Version 3 Chapter 2

Originally Published: March 28th, 2014 

It'd been a week or two since that day you spent in your parent's room. Nothing particularly exciting had happened, but now you were getting ready to spend another day outside of the house.

"Cook! I'm heading out!" You yelled as you were climbing down the grand staircase. You weren't actually sure where she was at in the house right now, but hey she couldn't say that you didn't give her some sort of heads up. Another servant would probably just pass your message on anyways- if not you'd just have to deal with Cook's worried phone calls.

"Oh! Dear! Hold on!" Cook flew like a bat out of hell out of one of the corridors. She nearly tripped over a rug and sent herself flying, but fortunately she didn't. Her clutziness was one of her endearing traits. "Are you sure it's safe walking around alone?"

"Cookie, I'm just going to meet up with Myde. I'm going to be fine. Besides I've held his jacket hostage way too long." You shrugged. "I'll be fine! Those old self defense lessons are still tucked away in the back of my memory somewhere."

"Oh... I still don't know," she fretted. "Oh! I have an idea, Raito, why don't you be a dear and join (Name) for the day!"

The white haired boy had just been walking through the same hallway that Cook flew out of, but he had been taking his sweet time instead. "I don't want to impose." Raito frowned. He was the newest butler in training, and he was only in his late teens.

"Nonsense! I'm sure (Name) and her friend won't mind!" Cook chirped happily. She turned her attention back to you, a small smile settling on her lips "Besides, things are getting dangerous (Name). Please give this old bird a little break, I know that you're capable of taking care of yourself, but it would be nice to know you have someone else with you."

"Raito, you don't mind?" You asked the boy.

"Of course not, Miss. Richmond." He bowed his head slightly to prove his point.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me. I guess I'm gonna have to break you in. That formality has to go." You shook your head. "Call me (Name)! Any more of this 'Miss. Richmond' business and I may just start ripping my hair out."

Cook giggled as she looked between the two of you. "I can see that you're going to be good friends already. Raito, take care of her while you two are out there ok?" Cook asked. She gave a soft smile towards the boy. Raito's calm and serious expression faltered, the corner of his lips and cheeks threatening to expose the small smile he was nearly sporting.

"I understand." He bowed to Cook as well and you resisted the urge to facepalm.

"I love that you respect her, but really! No need to be so formal, you don't see any of the other servants taking up that kind of formality now do you? The servants in this house are all like family to me and I would never have family bowing to me like that!" You checked your time on your phone. "Oh sh-" you caught yourself as Cook stared at you. "Snickerdoodles!" You were running out the rest of the house without another word. Cook and Raito didn't know how to react to your sudden departure.

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!" You were at the front door when you realized that Raito wasn't right behind you. Raito and Cook both made their way to the front lobby where you stopped.

"Should I change into more casual clothes first?" Raito asked, a small smile playing at his lips. "I wouldn't mind normally, but since you don't want me to be quite as formal..." He trailed off near the end, waiting for your response.

"AGH. Go go go!" You half shoved him up the stairs yourself.

When Raito reemerged you grabbed his arm and dragged him away, irritated by the calm and steady way that he walked- like he had all the time in the world. "Goodbye Cook!" You yelled, not sure where the grandmotherly woman had gone.