Chapter 45

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

I quickly turned around, nearly hitting a tree in the process because I was in such a rush to get to Harry before he got to Brett. 

My foot was glued to the gas pedal and I kept honking the horn, trying to get Harry's attention. However, he was speeding as well so he was still way ahead of me.

It was just my luck that I escaped Brett and now had to go back to him all over again.

By the time I reached the lake, I noticed Harry's car parked in the middle of the road. The car was still running, the door hanging wide open. 

I put Brett's car in park to the side of the road and stuffed the keys in my pocket. My heart was racing as I jumped out and began running to find Harry.

The sun was really shining by now, to the point where it was almost blinding. I could hardly see from the glare of rays bouncing off the frozen ice.

"Harry?" I called, trying to shield my eyes.

"Ronnie?!" I heard his pleasant voice shout back in confusion. "Where are you?"

I looked across the frozen lake and couldn't see him anywhere. "I'm by the edge of the lake! Where are you?!"

His face finally appeared from behind a tree. "I was looking in the woods!"

He was still pretty far away, but I could see the smile on his face as he noticed me. "Are you alright?!" He called as he began making his way over to me.

I grinned, "I'm great! Let's get out of here before Brett comes b-"

"Watch behind you!" Harry shouted as I felt myself get picked up. A large hand went over my mouth, prohibiting me from speaking.

Brett was chuckling as he held me in his arms. "You almost had me fooled, Veronika."

I glared and began thrashing around. I wanted to shout at him, but I couldn't.

Harry ran even faster and was in front of us within seconds. "Let her go." He stated, using a deep tone. His eyes grew dark and his fists were beginning to roll up in anger.

Brett chuckled once again. "It is funny how you got away Veronika and came back to save this little guy. Now you are both going to need saving."

"I got away from you twice, I can do it again." I stated, but it only came out in incoherent mumbles because his hand was still covering my mouth.

"I'm not going to ask again." Harry remarked, glaring at Brett.

Brett smirked, "You think you can take me?"

Harry cracked his knuckles. "I know I can."

Brett shifted me in his arms so that I was staring at his face now. He looked into my eyes and smiled. "Malyshka..you think that's true?"

I glared. Brett really was a big guy, and compared to Harry I wasn't sure who could actually win a fight. Harry got kind of dumb when it came to fighting. The only way to beat Brett was to out-smart him.

Brett chuckled again. "Even your girl doesn't think you can take me."

Harry took a step closer, his fists nearly shaking with rage. Then, without warning, he lunged forward even more and threw a punch at Brett's eye.

Brett jumped a little at the force of the punch and because he wasn't expecting it. I shook in his arms and nearly fell onto the ice.

He groaned and grabbed my wrist, dangling it in Harry's face. "Do that again and I'll snap it. Just like a twig."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "Leave Ronnie out of this. This is between you and me now."

Brett smiled. "No, no it's not. It's always been about Veronika. Always."

I nodded. He was right. It was always about me. 

I messed up my figure skating career. I caused numerous fights between Harry and Aiden. I was the reason the hockey finals weren't happening right now like they were supposed to be. Drama followed me like a shadow.

However, through all my mistakes and the chaos, I did find myself; I was no longer lost. I found my passion again. I found genuine friendship. I learned what it was really like to have a family. I learned what it was really like to love others and to love myself.

This whole thing started with me and skating, and it was going to end with me and skating.

With all of my force, I jumped up as high as I could, like I would for a jump I'd be scored on.

I flew up, going higher than Brett's height.

His eyebrows furrowed into confusion and his eyes began to grow wide as I went out of his reach. My goal wasn't to do that, though. I had a bigger plan.

When I came back down, I made sure to land on Brett's foot.

"Blyad!!!" Brett yelled, cursing loudly in Russian.

The ice skates I still had been wearing cut into his foot and he jumped away from me in pain.

"Run!" I shouted to Harry, taking off towards his car.

He stared at me in bewilderment for a moment before nodding and taking off as well. "I love you Ronnie Ramirez!" He shouted.

I grinned and kept moving. "I love you too."

As we were running, I noticed police sirens drawing close.

Brett wasn't going to get away. Not this time. I thought triumphantly to myself.

It was finally over.

___________________________________________

just 2 chapters left!! ahhhh!!! i promise this will be done by saturday!!

as always, thank you so so sooooo much for the support for this story! you guys are a huge part of why i love writing so much <3

Questions

1. Do you like how Ronnie saved the day twice?

2. Are you happy with how the story is closing up?

3. Any guesses for what's gonna go down in the next chapter?

4. This isn't really story related, but I'm thinking about posting an interactive Q&A kind of thing at the end of this story. Like you guys could ask questions & I'll ask some questions too & we all answer them together in the comments lol. Like for example "what's your favorite book?" or "what's your go-to karaoke song?" or even things related to the story like "what moment pissed you off the most?" Idk i just thought it could be fun???? Let me know if you guys would be interested !!!