Chapter 28

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i  e w

A few days later it was time for our next game.

We were currently in the middle of it, and we were losing by two to zero. It was a fairly easy team to beat I've been told, but for some reason we just weren't playing well. Especially me. I wasn't playing well at all.

My head's been in a whirlwind lately, trying to figure out the whole Harry and Aiden situation. I still wasn't sure who to believe, and I didn't even want to know because both outcomes were bad. If I believed Aiden, then that meant Harry did beat him up, so how could I be friends with him? And if I believed Harry then that meant Aiden was a huge liar, and what kind of friend would that be?

The buzzer for the second period ended and we went to the locker room for the small break.

"Hey, man. Can I talk to you for a second?" A voice stated as I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned around and came face to face with Aiden. Coughing, I tried to avoid eye contact with him and deepened my voice. "Uh..now's not really a good time." I didn't want to hear whatever he had to say to Ben because I felt like I was invading Ben's privacy whenever I did that. 

I'd tell him to talk to me after the game, so that the real Ben could actually partake in the conversation meant for him.

I motioned to move around Aiden so that I could make a quick run for it after telling him to talk to me later, but his hand reached out and stopped me. He gently pulled me aside and looked at me with a sincere expression. What was going on?

"I'm sorry."

I blinked and kept my head down so that he couldn't realize he wasn't really talking to Ben. I didn't answer because I didn't know what he was apologizing for or how Ben would react.

"I don't remember much from the other night, and I know we've been avoiding talking about it..but you're playing so rough tonight...I feel like I'm the reason your game is so off." He stated. He then continued before I could even respond in any way. "Look, I know it's weird..but I don't regret kissing you."

Kissing?

Ben?

Aiden and Ben kissed?

My face remained motionless as I tried to hide the shock in my eyes.

"Please say something." Aiden begged, pleading at me, or.. well pleading at 'Ben.'

I blinked. "I need some water."

My mind couldn't process the information as I quickly walked away. My ex sort of boyfriend kissed one of my best friends. As confusing as it all was, what confused me even more was that I wasn't even mad. I was more shocked than anything, and just further perplexed by the whole situation.

Before I knew it the buzzer was ringing again and I was back on the ice.

If I was playing bad before, then how I was playing now must have been catastrophic. My mind could not focus on anything. I was like a ghost just hovering around the ice, not really present.

"Watch out!" I heard Harry's voice shout at me as I skater came towards me. I blinked and tried to focus on the large figure so that I could steer clear of his path.

I started skating away, but I was too slow to react and they ended up slamming me into the wall. When I fell down after that, they fell onto me as well and I felt a huge pain shoot from the ankle I had broken a few months ago.

"Shit." I mumbled, throwing the player off of me. "Why'd you have to be so aggressive?!" I shouted to him, seeing as he practically tackled me. My shoulder was just starting to feel better again and now I had another injury yet again.

Life was great.

"Chill, it's hockey, that's what happens." The guy said, looking slightly scared.

I glared as I tried to stand up. "That was so unnecessary though. How would you feel if I just slammed you into a wall and then fell on top of you?!"

He looked at my size and then started laughing a bit. "I don't think you could do that."

My fists automatically went up and I reached for him but then I felt someone's arms wrapping around me, pulling me back.

 "Calm down, Rons." Harry muttered near my face so that only I would hear.

The ref was over within seconds, analyzing the situation.

He gave a yellow card to the idiot that pushed me into the wall because it was his second offense of the night, then to my surprise I got my first ever green card. It was just a first warning card, but still..I'd never gotten one before.

"Are you alright to skate?" The ref asked.

I tried putting weight on my ankle alone and felt myself wobble.

"Guess that answers that." The ref remarked, waving my coach over to help get me off the ice.

I glumly was escorted off the ice for the second time within the span of nearly three weeks.

"You alright?"

I shrugged, "Probably sprained my ankle."

He shook his head, "Higgins, you're a walking disaster lately." Coach joked, giving me a pat on the shoulder.

"Tell me about it."

_________________________________________

sorry this chapter was so short, i just felt like it was a good place to end before getting into even more drama :))

this chapter's dedicated to fxcking_hurricane because you were spot on with your guess last chapter! also shout out to Harlena4eva, because you were super close with your guess too!!

Questions

1. Are you shocked by what happened between Aiden and Ben?

2. Do you think Aiden is hiding anything else?

3. Do you think Ronnie was acting weird in this chapter? Was her reaction to finding out what happened between Aiden and Ben what you expected? Or did you want her to get angry/upset ?