Chapter 9

"So," Oscar says. "How would you feel about meeting me at the distribution center tonight for our first date?"

I laugh a bit. "Sounds romantic, but I can't."

"Why not?"

"Jack doesn't allow me out after dark unless I'm with him or one of the other boys."

"Why not just sneak out? You've already rebelled enough."

"N-no. I can't. I couldn't do it anyway. He would find out."

"Get someone to cover for you."

I think for a second. "Race."

Oscar laughs. "So that's why Race was staring at me this morning. You told him didn't you?"

"He's my best friend. And I had to tell someone! And I never said we were dating, just that we kissed."

"Well, so much for the 'our secret' thing."

"Sorry," I laugh.

"It's fine." Oscar pushes a strand of hair behind my ear. "So, tonight at the distribution center? Say, eight o'clock?"

I can't help but melt into his hand. "Jacks going to kill me if he finds out, but ok. I'll get Race to cover for me."
------------------------
"No!" Race yells.

"Race please!"

"No Liv!" He stands up from his bed and walks over to me. "I'm keeping your secret from your brother, but I'm not going to make something up to let you sneak out."

"Race this is the only way we will be able to spend time together without worrying someone will see."

"I. Don't. Care. Liv, this is a bad idea all around. You're going to meet up with Oscar at night at some place that no one else is at. Do you not see red flags?"

"If it was anyone besides Oscar, would you do it?"

"W-well..." Race trails off. "Maybe."

"Ugh! You're just like Jack!" I yell, flopping face first on my bed.

"Liv, come on. You know that's not true."

"Oh yeah?" I flip over on my back. "So you'll help me."

"I never said that..."

I sit up. "Race, Jack warns me enough about Oscar. I don't need you to do it as well. Please, PLEASE just help me."

Race rubs the back of his neck. "Liv, I...Its just..."

"It's fine," I say standing. "I'll just stay here. Sad, cold, deprived of any love." I sigh and look up Race.

"I hate you for being so dramatic." Race sighs then laughs. "Alright! I give up. I'll cover for you."

I smile and wrap him in a tight hug. "Oh thank you! Thank you, thank you!"

"Wow Liv, don't kill Race," Jack laughs as he walks through the door. "What are you so happy about anyways?"