Chapter 23

"Morris," Oscar says, stepping in front of me. "Before you do anything, let me explain."

"There's no need. I heard it all." Morris storms up to Oscar and slaps him upside the head. "What were you thinking?! You're dating a street rat! And you're going to stay with her to raise some kid?!"

Oscar glances at me before looking back at Morris. He sighs, bowing his head. "I lied."

"Oscar," I say, grabbing his hand. "What are you talking about? Y-you said you wanted to help."

Oscar shakes his head. "It was a joke." He pulls his hand away from me and turns to face me. "You think I would really want to help you with some kid?! Please! How do I know it's even mine?!"

"O-Oscar what are you talking about? You said yourself-"

"It was a joke, Liv! Ever heard of one! I have my whole life ahead of me! I'm not about to waist it with a kid! You are nothing but a one night fling!"

"A 'one night fling'?! Is that all I am?!" I yell, slapping him across the face. "Well I shouldn't be surprised! Everyone always told me you Delanceys were womanizers!" I sigh. "I guess I thought it was possible that you changed. But I was wrong. You're just as evil as your brother." I put a hand on my stomach. "Forget about the baby, I'll raise it on my own."

Sadness flashes across Oscars face as he opens his mouth, as if he is about to apologize. But, he glances at Morris, and his face turns stern once more. "Well then, get out!"

I shake my head as I start to back towards the door. "I'm sorry I ever trusted you. What was I thinking? Delanceys can't be anything but evil." I run out of the room before they can see me cry.

"Good job, Oscar," I hear Morris say. "You did the right thing. She's nothing more than a street rat."

I run back to the lodging house, tears stinging my eyes as I burst through the door.

"You are back sooner than I thought," Jack says. "Hey, are you ok?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure? You look-"

"I said I'm fine!" I bark. "I'm going up to the roof. I...have a lot on my mind." I climb up the roof as fast as I can. Once I get up, I crawl to the corner and roll myself into a ball. "Jack was right...those two are just plain evil."

"I-I'm not going to lie, when I say you run past me...I thought I was imagining things."

I look up at the voice. "Oh...hi Race. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I-I ran into a problem."

"I can tell," he says, sitting down next to me and putting his arm around my shoulder. "What happened to your neck?"

"Oh, my dad kidnaped me and decided to keep me as his personal maid and he got a bit...violent at times."

"So, your dad took you." He shakes his head. "I hate that man."

"Yeah...me to."

"How did you escape?"

"I didn't...he let me go."

"Let you go? Why?"

I sigh and look at the ground, tears stoning my eyes. "I'm pregnant."

Race let's out a deep sigh. "Oscars the father isn't he?"

"W-well...yes and no. When I told him, he said he wanted to help. But, then Morris caught us." I feel a tear roll down my cheek. "Then he told me I was just a one night fling."

"Oh Liv," Race coos, wrapping me in a hug.

I hug him back, crying into his shoulder. "I told him I would raise the baby by myself."

"Oh Liv, does Jack know about...you know...your situation."

"No. Not yet."

"Liv, I know you want to keep this secret, but maybe now is the time to tell him."

"No!" I yell, standing up. "I'm not telling Jack!"

"Liv, maybe he can help you. He will understand."

"Not if he knows who the father is! I can do this on my own!"

"Oh Liv," Race says, standing up. "You and I both know you'll need help. Not to mention, you won't be able to keep this secret forever."

"W-well then I'll tell him I'm a few months!"

"In a few months it will be so noticeable that he will figure it out on his own." Race sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "You really don't want to tell Jack?"

"No, not yet."

"Fine...I'll help you. I can sell a few extra papes to get you some extra money to start saving."

"Race, I can't ask you to do that."

"Good thing you didn't ask. Look," he says, grabbing my hand. "You won't let Oscar help and you won't tell your brother, that leaves you with me."

"This is my battle, not yours."

"Well, now it's our battle."

I smile a bit, wrapping Race in a hug. "You would do that for me?"

"Of corse I would," he replies, hugging me back. "You're my family. I have to look out for you."

(AN: I would like to take this time to say Race would be literally the best, best friend if all time. Also, I promise Oscar's weird behavior will all be explained. Trust me, I have a method to my madness 💖theatergirlmgm)