Version 2 Chapter 6

Originally Posted: November 11th, 2013 

I still remember it... Soundlessly you slunk to the floor of the hall. How could this, how could things have happened this way? The two people that so many other humans had faith in, people that for the longest time you called your parents... The word parent alone implied so much trust, so much tender care and affection, and yet even since you were young you could never find yourself associating that word with them. Sure they took you in and sure they took care of you, but love didn't seem like an important aspect of the relationship you held with your so called parents. If you were going to be completely honest, they did the bare basics of taking care of you. The implied parts of parenthood, well you had a feeling that they tried. Really, as much as you faulted them they did try to have a connection with you whenever you were around. Maybe you guys would go to a high class restaurant, maybe you would just go for a walk together in the part. Though you looked absolutely nothing like the two parents by your side, you still could tell that they cared about you. But as you grew older the time they had for you diminished, and diminished. For no real reason in your opinion, but hey you were biased. It all started when they got busy, but either way- you didn't want to think that they would've so callously let everyone on Earth die that way.

Maybe it's a dream, maybe I'm just dreaming... But there was an undeniable part of logic to this misadventure. Something that wouldn't let you cast the idea away as fairytale. But... Then that doesn't explain how everyone knows me as the Richmond's daughter. They would have known about the heartless wouldn't they? And everyone makes it sound as if they had so much influence and power and reputation- they had to have known about all of it. That the Council had agreed it would be fine to end this place, no I'm being paranoid, aren't I? Aren't I?

You sunk to the floor, a headache throbbing at your skull, as if your brain suddenly decided to bash against the white bone.

(Name)!

(Name)!

Death and hopelessness are two of the first words that come to mind while Earth falls victim to these things... Steady hands gripped the balcony railings. Ten stories, a jump that would most definitely be able to kill any human. You opened your eyes for a split second, wondering, what if...? Closing your eyes again you could practically imagine it; the wind blowing through your hair as gravity pulled your body towards the ground, cement arms reaching out to grab you in a hug too tight, perhaps you would spring up like a ball one last time, or perhaps you would simply lay upon the floor in a sprawl of broken. With a click of your tongue you stepped away from the railing, covering your ears and trying not to listen to the screams- the symphonies of human suffering below. High high high, so far and distant from humanity like the Gods of Mount Olympus, why would trouble find you in a building that scraped the domain of the gods. With a trembling bottom lip your body collapsed, legs giving under you. A piercing echo shot through the city- a sound you didn't even know capable from your own lips. A bitter part of you took time to wonder how many people there actually were left to hear you scream like that.

"(Name)!"

Your jaw closed abruptly. Not that you'd been screaming the entirety of that time, but that single scream was enough to send security running. How efficient of them. Bottling up your frustration you turned to face them. You already knew who it'd be, there were only so many people left that you could chose from at this point.