Chapter 34

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

Cold air brushed past my face as I eagerly jumped out of the car once it came to a stop in the long, rocky driveway. We had been driving for what felt like hours, but in reality was only about one hour. Since hockey practice was cancelled for the weekend, Luke and I decided it would be fun to visit his family's cabin in the woods.

"This is so nice! Isn't this place so cute?" I asked in an excited tone as I held the car door open for Harry who also accompanied us on this trip, as well as Celia who was in the front with Luke.

Harry watched me with an amused smile as he hopped out of the car. "Yes, it's very....cute?"

"I brought hot chocolate, marshmallows, skates, board games, movies, and even got your Gran to sneak me a few treats from her cafe. This is going to be such a fun weekend!" I squealed.

"Is she okay?" Celia asked, scanning me over quickly with both an amused and confused look as she got out of the car.

"I'm great!" I retorted with a large smile.

"You didn't happen to sneak any brownies from Harry's Gran's cafe, did you?" Luke asked in a teasing tone.

Harry crossed his arms, "My Gran doesn't make pot brownies, if that's what you're implying."

Luke narrowed his eyes which caused Harry to throw his hands up in defense. "It was only one time! And it's not like she sold them to anyone, she just gave them to us."

I laughed. "Wait, your Gran actually gave you -"

Harry cut me off. "That's a story for another day. Anyway, is there any reason you're in such a good mood?"

"Just happy." I responded with a contented sigh. I thought this trip was a much needed one so I couldn't help feeling bubbly and excited. Plus, maybe there was something else going on. 

"Aren't you happy?" I asked him a few seconds later, a smile plastered on my face.

Harry looked at me for a few seconds and then smiled himself. "If you're happy, then I am too."

________________________________

Unsurprisingly, the first thing Harry and I decided to do was skate around the huge frozen lake. We were out there for hours having the time of our lives. From having a one on one mini game of hockey, to racing to see who really was the fastest, to teaching him how to do spirals and toe jumps, and even choreographing our own figure skating routine..we were having a blast.

The only thing that got us back inside was Celia calling out that her and Luke made dinner. 

"Spaghetti? You guys call this a gourmet meal?" Harry questioned as we took a seat at the large dining table. The cabin was super cozy with candles all around that fit the scene perfectly.

Celia and I shot Luke a worried look but stopped when Harry started laughing while twirling the pasta around his fork. "Nah, I'm just messing with you. Spaghetti is the best."

I sighed in relief and began digging into the spaghetti myself.

It didn't take long for us to finish dinner and move on to a game of cards.

"You mean to tell me you've never played Go Fish before?" Harry asked as he shuffled through a deck.

I shrugged. "There's lots of typical things I've never done before."

Luke spoke with his mouth full as he munched on a brownie, "Like what?"

"I don't know, there's so many things.." I stated.