Chapter 37

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

"And North Valley scores another goal! It looks like they have a pretty good shot at going to the championship game at this rate!" The student announcers spoke as Luke scored another goal.

We were playing a fairly difficult team, so I was told, so the fact that we were winning now was amazing. 

The rematch game against Zac's team ended up getting cancelled due to a "scheduling issue" so it was an automatic forfeit given to us since the whole incident was at our rink.

Because of that, it was important that we won this game so that we could play Zac's team in the championships.

Which didn't seem like it'd be a problem, seeing as Aiden just scored us another goal.

"Another goal made just in time for the end of the second period! What a great game." The announcer spoke as we began heading off the ice and to the locker rooms.

"This is such a great game. Enjoy winning now because you won't at the final game." A voice stated from behind us before we could make it to the locker room.

We all turned around and gave Zac an annoyed look. I still had my helmet on to protect my disguise, so he probably couldn't even see my angered look but I was still giving it anyway because I was just that annoyed.

"Are you stalking us?" Harry questioned, crossing his arms. "I'm serious, you show up on us at the cafe and now here? Don't you have anything better to do? Maybe like training for the finals so you don't have to resolve to cheating a win?"

"Ohhhhhhh!" Luke shouted. "This time you're going to want the fire alarm to go off for real because burn!!"

Our attention then shifted to Luke and he held his hands out in defense. "Come on, that was a good one."

"Mmm, no. No.." I replied, giving him a comforting pat on the shoulder.

Zac narrowed his eyes, ignoring Luke. "Who's the "us", Styles?"

Harry looked at Zac with a confused and uninterested expression. "Huh?"

Zac tilted his head, "You accused me of stalking "us". Who's the "us" that you're talking about? You and...?"

Harry narrowed his eyes and answered Zac swiftly. "My teammates."

"But -" Zac began before stopping as I let out a really loud and dramatic sneeze that distracted him.

He looked me over and I thought I almost saw a smirk appear on his face, but it soon disappeared when Harry said, "See you at the finals," and began walking away.

The team, including myself, quickly followed behind him to the locker rooms, not wanting to converse with Zac anymore.

_____________________________________________

"I can't believe we won! We're going to the championship game!!" Luke cheered as we exited the rink.

"And to think we sucked at the beginning of the season!" Harry replied in an enthusiastic tone.

Some of the teammates let out a, "Hey!", but others laughed it off because we really did improve since the beginning.

"Thanks for playing your best guys and for working hard all season. We just have one more game and then we've officially achieved the impossible. I say we celebrate! Party at my house?" Harry stated, looking at us all with admiration.

The team began cheering at the mention of a party, but it quickly died down when I noticed Ben lying against the wall, all beaten up.

"Oh my gosh! Ben!" I shouted, running over to him.

He was speechless as we all began bombarding him with questions and helped him up.

"Guys, stop!" Aiden roared, quieting us all down. "Who did this, B?" He asked, gently running his hand across one of the marks on Ben's cheek.

Ben stared at Aiden for a moment before looking to all of us. "Zac and some of his teammates. They somehow found me when I was going to get a hot dog and managed to drag me out here where they threatened to beat me up unless I told them who was really playing as me. I tried not to cave in, but then they kept punching me and I'm weak so I had to tell. I'm really sorry, Ronnie."

I shook my head, "Don't you apologize, ever. All I care about is that you're alright. I'm the one that's sorry for putting you in this position. Zac is insane and deserves to get a taste of his own medicine. Someone get me a bat."

Ben lightly laughed. "No, Rons. No bats, just crush him at the championships. It'll be better to hurt his ego than to hurt him."

I clenched my fists and nodded, biting my lip to contain my anger. I could not believe Zac would continue to go this low all for hockey.

"You know what's weird about this whole thing though is that it's almost like he already knew you were playing as me? He just wanted me to say it." Ben stated with curiosity.

Harry sighed, "I'm sorry, Ben. We will make him pay for this on the ice, I promise."

____________________________________________

sorry this chapter was a bit shorter! tbh i think the next few are gonna be on the shorter side before the big chapter that's coming soooon. also, i'm really not sure how hockey finals work...but i'm winging it so sorry if i'm wrong ?

fun fact: in the trailer for this story that i made like a year ago there's a part where zac hits ben ! so this has been planned for over a year 😬 alsooo idk if u guys remember the trailer, but there's someone in it that has yet to show up yet ;) ;)

as always, thank u very much for the votes/comments and for just reading my story in general! we're now #591 in teen fiction which is cool !! only a couple hundred to go 😂

Questions

1. Have you had enough with Zac?

2. Do you like Luke's sense of humor? He's lowkey based off of Seth from the oc

3. What do you think is going to go down at the championship game???

also as a side note..does "undefined" keep showing up all over the chapters for u guys? it does for me but then it'll disappear like 2 days later and idk what's going on