13

Due to the fact that sorting out our journey was going to take time, my parents had taken a guest bedroom in the main house and they were actually sharing a bedroom, which they had never really done back home. My parents had slept in separate rooms and the only time my father had gone into my mother's room at home was when he wanted sex, which almost always resulted in a child, but my mother was now well past the age of child bearing. It did confuse me that my parents had willingly decided to share a room when we had enough spare rooms for them to be apart. 

My mother had started hovering over me when father did not want her company. She also kept looking at the running of this house, which did include breeders either past the age of breeding, never sent to be sold or lived in the pack and worked here if they wished to. I too had realised just how different this pack was compared with my old pack. Less breeder daughters were sent off to be sold and those that stayed were more likely to marry someone from the pack who had given up on trying to find their mates. They were given the option when they turned 18 if they wished to go to market and only a few actually took it. Most of them liked living at home with their mothers and friends. The ones that worked in the main pack house, the training centre, hospital or anywhere that had public pack access were paid as well; not an awful lot, but enough that they could buy their own clothes if they wished. 

It did take my mother and especially my father some time to get used to the fact that I no longer wore or had in my closet any breeder clothes and this meant that I more likely to be seen in a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and some sneakers rather than my mother's long dress attire. My father grumbled about it the first few days that he was with us, but once Tomas had a talk with him and stared him down, my father quelled his thought and opinions or at least kept them to himself. 

My mother seemed to be battling internally with herself. As much as she loved seeing me again, it also seemed that she also got jealous with the way my life had turned out. She especially seemed to find it hard to keep her jealousy in control whenever Tomas was around me or when he kissed me or showed me any kind of affection. I sometimes thought I saw sadness in her eyes as well, but then sometimes I saw the way dad looked at her and thought that she could have what I have. 

With every yes we got back from neighbouring packs about us visiting, we built up a longer and longer itinerary until we managed to get to the point where we would be away for quite a while. We packed up my parent's SUV and Tomas' with enough stuff for us to survive. We would be driving pretty much cross-country. 

The night before out departure to the closest pack, Tomas called a pack meeting, which included everyone - even Ashleigh- and it was during this meeting that he let everyone know what was going to happen. He let them know that the leadership of the pack would go to the Beta and his mother while we were away. There was a murmur of understanding and agreement before everyone was allowed to either leave or talk amongst themselves while a buffet was served. 

At the back, picking at the shortness of her tight bubble-gum pink skirt, was Ashleigh who looked simultaneously uncomfortable and angry when she looked around. Some others looked at her, just as I had, and some, mostly the young un-mated males, looked at her hungrily and others, the older females especially, looked at her with pity and disgust. 

I gave Tomas a quick kiss on the cheek and walked through the crowd, towards Ashleigh and as I passed people they bowed slightly to me, murmuring the title 'Luna' at me as I went. I nodded back to them and just as I was getting close to Ashleigh, she turned to leave and so I gravved her by her upper arm, dragging her off to a quiet corner. She screeched in indignation and called for help over shoulder, but when people saw that the person who was dragging her away was me, they turned back to their conversations and ignored her.