Course, Dad," I say brightly, and his eyes widen. "You called me Dad..."

What? I... Huh, I guess I did. Guess I'm ready for that now.

"I said it before too," I remind him, blushing a little. I've never seen such a loving, amazing smile on a person's face before. And it's all directed at me. It's... great, honestly.

But of course the moment can't last.

"Captain! Captain!"

Both Shanks and I look up to see a now somehow sober Rockstar racing towards us, determination etched onto his oafish face.

"What is it, Rockstar?" Shanks asks, standing. Rockstar points in the direction of the starboard side, almost accusingly. "Marines," he states, like it leaves a bad taste in his mouth.

I follow his pointing finger and spot the lone Marine ship, quite close to us, actually.

"What Marine would be dumb enough to take on a Yonko with only one ship?" I wonder aloud. Shanks nods, narrowing his eyes at the ship. "Exactly," he says. "So lets just leave them be. There's a good chance they'll just report our location to their superiors and not bother us at all."

That sounds about right. But something's still not right...

I walk over to the railing, watching the ship draw closer, as Shanks continues talking to Rockstar. "They're probably just wondering why we aren't in the New World. It is a little odd for us to be on this half of the Grand Line, really."

"Dad," I say, interrupting his conversation. "Do you guys have a spyglass I can borrow?"

A moment later, the cool metal object is pressed into my hand, and I lift it to my eye, straining to make out the figure on the bow of the approaching ship.

"Can't be..." I mutter, annoyed my eyes are playing tricks on me. "What is it?" Shanks asks, coming to stand beside me. "That Marine, that Commodore ," I say, squinting through the spyglass. "He's..."

I nearly drop the spyglass into the ocean.

"It's Bayer!"

"Bayer...?" Shanks repeats, sounding like he remembers the man from Maya. "He was that Commander back on the island, wasn't he?"

I nod, too shocked to speak properly. How the hell did that man rise to Commodore so damn quickly? It just doesn't make sense.

"Hey, what's wrong, Raya?" Shanks puts his hand on my trembling shoulder. I'm quite literally shaking with fury.

"Not really," I admit, gritting my teeth. "I was hoping I'd never see that man again."

I give Shanks a brief summary of what I went through because of Bayer. How he did nothing to stop the pirates who killed Mom eight years ago, how he accepted the praise, and promotion, for doing nothing at all. How he allowed the entire village to treat me like shit because of my dreams. And lastly, how he tried to have me executed.

"WHAT?!" Shanks exclaims, hysterically I might add. "EXECUTED?!"

"Yeah," I say calmly. "But obviously, Luffy and Zoro saved me, so there's no need to get all upset about it. Well, ok, you can get upset. I guess that's pretty normal. Just no spazzing out, ok Dad?"

I give him a stern look, warning him to follow my advice. He sobers up fairly quickly, remaining silent as I mentally debate with myself.

I sigh; he isn't going to like this.

"Dad," I say, watching the Marine ship, instead of him, to gather my resolve. I have the feeling that if I look at him, see his gentle concern flashing in his dark eyes, that I'll forget all about this crazy scheme of mine. And I just can't have that. "I want to raid that Marine ship."

My request is met with absolute silence. Even the din of my drunken crew mates seems muted as I wait for for Shanks' response.

"Why?"

The question is soft, laced with puzzlement and worry. I swallow thickly, the spyglass trained on Bayer once again.

"You can't be thinking of getting revenge."

"No," I say, agreeing. "It's not revenge. It's due justice. Something the Marines are apparently too corrupt to handle."

"Raya..."

"Dad, trust me when I say this: That man, Bayer, is not a good Marine. He cares next to nothing about the people he's sworn to protect. He may not come off that way when he's in public, and he can act like he's the nicest, most caring guy in the world. But he only cares about himself, and his title. All the years I spent on Maya, I watched him parade around the village like some sort of hero, before he'd stumble across someone or something he didn't like. Then he became a completely different person. He wasn't even above throwing kids in jail for accidentally bumping into him on the street. And if any Marine showed any sort of initiative, like aiming for his job as Commander, they'd have an 'accident' and be forced to retire early, or be sent to another station. I swear to God he is not deserving of his rank."

