38: The Nikkah & Pledges

"From tears to smiles, I have been by your side. Trouble in paradise, hell inside, I have been by your side."

"I can't get married! Let me go, you evil woman!" Seema whisper-screamed at a smug-looking Hoor. Hoor wasn't the type to laugh at someone's expense but the sight before her was delicious. She may have had missed an epic wedding and the dramatics of a bride herself, but she was now more than happy to say she didn't anymore. If brides were like this, she was glad they just got it over with.

"Darling. Calm down. You look beautiful, you can't back out now. "Hoor tried to reason with the hyperventilating bride.

Shaista chided the woman sternly, her brown hair fell in luscious locks, her body covered in a beautiful royal blue traditional Pashtoon dress. Shaista had in the duration of their trip suggested they try to wear and enjoy their cultural Pakistani wedding with a slight touch of Pashtoon beauty. Seema being adventurous had said yes immediately. The girls were then shown to live in a village. Having to read it in just books and whatnot, Hoor was beyond shocked and excited. Like a little girl, she ran through the sunflower fields chasing the baby goats who begged to be chased, she pampered their horse Zaheen, a beautiful black stallion from the lands of Baluchistan. Hoor had even dared to milk their cow only to freak out in the end when the cow just twitched its tail almost teasingly. At all of this, Musa felt like he was in heaven seeing his wife and daughter play like babes out in the open. The beauty of the village was exquisite, every time he saw his girls running around the fields and where not, he knew they were looking for trouble. A city girl running around the village was a sight to behold and Hoor always witnessed how to alight Musa's green eyes used to become at just the sight of her.

Their love for each other was becoming impossible to fade now that they have made sure not to let the tie unknot.

In the following days they had visited Islamabad to shop for the wedding, it was so exhausting. Everyone remembered how the grownup Mrs. Hoor whined about exhaustion. In all this time they had gotten to know Badar's family, it was nice to know that in one house there could be five children equally. When Musa had secretly suggested that to irk his wife, she had turned bright red between eight people who all stared at them as if they were from another planet. They had served them as if they were Gods, placing all types of dishes in savors and sweets asking them to pile their plates like it was the last day on earth. It was hectic, something Hoor hated doing.

"I'm glad we married silently. I don't think I would've survived in this hustle-bustle wedding stuff if you did not be a major ass back then my love." Hoor had whispered in his ear smiling ever so sweetly.

He had narrowed his green eyes at her wondering if she was serious or just being her sarcastic self. "I'm glad I did not bother you, my dear wife." He had almost growled.

Hoor being herself rolled her eyes and continued to be herself to endure this shopping fiesta a little more without any pain. And now after two weeks, they were all gathered in Badar's mansion for the wedding that was to now take place. They had invited the village of Karim Abad after stealing their hens for fun and to say it was epic would be an understatement. The entire village seemed like the family itself as they bustled about doing their tasks filling the house with joy. Laughter and music could be heard, clapping and the echo of their bangles along with a slight dhol rang out and into the evergreen gardens. Young girls and old aunties danced to the music, some putting henna on while some got ready wearing extremely heavy bright colored clothes looking their best with smiles that would be missed for decades.

Now as Hoor stared down at the bride before her, her heart swelled with joy and pride. Her childhood best friend, sister, and everything in the world was now being married to her Abdullah. Of course, she was happy and overjoyed. But now as Hoor looked at Seema, she just felt out of place at the beauty oozing out of her. In that dress and makeup done by the talented village girls under the watchful gaze of Shaista, Hoor knew Abdullah would make a run for the hills