Chapter 24

"Liv? Liv wake up."

I creak open my eyes. "Jack? Why aren't you yelling like you usually do?"

"It's early and the others still aren't up. But, I wanted to talk to you without any of them interrupting." He holds out his hand. "Let's go to the roof."

I yawn before taking his hand, following him to the roof. The sun has barely risen over the horizon. "You know," I say looking over the city. "It's been a while sense we were both up here at the same time."

"I know," he laughs. "I kind of miss it. You know, back when I was still able to watch your every move."

I smile. "So what did you want to talk about?"

"Um...I wanted to talk to you about last night."

"Don't worry about it. It's in the past."

"I'm not worried about it. I just want to know what it was about."

I sigh. "I just...ran into a problem when I was telling all the boys I was safe."

"What kind of problem?"

"I told you Jack, it doesn't matter."

"It matters to me Liv," Jack says, trying not to raise his voice. "Will you please just tell me."

I could just tell him everything. After all, I wasn't dating Oscar anymore. I could just tell him how I dated behind his back and that I'm pregnant and that Oscars the father. Maybe Race is right. Maybe Jack can help.

Who am I kidding? If I tell Jack the truth now, it would cause even more problems. "I just...I had a run in with...um...the Delancey brothers." That isn't a total lie.

Jack bites his cheek. "What did they do to you?"

Broke my heart, ruined my life, were dirty rotten liars. "Just soaked me a bit."

"But...you look fine. All I see are the bruises on your neck that dad gave you."

"Well...um..."

"Hey!" I hear Mush call. "Jack! Liv!Where are you guys?!"

"Oh look at that, the others are up. We better get down there." I quickly hug Jack. "This was a nice talk."

"Liv wait-"

"Sorry, I don't want the boys to worry!" I climb down the ladder and run back into the lodging house, colliding with Race in the process. "Oh, sorry Race."

"It's fine," he says, rubbing his head. "Why are you in such a rush?"

"Jack was wondering why I was so upset yesterday and I thought about telling him about Oscar."

"Did you?"

"I said I thought about it. I ended up saying that the Delanceys soaked me yesterday."

"But the only bruises you have are from your stupid father."

"And that's why I ran away," I reply with a smile. "Anyways, can you buy my papes for me today? I'll give you money."

"Liv, you realize you can't just hide from Oscar forever."

"I'm not hiding from him! I just...don't want him to see me."

"Um, yeah that's hiding."

"Fine! I'm hiding from him! Can you just bye my papes for me today? I'll give you the money."

"I'll buy them for you," Race says, putting his arm around my shoulders. "But you need to know, you can't hide from him forever."

I sigh. "Sadly, I know."
------------------------
"Liv, come on. We need to buy our papes," Jack says.

"I'm just going to ask Race to buy them," I reply with a small, fake cough. "I don't feel so well and I don't want the other boys to get sick."

He puts his hand on my forehead. "You don't feel warm."

"I guess it might just be a cold. Either way, I don't want anyone else getting sick. Go ahead, I'll wait here."

"Ok?" Jack looks at me once more before walking to get in line.

I sigh before looking at the distribution window, locking eyes with Oscar. I feel my heart start to race and tears sting my eyes as I pull myself away from his gaze. "Don't cry," I think. "Don't let him know that you miss him."

"Liv!"

I get shaken out of my thoughts. "What?"

"I got your papes," Race says, handing them to me.

"Thanks."

"Hey, are you doing ok?"

"Yeah," I say, glaring at Oscar. "I'm fine."
------------------------
"Extra! Extra! Jewel thief on the loose!" I yell.

"I think the story is about the mayor buying his wife a necklace," I hear an all to familiar voice say.

I sigh. "Go away Mr. Delancey."

"I need to talk to you."

"You said all you had to yesterday."

"Will you at least look at me?"

"I rather not look at a lier." For a moment I don't hear a reply. I smile, thinking he might have left. Suddenly, I'm lifted up and thrown over his shoulder. "Oscar! Let me go!"

"Not until you listen to me."

"No! Now let me down."

He walks into a nearby ally. "Okay." He puts me down but keeps a tight grip on my hands. "Will you listen to me?"

"Let me think. You lied to me, then picked me up and took me into an ally against me will. So...no!" I yell, struggling to get out of his grasp.

"If you just listen to me you would know I said all that stupid stuff to protect you!"

I stop squirming. "What?"

"I knew you would listen," he smirks.

"Don't push your luck." I glare at him. "What do you mean you said all that stuff to protect me? You seemed like you meant it."

"I-if I hadn't said all those lies, I know Morris would've hurt you. Who knows what he could've done! He could've put you in the refuge o-or worse! I did it to protect you, Liv."

I narrow my eyes. "How do I know you aren't lying. You've lied to me before."

"You don't," he sighs. "You just have to trust me."

I sigh and look into his eyes, as if I would find answer in them. As soon as his eyes meet mine, my heart flutters. "Oscar, I don't want to be heart broken anymore. Please, tell me the truth."

"I already did." I feel his hands leave mine and wrap around the waist. "And I know I'm a gigantic jerk who doesn't deserve you...but I love you. And I know that you probably don't believe me, but it's true. I want to be in our kids life. I want to help you. I want to be a dad." He smiles a bit and runs a finger down my cheek. "Please forgive me."

I sigh. "Sometimes I really hate how much I love you back," I say before kissing him. He smiles and pulls me closer, kissing me back. "But," I say pulling away. "I swear if you screw up one more time, I will personally help the other newsies soak ya into next week."

"I won't! I promise! I swear on my life!" He smiles before placing a hand on my stomach. "I can't loose you guys, not again."