Chapter 44

V e r  o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f      V i e w

"What do you want from me?" I questioned as we pulled up to a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere. The sun was just beginning to rise and it felt warm against my skin through the window.

Brett didn't answer, and instead just got out of the car and grabbed something in his trunk. Probably a shovel, my twisted mind predicted. He'd tried breaking my legs before, what was next? A broken skull?

A few seconds later he came around and unlocked my door. "Get out." He demanded.

I sat for a moment, trying to think of an exit plan.

"Out!" He shouted, causing me to jump.

Okay so no exit plan for right now.

My feet steadied on the ground and I looked up at Brett. "Now what? You give me five seconds to run?"

He looked down at me and I saw a small smile creep its way onto his face. He almost looked like the person I once looked up to.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Veronika." He stated, my name bouncing off his lips in his thick accent.

I narrowed my eyes, "Then why did you take me here? Surely your plan was to kill me and bury me under the ice?"

He handed me the box that was in his hands. "Put these on."

My palms gently received the box. I slowly opened it, not really knowing what to expect inside. 

"Skates?" I asked once I finally saw what it was.

He nodded. "Lace them up. I want you to skate for me."

I shot him a confused look. "Why the hell do you want me to skate for you?"

He didn't respond. He just stared ahead, waiting for me to put the skates on.

A loud groan escaped my lips and I huffed. "Fine."

The skates felt familiar yet unfamiliar on my skin at the same time. I hadn't worn figure skates in quite a few months, but I did sort of miss the feeling of them.

"They're on, now what?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Do a triple axel." He stated easily.

I stared at him as if he had two heads. "Huh?"

"Do it."

"Is this some sort of joke?"

He stared at me with his grey eyes. "Does it look like I'm joking?"

I shrugged. "You always have the same emotionless face, I don't know."

He glared and I held my hands up. "Fine, I'll do the jump. No promises I'll actually land it perfectly though." He was always sensitive when it came to perfection.

Once again there was no response from him. He just waited.

I sighed and skated slightly away from him to give myself room for the jump and to get a feel for the skates.

After a few minutes of staring ahead, I finally just went for the jump. My feet glided against the ice in a smoother way, feeling different from the rough hockey skates I'd been using lately. I tucked my arms in tightly and jumped as high as I could, twirling my body around. I came back onto the ice in a neat form and turned to Brett to see if I was done now and could leave. Though, I knew that was highly unlikely.

"You were my best skater, Veronika. I know it may not seem like it, but I loved you. I only wanted what was best for you." He stated, looking proud.

"You tried to kill me." I interrupted, holding a finger up.

He shook his head. "I tried to harm you once, yes. But I'd never kill you. I always imagined you'd be my skater once again and we'd win a gold medal at the olympics."

I blinked. "What kind of skater would I be with two broken legs if your plan actually worked out?"

A smirk made its way onto his face. "An unbeatable one."

"You're crazy, I wouldn't be able to skate ever again if that had happened. And stop smirking, it's weird."

He grinned, "You did end up breaking a leg though, no?"

"Of sorts. Ironic, huh? You try breaking my legs and fail, then I see you in the crowds and go and hurt one anyway all by myself."

He stared at me, "And you're a better skater now, no?"

I paused and looked at him. "No. Maybe. I don't know. Even if I were, that had nothing to do with you. I'm better because of my hockey team."

He smirked once again. "Only because I instilled in you the power to keep trying even when you fail. Veronika, you were a great skater before, but now that you actually believe in yourself you are even better. Gold medal worthy. Come back to Russia, let me be your coach again and we can take over the figure skating world together."

"Are you...are you serious?" I asked.

"Of course."

I nodded. "Mhm. Ok...wow, let me think about it." I then skated closer to him and put a hand over his. "You promise to never hurt me again?"

He looked at my hand and smiled. "Veronika, I promise."

 "And you promise to let me eat whatever I want, no matter how many calories I intake?"

He bit his lip, "Yes, yes. Sure."

I kept quiet and stared at him.

"So does that mean yes?" He asked, looking hopeful.

I bit my lip, clenching my free hand tight around the keys I had just snuck out of his pocket. "No, no. I'm sorry Brett Dawson, but I'm never skating for you ever again. I only skate for myself and my team now."

With that, I took off down the ice. I moved way more faster than Brett due to the skates and was at his car in seconds.

I quickly threw the keys in the ignition and began backing out. It was hard to drive considering I had blades as shoes, but you know.. a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

My heart was going out to Harry and my father at the moment for teaching me how to drive because I wouldn't of even been able to turn the car on without their lessons. And now here I was speeding down the road, not taking one look behind me. 

However, when I saw a familiar car speed by on the opposite side of the road, I had to do a double take.

"Harry." I muttered under my breath in a panicked tone.

______________________________________________________

dun dun dun

only 1 or 2 chapters left!! i have a lot of exams at school next week, but i'm gonna try to have this story finished within the next two weeks latest! then right away i'm diving into celia's story bc i already have a few chapters written out!!

thank you for reading/commenting/voting!

Questions

1. Were you expecting that from Brett?

2. Were you expecting that from Ronnie lmao

3. This story isn't over yet, but overall what are/were your opinions on it? Did you find it too cliche ? Too rushed? Was there anything you wish you saw more of? Were some characters and their actions unrealistic? I just want an idea of what my writing is like so i can make other future stories even better ! (plus i'm most likely going to edit this story at some point bc i know some parts are a hot mess)