Vlogmas Day 17: Couples Workout

"Guys..." I say and heave for my breath. It was my idea to go work out together at the gym but it was Abbs' idea to run to the gym. I never run, I mostly just work with weights and the exercise machines and just the two-mile run has me exhausted. Just holding up my vlogging camera is making my whole body ache.

"What's to problem, love?" Abbs teases me while stretching out her legs. "Too hard?"

She runs a couple of time a week and definitely has better cardio than me. Even now when I'm struggling to breathe and taste blood in my mouth, she's still peppy and only her rose-coloured cheeks indicates that she's been running. Frankly that just makes her look adorable.

"Nah, I'm fine," I lie through my teeth. "It's just a bit chilly that's all."

"Ah ha," she says knowingly and if I'm not mistaken she even winks at the vlog. Since when did she share insider jokes with my subscribers?

"Just you wait 'til we get started on the weights," I say and upon realising that rhymed adds, "hey that rhymed!"

Abbs raises one eyebrow at me. "No, it did not, honey. One ends on a plosive and the other on a fricative."

"Huh?"

"The phonetics of the words. It's different kinds of consonant sounds," Abbs clarifies although I still don't understand. I never get it when she speaks in grammatical terms like that but it does remind me that she's more educated than I am. I only finished sixth form; she's over halfway done with her undergraduate.

I'm not bothered by it because for what I want to achieve I don't need a degree and spending money on it would be pointless. I'm not really sure if Abbs will need hers but I do know that she loves learning new things and that's enough for me to support her in her academic endeavours.

"Whatever," I say pulling her along into the gym with me. "Now, it's time to show Abbs how to workout at the gym. She's clearly in better running shape than me but I'm stronger than her."

"I never get why you want to play around with all these exercise machines," Abbs says, poising her hand on her hip and looks around sceptically. "I like running because it clears my mind and I get some fresh air at the same time. It smells stuffy in here."

"Well you don't get hench from running, you just get lean," I explain to her. "Here try this one."

I direct her towards the butterfly machine for chest exercising. I have feeling she won't be able to do a press and then maybe, she'll gain some respect for the gym. Or maybe not but I know it'll prove hilarious footage.

"What is this contraption?"

"It's for your chest, see like this," I say, handing her my camera and sitting down. I grip onto the machine and slam the resistance bands together in front of me. It's not set with that much weight so I can do it easily.

"That looks so easy when you do it," Abbs says and I can hear she's a bit doubtful.

"Yeah, give it a try," I say and she sits down. She takes a firm grip of the bands and a deep exhale as she tries to repeat my action... and fails miserable. They hardly move. 

I'm literally on the floor, crunching my stomach and laughing at the expression on her face. I really hope the camera was in focus.

Once my laughter settles I look up at her and almost expect her to be cross with me but she looks amused too.

"Oh well, maybe I won't beat you in an arm-wrestle but I'll beat you in any race," she says cheerfully.