I wince at he memories pressing against my conscious mind, threatening to pull me away from the matter at hand. My last encounter with Bayer did not show his true colors in the slightest, and I have the scar on my shoulder to prove it. Damn Bear slashed me with his cutlass for causing a "disturbance" in the village, when in actuality I'd only been walking around in public. I think someone reported me acting suspicious or something along those lines, and he immediately believed them over me.

Even now, I can't figure out why the villagers respected him so much, when he was clearly such a menace. I can only guess that his offer of a "pirate-free Maya" was good enough for them to overlook his "bad habits".

"It's not like I'm going to kill him or anything," I add, guessing what he's worried about.

"It's not his well being that concerns me," he replies, forcing me to look at him with two fingers pressed under my chin. I offer him a cocky smile I firmly believe I can back up. "The only time Marines ever caught me was when I let them," I inform him proudly and he chuckles. "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

"So can I go?" I ask, hope bubbling up in my chest. He hesitates, obviously not sold on the idea. I widen my eyes and jut out my lower lip in what I hope is an adorable pout. He sighs, smoothing a hand down his face, shaking his head at me hopelessly. "Your mother had the exact same look," he says, rolling his eyes good-naturedly, "and I could never say no to her."

I jump up and down with excitement, before throwing myself at him and smothering him in a hug. "Just give me a boat, and I'll be back in a flash," I promise, grinning up at his grimacing face.

Too late to back out now, Dad.

It's remarkably easy to board the Marine ship unnoticed.

Despite several Marines roaming around the deck, no one spots me as I scale a line of discarded rigging clinging to the port side and slip onto the deck, where I crouch behind a group of barrels.

I watch for an opening where no Marines cross my intended path, and bolt forward when I find it, ducking into the cabin.

Bayer must've left the deck a while ago; it took a decent amount of time for me to row myself over here. But I don't know if he's below deck or not. He could have an office somehow here topside for all I know.

Muffled voices coming down the hall cause me to freeze, unsure of where to go. I'd like to remain inconspicuous for as long as possible, and knocking out a few men would certainly alert the others to my presence. I'm not exactly stealthy when it comes to a fight.

Seeing no other option, I slip into a seemingly unoccupied room, praying it's not the sailors' destination. I breathe a sigh of relief as I hear their footsteps pass me by without faltering, echoing softly as they soon disappear from my hearing range. I'm about to leave the room when an idea hits me.

What's the best way to remain unnoticed?

Act like everybody else.

A wicked smile claims my lips. I've always loved the idea of deception on a scale like this.

I turn my attention to the room I chose as my escape, my grin widening when I conclude that it's what I'm looking for: Barracks.

Several rows of bunk beds line the walls of the room, each with a set of chests on the floor in front of them. The room is bare of anything personal besides what must be stowed in the trunks. I trot up to the first chest, only to wrinkle my nose in disgust when I open it. Who puts dirty laundry BACK into their trunk?

Muttering incoherent words to myself, I turn to the next chest and cautiously open it. Oh thank Kami, fresh whites!

I pull out the customary Marine uniform, frowning at how large it is. Well, as long as no one looks at me too closely.... I shrug and pull on the long blue pants over my jeans and shrug the sleeveless white shirt on. I tie the stiff blue handkerchief around my neck, feeling slightly bad as I knot it. Feels like I'm betraying my pirate heart by wearing this ugly ass uniform. I sigh, resolving that I can burn it later. At least that'll be fun

Dropping the white and blue cap onto my head, I exit the barracks, acting cool and confident as I walk the halls of the ship. Yup, I know EXACTLY where I'm going. Don't look at me, I don't stand out at ALL. So what if my black high tops aren't regulation?

Jeeze, I'm so sarcastic in my head.

I salute a "fellow Marine" as we pass each other, smirking behind my hand when he returns it without a second thought. You'd think they'd notice an unfamiliar sailor among their ranks.

Marines aren't too bright, are they?

Soon, though, I feel even less bright, as I become lost in the twists and turns, deep in the bowels of the ship. I have absolutely no idea where my wandering feet are taking me, though I still force a confident smile onto my face every time I see another sailor. Don't want them getting suspicious now.

Ok. I stop walking, pausing as I study the two hallways before me. Left or right? God, it's such a simple decision, why can't I just make up my mind?

