2

2

Kate:

I awoke early as usual today and just as I was about to get up to do my chores, I realised that today was my assessment day and I wouldn't have any chores today. Breeders, when we turn 16, are made up, sent to be assessed and then if it comes back with a tick to being a breeder then we are packed up and shipped off.

My older sister Leah got up and started to get dressed in a long black dress, ready to do her chores. It was the same thing every day for her. She gets up, gets dressed and then goes to do her chores, stopping for lunch and stopping just after dinner. Mum gets to hang out with Leah, which mum just loves because she doesn't get to see her other children as much as Leah. Si, Artie and Clive come to see mum when they can, Artie more than others because Si is always in Beta training and never gets away that much.

Leah was now 19 and had dad's muddy brown hair. Her eyes were a murky grey colour and although her skin is pretty and flawless like mum's, her body and blood weren't compatible with breeder standards. She is a bit bigger than me and she doesn't have the nicest hair. She is pretty by normal standards, but not breeder standards.

Our mother, Catarina or Cat, came in to get me ready for the day as my sister left for possibly the last time to me. My mother had blonde hair like me and I got my father's silvery grey eyes. I was slim, but had my mother's curves and I left my long blonde hair down to hang just above my bum.

"Ready?" my mother asked.

"No"

"Katelyn remember, no sass." I rolled my eyes at my mother and got out of bed. My mother washed, dried and lightly curled my long blonde hair. She put me in a pale blue dress that came down below my knees and put a necklace around my neck, which was just simple pearls.

"Ok, let's get you downstairs." My mother hated to lose her children. She'd cry every time my father came and sent the boys off. Si was sent to Beta training and the rest into fight training. Only boys could be warriors as only they had wolves. Girls have the genes to make shifters, some stronger than others, but we can't shift, but I can.

Something went wrong with my mother's pregnancy with me. I was meant to have a male twin and he died in the womb. My mother thinks I absorbed his wolf and it awoke mine. I have all the shifter abilities that the boys have, but I keep mine secret, not even my father knows that I can shift.

My mother took me downstairs and over to our pack's assessors. Mum hugged me and gave me a kiss goodbye. The assessors took me over to a doctor's office type room and had me sit up on the examination bed. They drew a few vials of blood and the first assessor went over to a huge white machine to run it. The second assessor checked my reflexes, height, weight, sight, senses and noted all this down. I did get a few odd looks from him when he checked my reflexes, sight and senses because obviously with the wolf in me they were stronger than normal breeders.

The first assessor returned with my results of my blood type, DNA strength, anti-body count and wolf gene strength. The second assessor wrote down notes and handed me a sheet of paper with my fate on it. In large block letters it said:

BREEDER – VERY STRONG. ALPHA ONLY

And that was it. I was a breeder, a very strong one at that and my fate was sealed. The assessors led me through the back door, which meant that I was headed to the breeder auction and I'd never see my parents again. They'd be told of my status and however much was spent to buy me, 75% would go to my father.

I was bundled into a black sedan and driven off, away from my home and to the main breeder auction in New York and yes, I had to get on a plane. I wondered what my future had in store for me.