Chapter 6

"What?! Jack you have to let me sell! How else will I be able to eat?!" I yell.

"Liv, you got soaked again. And you won't tell me by who! How am I supposed to be ok with letting you go out and sell?"

"Because I need to eat! It's sort of a necessity of life!"

"I can sell a few extra papes to get you the money to eat."

"Ugh!" I yell, flopping on my bed.

"Jack, maybe you should let her sell," Race says. "And back at her old selling spot."

"Why would I do that, Race? She needs someone to protect her. That's why I had her sell with you."

"She never got soaked there. She got soaked in Harlem and at the track. Maybe it's safer for her if she just sells there."

Jack sighs. "Race...I don't know."

"Jack, think about it. She sold in Central Park. That's a safe place. Plus, she's miserable selling with me." He puts a hand on Jacks shoulder. "Let her have some freedom."

Jack looks from me to Race and back to me before sighing. "Fine!"

I stand up and wrap him in a hug. "Thank you! I don't think I could stand being trapped at the tracks with Race again!"

"Thanks Liv," Race replies sarcastically.

Jack laughs and hugs me back. "No problem. Just be careful ok?"
------------------------
"Get your papes!" Morris yells.

"So, Morris," Jack says, slamming his coins down. "You know anything about my little sister getting soaked?"

Morris smirks. "That's just going to have to remain a secret Jacky boy." Morris slams down the papes. "Though, maybe she could spend a night with me. Maybe she isn't as little as you think."

Jack lunges at him, grabbing the bars separate them. "You better shut up if you know what's good for you."

Morris smirks. "Just telling you the truth Jack."

Jack glares at the other boy, before grabbing his papes and waking away.

"Well, Morris, as flattered as I am I think I'm a bit out of your league." I slam my coins down. "I only date boys who can count to twenty."

Morris narrows his eyes before going back to get my papes. Once he is out of hearing range, I turn to Oscar. "You saved me," I whisper.

Oscar shrugs. "No big deal."

"Why? Why did you do that?"

"I have my reasons."

"Yeah but-"

I get cut off by Morris slamming my papers down. "Here. Fifty papes."

"You sure? I'm not so sure I can trust your counting skills," I smirk, taking my papers and walking away from the window.

"I hate those two," Jack mumbles.

"Morris just wants to annoy you Jack."

"Yeah? Well it's working."

I tilt my head. "I don't think that's the way your support to react."

"Well, it's the way I'm reacting," he replies, playfully pushing me. "I'm heading out. Be safe today ok?"

"I will be." Not soon after Jack leaves, I start to sell my papers too. "Extra! Extra! Train derails and kills hundreds!" In reality, the story was about the mayors son getting a toy train, only to break it by throwing it across the toy tracks. But, hey, I need to make a living somehow.