I stiffen, hearing the approach of another Marine. But I just as quickly relax. Why not take advantage of their gullibility, and just ask how to get to Bayer?

The man in the crisp, freshly pressed uniform appears around the corner of the left hallway, which for some reason makes me want to go right. Fight or flight response in action.

I hail him down with a stiff wave of my hand and he stops, saluting me. I disregard the temptation to roll my eyes and return the gesture. Now how to do this without raising suspicions? Should I just act like I'm a new recruit who can't find my way around the ship? It's so cliché but I don't see another option.

So, my face as expressionless and stern as the man I'm facing, I say, "Could you please to direct me to Commodore Bayer's quarters? He's requested something of me, and as I'm new, I haven't yet got my bearings."

The man eyes me before answering my question, a hint of a perverse smile on his scruffy face. Oh gross. He's like twenty years older than me, if the tight skin around his eyes, mouth an forehead is anything to go by.

Best to just ignore it. No unnecessary fights.

"Sure, darlin'," he drawls, stepping uncomfortably close and placing a dry, weather-beaten hand on my bare shoulder. My skin crawls where he touches it.

"Just go right from here, up the steps at the end a the next hall, and it's the las' room on the left side." He points right, the direction I had a gut feeling about. Why couldn't I have just listened to my instincts? I wouldn't have met this grotesque excuse for a grown man otherwise.

I give a curt nod of thanks, ducking out of his grasp. I feel his dirty eyes on me as round the corner, and I have to force myself not to shiver. Just. Plain. Wrong. On so many levels.

Before I can even begin to follow the R-rated version of Sanji's instructions, I stumble across something most unexpected.

"Why the hell would you put the powder room across the hall from the vault?" I wonder aloud, stopped between the two rooms. I cock my head to the side, a decidedly insane, but nonetheless brilliant, idea forming. Might as well have a little fun while I'm here.

Third Person POV

Shanks was not taking his daughter's absence well.

Benn Beckman finds that to be laughably obvious as he watches his captain pacing around the deck, tearing at his red hair, an expression of pure horror etched onto his usually calm, carefree face.

He passes curious crew members, not sparing them a single glance or explanation. Shanks--or rather, Raya--had decided that there was no need to alert the entire crew to her escapade. Only Yasopp and Benn himself had been informed. And only because Shanks insisted they be ready to move if she found herself in need of help.

She's scoffed, stating that there'd be no need for a rescue party. Half an hour, she'd said. That was how long she'd be away from the ship.

The allotted time was only half gone. And yet Shanks can't keep himself from imagining the worst. What if she's been captured? What if she's hurt, with no way to contact them? What if...?

The questions continue to bounce around in his head, lending an almost painful expression to his handsome face as he conjures one terrible thought after another.

Yasopp sighs, eyes locked on his hysterical captain. He stands beside Benn, one foot lazily perched atop the railing while the first mate stands erect but relaxed, arms folded across his chest. "What's he gonna do when the month's up and we get her back to Luffy?" the sniper wonders, gesturing to Shanks with the barrel of his loaded pistol.

"I imagine he'll be winning quite a few more drinking contests," Benn says, and the two men chuckle, not only for the first mate's words, but also Shanks as he barrels straight through a group of rookies in his energetic pacing.

"I get why he's worried," Yasopp says, absently cocking his pistol skyward, as though he means to shoot down the seagulls flying past. It wouldn't surprise the first mate if that's what he intends to do; the sniper has a reputation for showing off his skills in just about every way possible. For very little reason, at times. "I've got a kid, too. But he's really got to learn that he can't keep her from doing what she feels she needs to. Like when I went to sea. I didn't want to leave Usopp behind, but the sea was calling!"

"Yes," Benn replies curtly, having heard the sniper's tale a thousand times before. "But Shanks is a little dense when it comes to the kids he loves. He loses every ounce of composure he has and... well, he turns into that." He points towards Shanks, who's now resorted to walking in circles just as frantic as his pacing, having been complained to by the inebriated crew.

"He trusts Luffy to be on his own," the sniper points out reasonably. Benn shrugs. "It's different with girls," he replies, earning a curious stare from Yasopp. A small smile flickers across Benn's lips. "No matter how much Raya proves herself, she'll always be Daddy's Little Girl."

