Minho the Matchmaker

Newt's POV

"I can't take it anymore, Min." I groaned into my pilliow.

"What is it now?" Minho sighed, he's gotten used to my complaining.

"It's Thomas. Again."

I had the biggest crush on Thomas, one of my best friends. I loved him, but I could never tell him that. I couldn't risk spoiling our friendship with my silly crush.

"I've told you, Newt, just tell him how you feel. You never know, he might like you back."

"Yeah right. I can see it in his eyes that he loves Brenda, not me."

"Maybe they're just close friends," Minho said. "C'mon Newt, I can't take your complaining anymore."

"Sorry, it's just that I can't risk our friendship. If he says no, it would ruin everything that we have," I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, I pulled it out and saw a text from my mom. "I have to go home. See you tomorrow."

"Bye."

Thomas's POV

I texted Minho to ask if I could come over. I needed to talk about Newt. He's been acting really weird around me lately. I walked to his doorstep and knocked. A few seconds later, it opened and Minho stood there. He motioned for me to come inside and we went upstairs to his room.

"You just missed Newt, he left a few minutes ago." Minho told me.

"Newt is what I wanted to talk to you about. He's been acting strange around me lately. Do you think he found out that I like him?" I asked nervously.

I've liked Newt for a while now. I really want to tell him how I feel, but I can't risk our friendship with a petty crush.

"Oh my god, just tell him how you feel, man. He might like you back."

"No, I can't risk being rejected. Besides, I can see that he had a crush on Teresa. They spend a lot of time together."

Minho groaned and flopped onto his bed, his face buried into the pillow. What was he so annoyed about?

***

I was laying on my bed with my face smothered into a pillow when I heard my phone buzz on my side table. I lazily grabbed it and unlocked my phone, my eyes lingering on my wallpaper of Newt and I before clicking on messages and reading the text that Minho sent me.

'Ey, Thomas, can u come meet me @ glade park near the pond in 5?'

I replyed 'sure' and got off my bed. I slipped on my shoes and ran a hand through my wild hair that I didn't bther brushing today. I grabbed my car keys from the counter and headed off towards Glade Park. I have no idea why Minho would want me to come to the park this late at night, but then again, I've learned not to question his reasons. I parked the car and started walking to the middle of the park where the pond was located. When I got there, I saw someone with their hood up sitting on a bench. That must be Minho. I walked towards him and tapped his shoulder. When he turned his head I jumped in suprise.

"Hey Tommy. What're you doing here?"

"Newt?" I said in suprise. "I thought you were Minho. He texted me and told me to meet him here."

"He did the same for me." Newt said, standing up.

We stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before realizing why Minho tricked us into getting together.  I rubbed my hands together and took a deep breath.

"Newt, do you, uh, like Teresa?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"Of course. She's very nice and a good friend."

"So just as a friend, then."

He nodded. "You like Brenda, right?"

"Yeah, she's nice, but just as a friend."

"I see." He said quietly.

My heart was pounding in my chest. I found out that Newt likes Teresa as a friend and nothing more. But, the thing that was making me the most flustered was the way Newt looked. His hood was still up and loose strands of his blond hair were covering his bright eyes that were illuminated by the moonlight. I was stating at his beauty until I noticed that he was stating back at me with an equally star-struck look.

"Thomas, I have something that I need to tell you." Newt said quietly, not breaking gaze.

"I have something I need to tell you too."

Newt gave me a small smile. "Do you think we might want to say the same things?" He asked, stepping closer to me.

"I do."

I brought our faces closer together before lightly pressing my lips to his soft ones. We pulled away after a few seconds before Newt looked down in embarrassment. I could see that his face was red. I chuckled before wrapping my arms around his waist and bringing him in for another kiss. We were only a few moments in before I saw a bright flash of light coming from the left of us. We broke apart and looked over to see Minho taking pictures with his phone.

"Minho!" I yelled.

"What? I had to use flash to get the best lighting!" He whined.

Newt laughed before grabbing my hand and kissing my cheek.

"Minho the matchmaker strikes again." I sighed.