Chapter 20

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

I never imagined I'd spend my senior year of high school in America, playing hockey, pretending to be a guy from the hours of two to five on weekdays.

Hockey practice was officially a current thing in my life now, and it was both pleasant and dreadful. Getting to skate around with great teammates and learn more about how to manage a puck was fun, but keeping up Ben's persona and being surrounded by guys constantly wasn't so thrilling, contrary to popular belief. They had a different sense of humor than girls and had way different hygiene habits.

Coming up with excuses as to why I couldn't hang out with Celia was difficult too. I wanted to tell her about me playing hockey, but I also wanted it to stay a secret. Skating as hockey player Ben and not as figure skater Veronika gave me a new identity; one I wanted to keep hidden from my old life.

Being Ben made it so there wasn't as much pressure, which was a really great thing since too much pressure is practically what drove me off the ice in the first place. No one specifically was counting on Veronika, they were counting on Ben. Well, maybe besides Harry. He definitely was counting on me, but for some reason that seemed to only make me play better in a comfortable, non-stressed out way.

Things between us were finally better again, and I was really excited about that - as was Celia. She went back to liking me and Harry together, but I constantly had to reassure her we were just friends. I liked Harry as a friend and nothing more.

"It's five fifteen, can we please leave now?" A player complained to Luke who had taken over since the coach left half an hour ago.

Luke's head whipped towards the clock, "Shit. I didn't even realize. Yeah, let's call it a day guys."

The team cheered in exhaustion and we slowly began making our way off the ice. I was excited to finally get home and relax.  Maybe I can take a nice bubble bath and read a book, I thought to myself with a smile.

"Hold up, Higgins." a deep voice stated, blocking me from leaving the ice.

I almost didn't stop but then I realized Higgins was Ben's last name and I was still Ben at the moment.

My eyes focused on the tall player that stood before me; I think his name was Vince or something.

"Y-yeah?" I stuttered out in my best impression of Ben's voice, which was still pretty rough but I had to wing it.

"You've been playing pretty great recently." Vince stated with an impressed look on his face as he took off his helmet and ran a hand through his long, tangled hair.

I tilted my head slightly away from him so that he couldn't get a good look at my face. "Um..thanks? Guess practice really does pay off. Nice talking to you, bye-" I stated quickly before starting to move away from him.

"Wait!" he called, reaching a hand out to stop me.

I coughed and awkwardly spun around to face him again. "Yeah?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to catch a bite to eat?" he questioned in an innocent tone that sounded odd coming out of such a big dude. He was staring at "Ben" with such a hopeful look which got me thinking. Did he like Ben as more than a friend?

Vince looked so sincere that I felt bad having to turn him down. I'd have to get the real Ben to go out with him a different time since for obvious reasons I couldn't say yes now. "Sorry, I've got to..." I paused, running through my mind looking for a believable excuse.

"Practice some more with me." Harry's familiar voice stated as he skated over to us.

Vince laughed, "Are you serious? Ben's worked the hardest all week, why does he need more practice?"