Chapter 14

"Well, now that your brothers gone," Oscar smirks, leaning into kiss me again.

"Oscar," I stop him. "I don't think this is a good idea."

"What?"

"We almost got caught."

"We almost get caught no matter where we go."

"It's just that, Jack could've seen."

"Your brother watches you like a hawk," Oscar mumbles.

"It's just because he cares."

"If he really cares, he would let you be with whoever you want!" Oscar yells. "You shouldn't have to be worried when we kiss! You shouldn't have to worry about hiding that you like me! I'm tired of hiding because of your brother! I'm tired of you being ashamed to love me!"

"I'm not! Jack just...isn't ready yet. He is trying to protect me."

"Protect you from me," Oscar scoffs. "I have to go."

"Oscar don't go. I didn't mean it like that," I say, grabbing his hand.

"I have to leave anyways," Oscar says, pulling his hand away and walking to the window. "See you around." And with that, he leaves.

"O-ok...love you too..." As soon as Oscar left, I broke down into tears. "What did I do wrong? Does he not like me anymore?" I put my face in my hands. "What have I done?"
------------------------
"Hey Liv," I hear Race call. I don't respond. "Liv?" I hear him walk in. "What happened?"

"It doesn't matter," I mumble.

"It obviously does matter," he says, sitting next to me. "What's wrong?"

I sigh. "Oscar came to visit me here after he realized I wasn't at the distribution center this morning."

"Ok...what did he do?"

"He didn't do anything. We were kissing and Jack came to check on me."

"Did you get caught?"

I shake my head. "No. But it was close."

"I don't see what the problem is, Liv."

"Well, after Jack left, Oscar wanted to pick up where we left off, but I told him no. I told him it was a bad idea. He got mad and...left."

Race sighs and hugs me. "Oh Liv."

"H-he didn't even do anything but leave." I look at Race. "What if he doesn't like me anymore?"

"Those Delanceys are trouble, Liv. Maybe it's for the best that he left."

"But-but I still like him, a lot."

"Maybe it's not meant to be. Oscar and Morris are womanizers. You did the right thing, Liv. Who knows what Oscar could have wanted."

I hug Race, crying into his shoulder. "Do you think that all he wanted? That he didn't even love me?"

He sighs. "I think Oscar wanted to play with your heart and see what would happen."

"What if he got what he wanted? What would happen?"

"I'm not sure Liv. My guess is that he would probably just leave."

I pull away from Race and burrow my face into my pillow. "Why did I think that he was good?"

"It was probably what he wanted. To get close to you, only to hurt you in the worst way."

I sigh. "You're smarter than the other boys think."

"I have my moments."

I turn over on my back so I can face him. "Can you stay so I don't have to be alone?"

"Hey, I'm you're best friend am I?" He laughs, pushing me a bit. "Of corse I'll stay."
------------------------
"Wow, this is boring," Race says as he shuffles some cards.

"Now you see why I didn't want to be alone." I pacing the room. I've stopped crying, but my eyes are still red and puffy.

"You want to play poker?"

I shake my head and stop walking. "I want to talk to Oscar."

"Liv, I don't-"

"I have to talk to him. I have to know if he loves me or not."

Race sighs. "What about Jack? Everyone is bound to be done selling soon. What do you think your brother will do when he finds you gone?"

"Tell him I went for a walk."

"You're suppose to be resting."

"Then tell Jack I needed some air. I need to talk to Oscar one way or another."

"D-do you even know where to find him?"

"Yeah. I know where he lives."

"What? How do you know where he lives?"

"Remember how I was missing for a night?"

"Yeah? So?"

"I was at Oscars house," I say, grabbing my hat and walking towards the door.

"Liv, are you sure. Your eyes are still red from all the crying you've been doing."

I sigh and turn around to face Race. "I need to know. Cover for me ok?" And with that, I walk out.