Raya's POV

I'm quite enjoying the look on Bayer's face. It's like a cross between petrified and furious, with a hint of "what the hell did I eat for dinner?".

It was easy enough to get here. After, ah, laying the groundwork for my master plan, I just followed the pervert's directions on how to find Bayer's office. And there he was, sitting complacently at his high backed swivel chair, hands folded neatly in front of his pinched face as he surveyed some sort of document.

And when he finally looked up, after the lock clicked softly behind me?

I got a really warm feeling in my chest. I believe it's called sweet, sweet vengeance.

Honestly, the look he's giving me now is payment enough for everything he's done to me. I don't know why, maybe it's the sadistic side of me, but I find absolute joy in watching this man squirm. I've never seen a man turn this many shades of red and purple.

"Raya!"

I think he intended to shout, but my name comes out in low, disgusted whisper. Music to my ears.

"Hello Bear," I greet him pleasantly, striding towards his deck, so like the one he occupied on Maya only a weeks ago. Hmm, I think that'll be my first question. When he allows me to get a word in edge wise, that is.

"How the hell are you here?!" he snarls, finally morphing into the arrogant, evil bastard I know and hate. I've never feared him, though. There was always a part of me that just found him to be too stupid for his own good. And that kept the fear at bay, even when he slashed open my shoulder, spraying the road with my crimson blood.

"Oh," I say in mock surprise. "I suppose you thought I was dead after your little cannonball hit me? That was you who fired, right?" I ask, my lips curling into a smile when I see his startled reaction. I was just fishing there, but it doesn't surprise me. Course this guy would want to get rid of Maya's Number One Menace himself.

"Well, as you can see, I'm perfectly healthy and whole, and very happy you recognize me despite my hair change," I say, running my fingers through a few crimson strands. He looks like he's only just noticed the change. Good.

"Now my turn for a question," I say, turning serious in an instant. Ignoring me, he reaches for a Den-Den Mushi at his desk, I guess wanting to call for assistance. Ooh, bad choice. I slide my sword from its sheath and whip it down mere centimeters from his fingers, just shy of the communication device. The little yellow snail with the purple shell sweat drops, subtly scooting back from the sharp edged blade.

I hear Bayer swallow thickly.

"Now," I say, drawing the sword up and resting the point at the base of his throat. "How could a man as useless as you actually make Commodore? And so quickly? And I suggest you don't lie to me, Bear," I add in a low growl, drawing blood.

Another swallow. His Adam's Apple rubs against my blade and he flinches back slightly as more blood drips down his throat.

"B-bribery!" he finally manages to choke out. I sigh. I should have guessed... "Just the sort of thing I'd expect from you, Bear," I say, tsking as I shake my head. I sheathe my sword, seeing no need for the threat any longer. Bayer stiffens, not trusting my actions for a moment. "Aren't you going to kill me?" he asks, fighting for control of his quaking voice. That's right. Mason Bayer never did like direct conflict. Snake.

"And stain my father's blade with your filthy blood?" I question, wrinkling my nose at the thought. "I'd rather have it melted down and turned into a bedpan."

"No," I continue in the startling silence that follows. "I didn't come here with the intent to kill you. More like prove a point."

"And that would be?" he asks, voice still betraying him and his terrible fear.

I smile. "That my dreams were never to be laughed at and scorned, especially by the likes of you."

The flame lit lamp on his desk flickers eerily, framing his face in an unnatural, and unflattering way. He looks even more vile than usual, his sunken eyes hollower, cheekbones sharper, and mouth crueler.

But I expect the grin on my face appears even more sinister. "Though you will be losing another ship tonight," I say, turning on my heel and making for the door. I pause, my hand wrapped around the brass knob. "And if you value your life, I'd step down from the Marines. Mercy is a very fragile thing, Bayer. So easily revoked."

And with that, I exit the room, leaving a flabbergasted Bayer in my wake.

Halfway down the hall, I find a wall mounted Den-Den Mushi and decide now's the time to warn the other sailors. See, I found a bunch of gasoline in the powder room, where they store gun powder and cannonballs. Why it was there, I don't know, but I sure as hell took advantage of it. Three sections of the ship are now completely bathed in gas, with trails of the flammable liquid connecting them. And this fire will burn so hot there's no way they'll be able to put it out before it engulfs the entire ship and sends its charred remains to the bottom of the sea.

