Kitten

I was playing with my three annoying yet cute kittens when this idea popped into my head XD

Newt's POV

The newest Greenie just arrived. He had red hair and dark brown eyes. I jumped down into the box, making him jump in suprise.

"W-who are you? Where am I?" He asked with a shaky voice.

"Name's Newt, we'll explain everything to you later, Greenie. Let's get you out of here, first." I said grabbing his hand and helping him up.

He was pulled put of the box and I kneeled down to pick up the supplies that came along with him. I grabbed a box then went to grab a bag in the corner of the box. Then, I saw something move in the bag. I stopped in confusion, watching the bag move a bit more.

"Newt? You bringing up the supplies?" Minho called down to me.

"Yeah, just a sec..." I said

I set down the box and slowly opened the bag. Suddenly, something small jumped out of the bag and hit me in the face. I yelled in suprise and fell over.

It was a kitten.

The grey kitten mewed and stood on my chest, looking at me with it's bright blue eyes.

"Newt, why did you yell? Wait, what is that?" Minho aksed.

"It's a bloody cat!" I said.

I picked it up off my chest and held it in my arms. It started putting when I started petting it and I smiled.

"Cute little shank." I whispered to the kitten.

"Well, bring up the supplies then we can tell Alby about this."

I handed up the supplies and Minho helped me out of the box. I handed Minho the kitten and he looked at it like some alien. Then, he sneezed roughly and handed the kitten back to me.

"I think I'm allergic to the thing." He sniffed.

I laughed picked up the supplies after setting the kitten down.

"Yeah, well, I'm going to bring these to the Homestead. See you later, and if you see Tommy, tell him to meet me there, okay?"

"Right, are you two going to make out or something?" Minho teased

"How'd you guess?" I replied with a straight face.

His face got red and he walked away, grumbling under his breath. I smirked and started towards the Homestead. I heard a meow come from behind me when I was almost there, I turned my head to see the little gray kitten following me around like I was her mother. I opened the door to the Homestead and the kitten came bounding in, smelling everything in reach. I set down the box and bag of supplies and turned to see her playing with a rock.

"Come here, you litte shank." I laughed, scooping her up.

She started biting my thumb and purring loudly, then Thomas walked through the door, sweaty from all the running. He's been my boyfriend for about two weeks now, and I've never been happier, but when he goes out into that maze, I never know if he's going to be coming back to me.

"Hey, Newt. What're you holding?" He asked, walking up to me.

His face lit up when he saw the little kitten in my arms. I handed it to him and he happily played with her. It was as if all his fears had left him and been replaced with happiness, and it was all from this kitten.

Soon enough, the kitten started getting tired, and curled into a ball on Thomas's lap and went to sleep. His face softened as he picked her up, walked to his bed and set her down on it.

"Where'd she come from?" He asked, taking my hand.

"She was in the box with the new Greenie. Scared the bloody life out of me when she pounced on my chest." I chuckled.

We walked through the Deadheads and talked about our days, me telling him about he Greenie and him telling me about the maze. Thomas told me that he's going to try a new way tomorrow, and that it might lead to something new. I just hope he makes it back to me.

***

"Where is that bloody idiot?" I said, pulling on my hair.

I stood in front of the doors, waiting for my boyfriend to come running down the maze any time now. The doors were going to close soon, and I was losing mind. I couldn't live without him.

Suddenly, I heard a soft more come from my feet. I saw the kitten, weaving between my legs. I scooped her up and sat against a tree, petting the purring cat soothingly. I started feeling more relaxed and less tense while petting the ball of fur, but I still waited for Thomas to come running back. Soon enough, Thomas came running forward from the maze, panting and sweating. I put the kitten down and ran to his side.

"Tommy, what took you so long?" I asked worridly.

"I got lost for a bit. Did you worry too much again?" He said, gasping for breath.

"No, I had a little company to comfort me."