Chapter 20

"What happened?" I mumble, slowly sitting up. I look around before realizing I was in a place I never thought I would see again. "Oh no."

It was the bedroom that Jack and I used to share. The same one where our mother would kiss is good night. The same one our father would hit us in every night. I stroke the comforter of the bed. It's the same raggedy old quilt that was there thirteen years ago.

"I see you made yourself at home."

I jump at the voice, looking over my shoulder to find my father. "How do you still own this place?"

"I don't. This place has been abandoned sense I was locked up."

"I didn't hear you come in."

"Good, I didn't want you to," he says, sitting down next to me.

I scoot away. "What do you want from me?"

"I've missed you. I just want to talk, bond a bit maybe."

"Well, I haven't missed you, so get out."

Suddenly, I feel his hands grip my neck. "You listen to me you little rat. You are under my roof and you will live by my rules. You will not speak to me like that again. Am I clear?"

I cough, trying to pull his hands away, only causing him to grip my neck tighter. So, I just nod in response.

"Also, you will not leave this house. You will not send any letters or have any for of communication to anyone. You are condemned to this room and are going to stay here. Understood?"

"Y-yes sir," I croak. He releases my neck, causing me to cough and gasp for air.

"Good. I was worried a stupid street rat like you wouldn't get the message."

I glare at him, rubbing my neck. "The message was perfectly clear, sir. So, what do you want me here for?"

"The usual things rats like you useful for; cleaning, laundry, maybe a bit of sewing."

"Last I checked I was your daughter, not your slave." I feel a sharp pain erupt from my cheek.

"Don't remind me of that mistake you pest! And what did I say about talking back?!"

"Sorry, sir."

"You should be. Here," he says, putting down a basket of clean laundry. "You can start by folding that." And without another word, he walks out, slamming the door shut.
------------------------
I've been a slave to my own father for about three weeks now. I know what your thinking, why don't I escape? Trust me, I've tried. The room I'm trapped has a door that is locked from the outside. The window is stuck shut and, even if it wasn't, there are bars that would prevent me from climbing out.

But, that's the least of my concerns at the moment. I've started vomiting every morning and my stomach has been getting a bit bigger. And trust me, it isn't because I'm eating a lot. I hardly get any food.

"Livianna!" I hear my father call.

I groan. "What is it?!"

The door swings open. "Why is the laundry not done and folded."

I completely for got about the laundry. I was throwing up all this morning and was exhausted last night. "I'm sorry sir. I'll have it done by tonight at the very latest."

"It was suppose to be done today!" He booms, stepping closer to me.

"I-it slipped my mind. I was a bit busy. I'll get it done by this afternoon," I say, stepping back.

"Stop moving away from me!" He grabs my wrist and pulls me so I'm right in front of him. "You should be grateful! I took you in off the streets! I give you a warm bed and food to eat and a roof over your head at no cost!"

"I-I am grateful sir. I really am." I've never seen him this mad before. He yells at me all the time, but never like this. "I...I can get the laundry done in two hours."

"Forget about the stupid laundry you rat! That's not the point!"

"Um...o-ok sir. Is there something else you would like?"

"Yes," he says, grabbing the collar of my shirt and pulling me so we are touching noses. "I want respect. Do you understand?"

"Y-yes sir."

"I am your father and I shale be treated as-" I notice his gaze travel down to my stomach, causing my heart to race. He slowly let's go of my shirt and smirks. "You get busy at newsies square don't you?"

I slowly back away. "With all due respect sir, I-I don't know what you mean."

"Oh don't play dumb! You know darn well what I mean!" He starts to sigh, but it turns into a chuckle. "I bet you don't even know the father."

Those words cause my blood to boil. I was done pretending. "I know good and well who the father is you jerk!"

Suddenly, he grabs me tightly by the neck and pulls me close. "What did you just say to me?!"

"O-Oscar Delancey. T-the father is a guy named Oscar Delancey."

My father looks me up and down before pushing me away from him. "I want you out of this house right now."

What?" I cough out.

"You heard me! Get! Out! I will not have the likes of you living under this roof!" I quickly nod and start to walk out before he grabs me by the arm and stops me. "And you better not tell anyone about anything. Do I make myself clear?"

I nod. "Crystal, sir."