Chapter 10

"Wake up Liv!" Jack yells, jumping down next to my bed.

I groan and pull my pillow over my head. I wasn't able to sleep last night. How could I sleep after the most amazing, and only, date I've ever had. "Go away," I mumble.

"I don't get why you are acting more tired then me. YOU were here, asleep, while I had to deal with Harlem. I should be the one complaining."

"Well, your not. So go away."

"Ok, well, you asked for this." Jack grabs the end of my blanket and yanks it off me.

"Jack!!" I yell, curling into a ball.

"Will you get up now?"

"No."

"You sure about that?" He smirks, grabbing my feet and pulling me out of my bed and onto the hard floor. "What about now?"

I glare at him as I stand up. "Fine."

"Thank you," he yawns.

"How late were you out?"

"It doesn't matter, I did what needed to be done."

"Well...what did you do?"

"It doesn't matter, Liv. I took care of it. Now get ready. We leave in ten minutes."
------------------------
"Extra! Extra! Jewels found in the mayors house! What is he hiding from you?!" I yell as I walk around Central Park. It's been a great day. Papes are selling fast and Jack hardly yelled at Oscar or Morris this morning. Still, I feel as if I'm being watched. As if I'm being followed.

"I'll take one," a man grumbles, holding out a penny.

"Here you go sir," I say, handing him his paper and getting nothing but a grunt in return.

"So, your the famous Liv Kelly we've heard about," a voice says from behind me.

I turn face to face with two boys I've never seen. They were both at least a head taller than me and I could tell they weren't to be messed with. "What if I am?"

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Check and this here is my brother Chess."

"Great to meet you. Can I leave?"

They laugh. "Not quite yet doll. We have a bone to pick with your brother."

"He seems to be making stuff up about Harlem," Chess adds.

Shoot. "Look, fellas, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not Jack."

"We know. But, we have sources that say it's easier to get to you."

I took my eyes. "What source?"

"Scar," they both reply.

"Figures," I mumble.

"Grab her!" Suddenly, Chess grabs my arms and pulls them behind me.

I start to struggle. "Let me go!"

"Oh shut up," Check says, slapping me across the face. "Be a good little girl and this will go a lot smoother."

"I'm not little!"

Check smirks and I see him reach into his pocket and pull out brass knuckles. "Scared yet?"

"N-no."

I hear a laugh from behind me. "Lies."

"Shut up!" I yell

"Listen, doll, you can avoid all of this. You just need to corporate."

"Like letting you soak me. No way."

Check smirks and plays with the brass knuckles in his hand. "Suit yourself."

I try to struggle. "Let me g-"

Suddenly, Check's hand covers my mouth and hits me across the face.

I wince and continue to try to fight back, but it's no use.

"Tell your brother not to mess with Harlem." He punches me once more before my vision fades out.

(AN: Hey guys! I want to apologize for the shortness of this chapter. I was having writers block but, because I update ever three days, I didn't want to wait until tomorrow. I'm so sorry if this chapter is bad but the next one will be better. 💖theatergirlmgm 🦄)