Approaching the Climax

Raya's POV

It's difficult to keep my mind off the fate of my nakama. Sanji is the only Straw Hat I've seen since they departed for their role in the plan. That plan has since blown up in our faces. Of course, we won't give up. We're Straw Hats. We don't back down when our friends are in trouble. We fight harder until we can save them from whatever trouble fate has thrown their way.

It's what nakama do.

"Come on, Vivi," I urge, fighting back a wince. Trying to fight againt Mr. 2 caused more problems than I'll admit. But it's nothing if it means I can help the Princess of Alabasta save her kingdom.

We round a corner and come across a group of royal soldiers behind a partial barricade formed from bags of grain. They look up as we draw closer, brandishing weapons.

"Halt!" they shouts, holding up their hands. "Are you a rebel?

Yes, because, if I am in fact a rebel, I'm going to stop and answer your question.

"Oi!" I shout, waving at them to move. "Princess of Alabasta coming through! We have places to be and people to manipulate!"

This earns me a worried look from Vivi; it seems she fears for my sanity. "That last part slipped out. Honest," I say, smiling. She sighs and raises her head, allowing the guards to catch sight of her face.

"P-Princess Vivi?!?"

She pulls me to a stop just inside the barricade, despite my constant urging for us to keep moving. She looks around at the stunned faces of the men dedicated to serving her father and protecting her family. "Take me to Chaka!" she implores. "I need him to do something for me!"

The guards turn frantic, stuttering countless "Hai!"-s. Two detach from the group and flank us as we keep moving through the abandoned streets of Alubarna. The sounds of fighting remain at their current level even as we push farther and farther into the heart of the city.

The rebels are drawing closer.

If they reach the palace, I don't know what to expect from them. Will they demand that the King be executed? Is that the justice they seek? Vivi will die before she allows such a thing. I close my eyes, letting her tight hold on my hand keep me from wandering. I can imagine what she'd do to save her father from death. Offer her own life, is the most likely thing. I can't let that happen, or everything the Straw Hats have been working towards will mean less than nothing.

With the streets so empty and no fighting to push through, it requires only fifteen minutes to reach the palace. As much as I'd like to stand and study the grand achitecture before me, such luxuries are not permitted at a time like this. But from what I do gather, the palace is huge, the steps leading up to it as spectacular as they come. It is stunning, classic desert design yet not ostentatious at all.

I read a book about desert achitecture once, because I ran out of more interesting titles. Now I'm, well not an expert, but at least well-versed.

Outside the palace, just past the stairs, we run into a giant of a man, with straight black hair cut to his chin, a pointed nose curled only slightly towards the end, in dark robes. He towers over the other soldiers, as mighty a warrior as they come.

"Chaka!" Vivi shouts, running into his open arms. Stunned, but euphoric, "Chaka" embraces the young princess, engulfing her in his arms.

I stand to the side beside the two soldiers who brought us, awkward without a purpose. I receive several sympathetic glances from the dozens of soldiers surrounding this part of the palace, to which I scowl in response. I don't want pity from strangers, any more than I want it from my friends. Others look at me, puzzled. I hear a whispered conversation, in which the words "Red-Haired Demon" and "Monster" are used. I flick the hair from my eyes, the full force of my glare exposed, and the two offending soldiers slink away in fear.