8: New World

"Wake up girl, this was just the beginning of every end . . ."

It wasn't a clement day; it wasn't a beautiful morning and even if it was I did not feel the slightest of happiness; I felt broken inside out but somewhere down all the pieces; I felt strong hope for my coming days. I knew I had to do this. It had been a pleasant week after my father's sudden and unfortunate death. It was of Allah almighty's will and father was in a far better place, better than this world though leaving me, his princess in a foreign world. I was utterly alone, even with all the support not once did I feel at home. I had woken up to green eyes the night my father died, and I still remember vividly how I had slipped from the top to my original place, to the man I was now officially wedded to. How uncle had got me to sign the papers, how I had ended up in Musa's house, how I had endlessly slept away the nightmare of being his. Every girl wishes to have a happy wedding, whereas I had finally come to terms with fate. I had not expected my Nikkah on my father's Janazah. It was depressing; it was heartbreaking, revolting, but I knew I had to do this, it was my job, and I had to prove who I was by accepting what fate rewarded me with. I believed in Allah and one day Musa will come to terms with me; I knew I had to be patient; I had to be loving and wise. But the feeling of being controlled and dragged mercilessly everywhere was overwhelming and upsetting.

Turning towards the window whilst on the unknown bed, I gazed out at the unforgiving, blazing sun. Squinting my eyes, I sighed heavily. Who even did that these days, was I not aware of the cruelty the world held in its core? It was time I got out and faced the world, with a name no longer attached to my father's. I knew I had become a member of the Al-Mustafa family, but I was still going to hold onto it. I had little time to decide when I wanted to stay at his place as his father was being very edgy and suspicious, creating more problems, and I didn't want that at all. Sitting upright, my hair bedraggled, I stroked a few knots and quit for the extent of how many knots I had. Frustrated, I got out of bed and headed for a shower. In the master bathroom, I saw a duffel bag holding my necessities and clothing. It was like I was thrown out of my own home with no consent at all, it was barbaric and pathetic even for someone like me, who had some sort of control. Grabbing a peach gown that fell perfectly on me, I hopped in wanting to take all the grime off of me, the distress. I knew a lot was awaiting me outside my door. Exiting the bathroom, not realizing the noise the television created or the figure standing in the middle of the room making the master bedroom small compared to him. Towel in hand, I rubbed the material through my long brown hair, making sure the water was out. The bath sure was refreshing. Flipping my hair back, away from my face, I gazed up and straight into green eyes, intriguing eyes that watched me closely, making me shiver wholly. Gasping, I jumped back, startled at him presently there, placing a hand over my beating heart. "Ya Rab, you startled me." I breathed, trying to calm myself. A whisper of smirk lingered on his lips, but he did not show, instead cleared his throat giving me a straight look.

"You should be aware of your surroundings." He countered unnecessarily, then glanced down at my figure, making me very uncomfortable. Realizing my appearance, embarrassment encased me. I hurried to get my shawl, covering my hair and upper half clumsily. I grit my teeth at how clumsy I got around him.

He turned away and watched the news that broadcast what little was left of my family; he watched it so closely even I inched forward, closing the gap we had between us, just a little. I gasped when I saw the news of my father still blaring on screen. "Late Saadiq is gone, now the empire is being owned and ruled by a young daughter, Hoor, who married second-biggest business owner Musa Ibne Mustafa. Such a drastic change for the economy, society, and business. Other business executives argue over . . ." the news fell out of my ears as I backed away. The news was like hungry monsters awaiting us, me. He turned the blaring television off and twisted his tall frame towards me, eyeing me with empty green orbs.