Cancer

Dedicated to the_runner_on_fire for being awesome! XD

Thomas's POV

I walked alone to the hospital with the rain pouring over my water-proof hood. I visit the hospital every day from one to three in order to see the most important person in my life: Newt. He was diagnosed with cancer two years ago and those were the toughest years in our relationship. He kept telling me that he was holding me back from my life, and that he shouldn't get in the way. But what he didn't understand is that he is my life.

I entered through the front doors and waved to the nurses who had gotten used to my visiting every day. I went to the usual room, 250. I knocked on the door and a smile grew on my face as I saw my beautiful boyfriend sitting in his bed.

"Hey Tommy." Newt said with his light British accent.

"Hi Newtie. How are you feeling today?" I ask while leaning over and kissing his forehead.

"Better than yesterday. I have some kemo in a few hours, and the doctors say the treatment is working."

"That's great. Oh, your sister told me to tell you 'the devil has swam.' What does that mean?" I asked, sitting down in the chair next to the bed and grabbing Newt's hand.

"T-the devil?" He said, his face getting pale.

"Yeah, Newt are you okay?" I stood up in nervousness, he started to look deathly pale.

"I-I'm..."

"I'm going to get a doctor." I ran to the door, but was stopped by Newt grabbing my wrist.

"No, Tommy. It's fine. That message is just code words between my sister and I." He said with a slight smile on his face.

"What's it mean?"

"'The devil has swam.'" Newt sighed, as if he was in relief.

He started chuckling quietly until it grew into full-on laughing. I've never heard him laugh that hard since he was diagnosed.

"It means my douche of a father has died." He said, wiping a tear from his eye.

"Your dad died? Finally, he deserves to rot in hell for what he did to you." I growled.

Newt's father abused him from an early age. He was a drunkard and a drug addict. His mother died from a car crash when he was ten, and that's what went his father ovdr the edge. In grade school, Newt became suicidal because of him and his hurtful words and beatings. He even tried to kill himself once. He jumped off the railing in his apartment and tore apart his ankle, leaving him with a permanent limp. After his leg healed up and when he started coming to school again, I met Newt. We clicked immediately and I fell in love with him at first sight. After about six months of friend-zone, I finally got the guts to ask him out, and he said yes. Ever since then, we've been going strong, except for when he was diagnosed.

"Tommy, I don't feel very well." Newt said hoarsly.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked worridly.

"I-I-" he stopped talking and his eyes rolled back into his head and he started shaking violently. I screamed for a nurse or doctor to come in. A nurse barged in and gasped at Newt.

"Hold his legs down!" She ordered.

I gripped his feet and pinned them to the bed, she grabbed his shoulders and pressed a big red button on the patient's controller. More doctors and nurses came in, and one nurse took Newt's legs from me. I staggered backward, my eyesight was getting blurry and all of the colors in the room blended together. One of the nurses took my arm and planted me in a chair.

"Sit down, you look faint." She said.

My eyesight cleared after a while and I could see and hear the doctor a talking about what they were going to do.

"The cancer must've spread to his brain. That explains the seizure."

"What should we do? The cancer is spreading fast."

"We need to do emergency brain surgery to remove the tumor. That's the only way he'll ever have a chance."

"W-what?" I cut in. "Brain surgery?"

"Who are you? Are you related to-"

"Boyfriend. He visits every day." The female doctor cut in.

"I see. Well, as you probably heard, Newt's cancer has spread to his brain, and we need to do emergency brain surgery if he ever has a chance of surviving."

"H-he might die?" I stuttered, tears running down my face.

"There's a low percentage of his survival, but at least there's some hope."

"Please, do what you have to. I can't lose him." I cried.

"Okay, he's prepped for surgery. We'll be going now, Thomas." The doctor said. We put her Jan on my shoulder and smiled weakly before waking out the room.

I sat down in the chair again and waited.

***

"Thomas?"

I felt someone shake my shoulder. I groaned and opened my eyes slightly.

"Wha..?"

"Thomas, it's Newt." She said solemnly.

"What about him?" I asked, fully awake.

"Follow me."

She led me down the hall imo the intensive care unit. We entered a room where I was Newt laying down on a bed, his eyes closed. His face was peacefully tired, as if he was sleeping forever. Bad comparison.

"The surgery went fine. He might wake up in a little bit." She said.

"Thank you so much." I cried years of happiness and hugged the doctor.

I went up I Newt and kissed his forehead and hand.

"T-Tommy.." Newt mumbled.

"Yeah? I'm here, babe." I whispered.

"An I dead?"

"No, I won't let you die." I chuckled.

I kissed his lips softly and sat down in the chair. I watched him fall asleep again and soon enough, so did I.