Chapter 5

"Hey Race?" I ask as we walk to the track.

"Liv, I can't control the smell. You just have to learn to deal with it."

I tilt my head. "That's not what I was going to ask."

"Oh. How can I help you?" He smiles.

"Can I sell on the opposite side of the track from now on? It's not that I don't like being near you, but it's hard to sell when we're so close."

"I don't know Liv," Race sighs. "This isn't the safest place and I don't think Jack would want you wandering by yourself."

"Why would Jack have me sell with you in the first place then?"

"Don't ask me about the crazy stuff that goes on in your brothers mind. Quite frankly it's a mystery to all of us," Race laughs.

"Please Race? You know I can handle myself." I smirk. "I'll get you a pack of coronas."

Race thinks for a second. "Well, because I'm feeling so generous today, I guess you can."

I roll my eyes. "The world would die without you," I say sarcastically as I walk to the other side of the track. "Extra! Extra! Freak storm puts millions at risk!"

Race was right, it wasn't the safest of places. There was drunk people everywhere and none of them looked friendly. But, they're easy to scam, making them great customers.

"Extra! Extra! Freak storm pu-" Suddenly, a hand pulls me into a nearby ally way, causing me to drop all my papes.

"So, you're Jack Kelly's little sister." The figures voice reeks of alcohol.

I start to struggle. "Who are you?!"

"Allow me to introduce myself doll face. The name is Scar." He runs a hand across my cheek. "I'm surprised your brother hasn't mentioned me. He does hate us Harlem kids."

I narrow my eyes. "Yeah. So what?"

Scar laughs. "So, when someone offers me the chance to soak his little sister, I'm going to take it." With that, he punches me across the face.

I wince. "Who told you to come here?"

"Just a old friend of mine. Ever heard of Morris Delancey?"

My eyes widen. I didn't do anything to Morris! Well, recently at least. I push Scar. "I didn't do anything to him!"

He smirk, punching me in the stomach. "Maybe not, but he payed me good money. Plus, it never hurts to annoy Jacky boy now and then." Scar slams me against the wall, throwing several hard punches across my face.

"Just let me go!" I yell, trying to get out of hide grasp.

"Aww, that's no fun." He tosses me to the ground. "Your brother isn't here to save you now, is he toots."

I narrow my eyes. "I don't need him to save me. I can handle myself."

"Yeah, that's why your loosing." Scar smirks and raises his hand to continue what he started.

"Scar. That's enough. I can handle the girl from here."

"Come on. Your brother payed me good
money."

I slowly open my eyes and see Oscar standing at the opening of the ally way.
A glint sparkles off his hand. "Great," I think. "Brass knuckles. Now I'm really dead."

"And you earned it. I can handle it from here," Oscar replies.

"Fine." Scar looks at me and kicks me in the stomach before running off.

I push myself away form Oscar. "Get away from me."

"It's ok. I won't hurt you," Oscar says and he crouches down.

I laugh. "Like I'm going to trust you."

He takes off his brass knuckles, placing them to his side. "I won't hurt you."

"I don't trust you," I say, scooting farther back.

He sighs. "Well, I don't blame you."

We sit in silence for a moment before I decide to speak. "Well? Get it over with. Soak me."

"I told you, I'm not going to."

I laugh. "Yeah right. You're a Delancey. You LOVE to hurt others."

"Wow. Harsh," he replies.

"Yeah, well, it's the truth."

"If it was the truth, why haven't I done it yet," he says looking at me.

I open my mouth to retort, but nothing comes out. "I-I don't know."

Oscar smirks. "Maybe I'm not as bad as you think."

Suddenly, I hear Race calling me. "Liv?! Liv where are you?!"

"I guess that's my cue to leave." Oscar stand up, picking his brass knuckles off the ground. "See you around Liv."

I watch him walk into the dark ally. "What the heck just happened?"

"Liv!" Race yells, running up to me. "Liv what happened?! I heard you scream!" He looks me up and down. "Who did this?"

"Just some jerk from Harlem."

"We have to get you back." Race helps me up. I lean on him for support as I limp out of the ally, glancing back as we leave."

"Oscar just saved me." I think. "Oscar just saved me."

(AN: Hey everyone! I want to know if those of you reading like this book. Is it good, bad, ok? What do you think? Let me know and keep being awesome!💖theatergirlmgm 🦄)