Chapter 30

By the time I left the refuge it had already been dark for a hours, but I didn't care. The only reason I even left was because Morris was coming to check on the place. About a block away from the lodging house, I stop and turn down an allyway. I couldn't bare to face Jack again after what he said.

Near the end of the ally, I find a small box. "Better than nothing," I mumble, curling up inside of it and slowly drifting off to sleep.
------------------------
"Liv! Wake up!"

I jolt awake to someone yelling and shaking me. "Race?" I mumble. "What are you doing?"

"There's no time to explain. All you need to know is that you need to go to the refuge. Now!"

"Why?" I ask, slowly stand up. "What's wrong?"

"Jack is...not happy to say the least."

"And...you're just realizing this now? He made it pretty clear when he said he was 'ashamed' of me."

"It's not about you or the fact that you were pregnant!" Race yells before taking a deep breath to calm down. "When you didn't come back last night, Jack got worried. He thought you were planning on running away with Oscar. The thought of that put him over the edge. So, he rounded up the older boys and left for the refuge this morning. He said he wanted to 'end this once and for all.'"

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know. But judging by the look on his face, he isn't going to take it easy on Oscar."

I sigh and sit down. "It doesn't matter at this point."

"What do you mean it doesn't matter?!"

"I mean it doesn't matter, Race!" I yell. "My brother hates me, the boys don't trust me and for all I know Oscar could be laying on the ground dead! I messed up! I just have to accept it."

"Do you love him?"

"Who?"

"Oscar. Do you love Oscar?"

"Race, can we just stop talking about it?"

"No! Liv, this isn't something you'll be able to hide from!" he yells. "What happened, happened and no matter what you do you can't change that! But you can stop things from getting worse!"

"No I can't. Jack won't listen to me even if I did go."

"Do you really think that your brother would rather loose you than let you be with Oscar?! Because that's just stupid!"

"Hey!"

"I'm being serious! You guys are the only family you have left! Be glad you even have that! Do you know what I would go through to get my brother or parents back?! I would do practically anything to see them again! And most of the other boys would do anything to see their families again! Jack may seem like he won't change his mind, but if it was between loosing you and allowing you to date Oscar, he would change his
mind in a heart beat."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to tell you," Race says as he sits down next to me. "That, if you really love Oscar, you need to stop your brother."

"How?"

"Did you not hear what I just said about how Jack would give anything to keep from loosing you?"

"No...I heard," I sigh.

"Then why are you still here? Come on! Get up!" Race says, standing up and pulling me with him.

"What if it's to late? What if Jack already did what he wanted to do?"

"Then you'll deal with it then. But, you have a chance to stop it. I suggest you take it."

I smile a bit before wrapping Race in a hug. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome," he says, hugging me back. "Now go save your Romeo."

I smile at him before running off towards the refuge.

(AN: Hello Everyone! So this book is coming to a close but, I have good news! As we speak, a new book of mine is out. It is called "Unsinkable: A Racetrack Higgins Fanfiction" and it takes place on the Titanic. It tells the story of my personal favorite ship, Race and Sarah Jacobs. It would be awesome if you guys could check it out. I've been working on it for a while. Just look under my stories. 💖theatergirlmgm 🦄)