Chapter 1

V e r o n i k a ' s      P o i n t     o f      V i e w

The cold air presses against my skin as I glide across the ice, my mind feeling completely free for the first time in a while. Ever since I found out what he did, it's like something was holding me back, prohibiting myself from being what I used to be. But I didn't have to worry about that now. Skating was the one thing that let me escape my problems.

I was currently at the final round that would qualify me to compete in the Olympics for figure skating. There was one more available spot open, and I knew that if I did my routine as usual then it would be mine for sure.

I lift my leg and began rapidly turning, hearing an applause from the crowd as I do so. A small smile forms itself onto my face and I pick up the speed, feeling the momentum.

A couple of more tricks that I can do with ease are done, and I'm about ready for one of my final moves: a quadruple axel. It's a hard skill and I've only just recently mastered it, so of course I'm nervous, but I'm also excited because I know I can land it.

My feet begin gliding towards the center of the rink as I begin the move. Only, I'm distracted by a face in the crowd that I happened to catch a glimpse of out of the corner of my eye. Of course it's him.

My mind suddenly goes back to remembering what he did, but unfortunately my body is already spinning for the quadruple axel. I try my best to regain control, but it's too late. My right foot lands on the ice first, and a loud crack sound is heard. After that the rest of my body falls with a bang and I know it's over for me as I stare up at the ceiling of the arena, ignoring the gasps coming from the audience and most importantly hating him for showing up here, ruining my life once again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

ONE MONTH LATER

I groaned as I stared out of the window, looking at the empty countryside ahead. ''Did we really have to move to Michigan, dad?''

My dad chuckled from the driver's seat while keeping his eyes on the road. ''Yes, we really did. Liz has work here, and besides -- you wanted to leave Russia, remember?''

My eyes rolled automatically and I turned to look at him. ''It's more like I was exiled from Russia. But either way, even if I had wanted to move, I wouldn't have chosen Michigan of all places. Why can't we all go to like, Arizona or something? Somewhere where it's hot for a change.''

Dad chuckled again and shook his head. ''You're going to love this place, kiddo.''

I glared, ''I will not. I don't even know anyone, I'm going to be a total outcast.''

''That's not true, you know Liz and Luke. Luke's only a year younger than you, I'm sure he has plenty of friends he can introduce you to.'' My dad responded easily.