Chapter 31

DRAKE WOKE UP to find a sleeping women’s head snuggled in the crook of his neck and his brows instantly furrowed. He concentrated until his eye sight was up to par and sleep had been wiped away from them and he realized that an unmistakable head of auburn hair was what he was looking down at.

Tabitha.

He groaned and tried to remember what happened earlier that morning after they’d left the hospital. Drake knew that he had followed her to her apartment only to get into another argument with her… then they had sex. For two people who were tired, they went at it like untamed animals. All their frustrations, anger and guilt were wiped away for the moment as they found pleasure and comfort in each other’s arms. It was pure and raw unadulterated sex.

Plain and simple.

He felt her stir and when he looked down a pair of sleepy hazel eyes were staring up at him. “We had sex, didn’t we?” She asked unperturbed to have awoken next to him.

“Yeah.” He answered with worry etched on his face.

She chuckled. “Don’t worry. I’m not going to freak out on you and kick you out. I obviously wanted it as bad as you did Mills.”

“Drake.” He muttered.

Cocking a brow, she sat up without even bothering to take the initiative to hide her nudity. “What?”

“It’s Drake.” He repeated with a glare towards her. “I can’t help but think that you’re talking about my brother. We have first names for a reason.”

“Insecurity doesn’t go with you,” she deadpanned.

“What else am I suppose to think? You’re sleeping with the both of us,” he snapped back. He was starting to feel angry but more so at himself then her. He’d just slept with his little brother’s ex. The same ex he’d help abort his brother’s baby even though he knew it was wrong of him to do so. Damn it, if love didn’t make men do crazy things.

Shame and guilt couldn’t have found a better victim to stick their teeth into. What made it worst was the idea that if he could do it all over again, he wouldn’t have changed much. He loved her way too much. Only the high heavens knew when it happened but it did.

“I’m not sleeping with the both of you, you idiot!” She retorted as she grabbed a pillow and smacked him in the face with it. “I haven’t touched Jason in five years and until a few hours ago I haven’t ever seen you naked.”

Drake smirked, his annoyance automatically dissolving. “And who looks better naked?”

“Well considering Jason was only a teenager five years ago and you’re a grown man now…”

His smirked became a wide grin. “Good answer.” Grabbing her by the naked waist he hauled her on top of himself, grabbed the back of her neck and roughly brought her lips down to his in a heated kiss. Guilt be damned. The feeling that he got when he was touching her blocked out everything he felt when he thought of his brother— who had obviously moved on.

-Half an hour prior

                Machayla stared down at a sleeping Jason with a guilt filled conscious as she fought to convince herself that what she was about to do was good… for her. She needed to find herself; she needed to learn to stand on her own two feet without a human crutch. Physically, she wasn’t very strong but mentally and emotionally she was.

Was, being the key word. It was a word used for past-tense, used for before. Yes, Mason did a great job of breaking her down the best he could. But she realized that even after all that has happened to her, she was still standing. Maybe not straight, maybe a bit battered and bruised but she was still standing.