Chapter 19

I couldn't sleep at all last night. All I could do was think about was the fact that my father was free. Well, that and the fact that, if I want to sell, I'll have to see Oscar again today.

"You awake, Liv?" I hear Jack call.

I look up at the bed above me. "No yelling wake up call?"

"I'm not feeling it." He jumps down from his bed and yawns. "How did you sleep?"

"I didn't. You?"

"Not a wink." He sighs. "So, are you still going to sell today?"

"Do I have a choice?" I ask, standing up. "I have to eat. That isn't going to change now that dads out of jail."

"I can make enough money to get you some food. Liv, with dad free, it's even more dangerous out there."

"I know."

"And....your still going to go?"

"I'm tired of being scared of my own father, Jack. I'm selling and that's final."

"I really hate how head strong you are sometimes," Jack sighs. "Fine. But, please just be careful."
------------------------
"Liv? Liv? Liv!"

I get shaken out of my trance. "What? What happened?"

Race laughs. "You've been staring at the distribution center for about five minutes."

My face drops. "I'm not sure if I can face him after yesterday."

"Yes you can, Liv. I'm not about to let Oscar get the last laugh. You are going to walk up and get your papes and act of you don't even know who he is. And, if he tries to talk to you, just ignore him." Race smiled and takes my hand. "You can do this."

I nod before walking up to the window.

"As so we meet again," Morris glares. "You really think it was worth saving that little street rat?"

"The only rats here are you and your stupid brother," I reply, glaring at Oscar. I feel a pain in my chest as I look at him, but I need to stay strong. I slam down my money. "Fifty papes."

"With that attitude you're asking for a soaking you little-"

"Here," Oscar interrupts, handing me my papes. "Fifty papes."

I glare daggers at the brother before taking my papers and walking away. I can practically feel Oscar's gaze burning into the back of my head. Today is going to be a long day.
------------------------
My mind wanders as I walk around Central Park. I can't think about selling, all I could think about was Oscar.

"Excuse me miss," a gruff voice says from behind me. "I'll take a paper."

I sigh as I turn around to face the man, handing him his pape. "Here you go, sir." I look up at the man. He is at least a foot taller than me and very skinny, but strong. He had a tattered and torn hat placed atop his head, hiding his eyes. He looked...familiar. "That will be one penny please."

"Of corse," he says, handing me my money. A sly smile is plastered on his face.

I look at the man up and down, trying to find out where I've seen him. "You...you look familiar. Have you bought from me before."

"I was just about to say the same about you. But, I'm afraid I haven't bought from anyone in a while. I've been gone for about thirteen years."

Thirteen years...no. It can't be. "Sir, c-can you remove your hat? Y-you look very similar."

The man removes his hat, revealing his brown eyes. I look closer at them, when I see something I hoped to never see again. "Jack's sparkle," I mumble.

"Well hello Livianna. It's been a while."

I drop my papes and slowly start to back up. "Hello Robert. G-good to see you again."

"Aww, come on Livianna. What's with all this 'Robert' nonsense? What ever happened to 'dad?'"

"Your guess is as good as mine. I've never met him," I reply. "Well, it's been great seeing you again but I have to go. I told J-er... I mean Francis that I would meet him."

My father laughs. "Oh I don't think so," he says, grabbing my arm. "I've missed you while I was locked up."

I wince. "Wish I could say the same for you."

"I feel like we should have some...bonding time," he says, tightening his grip.

"W-what about my brother?"

"I could care less about that sorry excuse for a son, but you," he says, tightening his grip. "You're not a disappointment."

I go to slap him, only to get stopped my him. "Now is that a good way to treat your father?"

"Let me go!"

"No way. I've waited to get out of that rotten place for thirteen years. Now I'm getting my daughter back." He starts to drag me into an ally.

"Race! Jack! Help!!"

"Oh shut up," my father says, slapping me.

I wince before glaring at him. "Make me!"

"My pleasure." In that moment, he slams my head against a brink wall. "Now maybe you'll learn to listen to me."

I glare through my blurred vision. "I'll never listen to you," I mumble before blacking out.

(AN: Hey guys! Thanks for reading! I just wanted to see if you all were enjoying the story or if there are things I can add or improve on. Thanks! 💖theatergirlmgm 🦄)