I pluck the transponder's receiver from its hook and clear my throat. The sound echoes through the ship with he aid of dozens of speakers. "Attention all crew members, this is an urgent message. The ship will soon be set on fire. So get the hell into the water." I pause. "That is all."

I grin a little too much as I hear the sounds of panic from the floors above and below me. I warned them because I have no interest in taking an innocent human life. Course Bayer isn't innocent but I'm almost positive I'd regret it later. So I'll leave him be.

I give the crew a good five minutes, then follow the smell of gasoline back to my first trap and let loose a quick torrent of flames from my fingertips.

And all hell breaks loose.

Shanks' POV

Raya still isn't back yet.

It's been forty five minutes, and she's still not on my ship. Oh I knew I shouldn't have let her go alone. But she insisted with that heart melting pout and.... I just couldn't resist.

So much like her mother, it would bring a smile to my lips in any other situation.

"Hey Boss!" Yasopp calls out, waving me over with his pistol. I cross the deck in a few quick strides to stand in front of my sniper and first mate. Yasopp chuckles, probably because my hair is so disheveled from pulling at it so much. "Stop your worrying, would ya? She's YOUR daughter," he reminds me. "She'll be here soon."

"But she--"

"Is going to be fine," Benn interrupts, placing a hand on my shoulder. He smiles reassuringly at me. "Listen to your first mate and just wait for a few minutes. If she's still gone by then, the three of us will get her back. It's only one Marine ship; they won't be much trouble for us."

I nod slowly, trying to calm myself down. They're right. Raya will be fine. And if anything has happened, we'll save her. Of course we will! I--

A searing red light erupts from the Marine ship, momentarily blinding me. When I'm able to see past the black spots dancing in front of my eyes, I nearly faint

The whole ship is on fire!

"RAYA!"

Yasopp and Benn have to hold me back, keep me from diving right into the ocean and swimming to the blazing ship.

"Let me go!" I shout, as one of the rookies calls out excitedly, "Ooh! Fireworks!"

They really are all plastered, aren't they?

"Captain!" Yasopp yells, forcing me to the ground as I continue to struggle. "It's fire!" Benn nods, confusing me further as I stare at the embers trailing into the sky, the black night illuminated by the fierce flames, which also cast brilliant reflections onto the water.

"Yes I know it's fire!" I snap, once again trying to free myself from my crew's grasp. "Why do you think we have to help her?!"

"But Captain," Yasopp tries again. "Raya is--"

"I like to think of myself as living flames," a voice says proudly from farther down the deck close to the bow.

Benn and Yasopp immediately release me as he three of us, and the majority of the crew, snap our heads up to stare at the girl, now bathed in flickering incandescent light, standing on the rail with a grin on her face. "Of course," she adds, coughing into her fist, "I personally can't stand smoke."

In the next instant, I'm crushing her in a hug, silent tears on relief dripping down my face. She lets out a muffled, "Woah... Can't... breathe..."

I only loosen my hold on her enough for her to push back and smile up at me. She's covered in ash and soot, her face almost black from the grime, and she's coughing rather violently from the smoke build up in her lungs. But she's alive. And she's smiling.

"Sorry I worried you so much, Dad," she says, sounding sheepish. "But I couldn't resist. They made it incredibly easy to burn down their ship. They were almost begging for it!"

"Your daughter certainly has a flare for the dramatic," Benn chuckles as he reaches us, patting Raya's head. She beams at him, clearly taking it as a compliment. "She gets that from her mother," I say, hugging her close to me again.

"Dad," she says, "I think I just ruined your shirt. And quite possibly your pants."

"Don't ever do something like that again," I breathe, and I feel her wrap her arms around me comfortingly. "Not about the shirt," she says lightly, causing an unexpected chuckle to escape me. "I'll try not to scare you anymore, Dad," she adds, raising her head from my chest to meet my eyes. "But with Luffy as my captain, I'm bound to get into trouble. Probably worse than this. But then again, Luffy is not the type of guy to let his friends get hurt, so I think I'll be in good hands."

She smiles again as I run my fingers through her hair, trying to convince my still racing heart that she's safe and sound. "I love you, Dad," she says sweetly.

I finally smile back. "I love you too, Raya."