Chapter 3

By the time I get back to the lodging house, it's already dark. I'm back past dark, beaten up because I went to a place I wasn't suppose to. Great, Jack is going to kill me.

I slowly creak open the door to the lodging house. After checking to see if anyone was downstairs, I tried to make a beeline up the stairs.

"Where have you been," I hear Jack ask from behind me.

Busted. "Uhh, just out exploring like I told you I was," I say, my back still turned towards him.

"It's after dark, Liv. You know the rules."

"Sorry. I got a bit lost."

"Liv, turn around," Jack says sternly.

"I was actually about to go to bed so-"

"Liv," Jack interrupts. "Turn around."

I close my eyes before turning around to face him. He immediately runs up to look at my black eye and bruises. "Who did this to you?"

"It's fine Jack. I just got in a little mixup over in Harlem and-"

"Harlem?! You went to Harlem?!" Jack yells.

"Um...yes?"

I can see the anger growing in his face. "You know you're not allowed to go there."

"I kind of wandered into it when I was exploring."

"You know that Harlem doesn't like us! You know this Liv!"

"I know! I'm fine! I don't mean to go there. I won't do it again."

I rubs his forehead. "Who did this?"

"Do I have to name names or-"

"Who did this Liv?!" he yells.

"Oscar and Morris," I mumble.

His eyes narrow. "I'm going to kill them," he says before heading to the door.

"No Jack!" I yell as I run in front of him. "Don't. They did this to me to get to you. If you go after them it's just giving them what they want."

"They need to learn not to mess with my little sister."

"I'm fine! I handled it! I got away! What is there to prove?"

"I need them to know that if they so much as look at you, they're dead."

I raise my eyebrow. "We see them everyday and they supply out papes. We have to look at each other."

"You don't understand do you Liv. Those brothers are dangerous. I'm not going to let them get away with touching you."

"I'm not a little kid, Jack! I can handle myself!"

"I can't let them hurt you like they hurt Riki!"

I freeze and look down. Nobody says Riki's name anymore. "J-Jack. That won't happen," I almost whisper.

"How do you know?" he mumbles. "How do you know they won't do it again?"

Riki was Jacks girlfriend years ago. She was probably the sweetest, kindest, most loving human I'd ever met. She was like a sister to me, and she meant more to Jack than anything. She was the love of his life. Sadly, the Delanceys found out about it. Wanting to get back at Jack, they beat up Riki. They knocked her out and she never woke up. Jack has never been the same and has kept me on a tighter leash ever sense.

"Because Jack...I'm not Riki..."

"Your right," he says. "You more important to me. That makes you an even bigger target."

"Jack they won't-"

"Liv," he interrupts. "I can't risk loosing you as well."

"Jack I'm fine you won't-"

"I want you and Race to sell together tomorrow. That way he can look out for you."

"What?!" I yell. Sure, Race was my best friend, but selling was the only time I was able to be alone.

"You are Race are friends. Anyways, you need someone to look after you."

"Jack, I'm not a little kid anymore! I don't need you to protect me!"

"I'm not loosing the only family I have left!" he yells.

I stop yelling. Jack was right, we only had each other left. I can't blame him for being protective of that. "Jack...I-I'm sorry."

He sighs and hugs me. "We lost mom and dad already, you can't be added to that grouping. I can't loose you, Liv."

I hug him back. "I'll sell with Race tomorrow, I promise. After I'll come straight here. I won't go anywhere you don't want me too."

I can feel his arms tighten around me. "It's just you and me, Liv. You and me against the rest of the world."

"Yeah. Just you and me, no one else."

"You and me in Santa Fe together," he pulls away from the hug and smiles. "We've almost saved up enough money. Just a few more dollars."

I smile. "Then we can live the life we've always dreamed of."

"Yep. Just like the stories mom told us." He smiles and hugs me again. "I love you Liv. I don't know what I would do without you."

I hug him back. "I love you too Jack."

"For sure?"

"For sure."